Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #41

Keep the 7.3 you cant go wrong
Old 12-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #42

just noticed eddy boyle is not on here
WELL !! we all had a good discussion about it yaaaaaaaaa
im east bound an down headed for that snow country watchin for that smoke the bear yehaaaw
Old 12-15-2021, 03:10 AM   #43
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP View Post
Keep the 7.3 you cant go wrong
If ya get too much camper or load for the 7.3 with the wrong axle ratio and towing in high altitude mountains you could go wrong.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:06 AM   #44

I like the year of Dodge you have.You may be able to fix issues a lot cheaper than buying new and there is no guarantee any vehicle will not break on you.The new ones are very nice trucks though.Good luck deciding.
majorflee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #45

cross country old black betty

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c3a.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	614.4 KB
ID:	266708

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c3c.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	266709

Name:	fullsizeoutput_c38.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	266710
Old 12-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoyle View Post
I own a '08 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 205,000 miles. I want to drive from the East Coast to Yellowstone in Sept of 2022. What advice do you have for preparing the truck for the trip? (We own a Forest River Vibe, with an EW around 7,100 lbs.) The truck AC is broken. The electronic fuel injector light is illuminated. Truck still has the original tranny. We've replaced some rusted brake lines and redone the whole front end and replaced the water pump summer of '20. I don't want to break down on this trip. What suggestions would you give for preparation of this truck for a cross country trip pulling the Vibe?
I'd have a good mechanic look it over. Even if you do your own work not bad to have a second set of eyes on things. I'd be extra careful to check out the frame integrity if you live in a snow state. RAM frames have some design flaws that allow salt water to pool and cause rust. In areas that are almost impossible to wash out. My 2006 frame just rusted apart and the repairs would have cost as much as the truck was worth.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #47

We used to drive across the country in $200 old American cars with over 100 k miles on them. My first trip was in a 1957 Chevy in 1969. We mostly went about 50 mph. We had a few issues and brought tools and fixed them. The old tires were not so good. We bought used ones and recaps. Once I had three flats in one day.

Modern vehicles are much better especially diesels.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
We used to drive across the country in $200 old American cars with over 100 k miles on them. My first trip was in a 1957 Chevy in 1969. We mostly went about 50 mph. We had a few issues and brought tools and fixed them. The old tires were not so good. We bought used ones and recaps. Once I had three flats in one day.

Modern vehicles are much better especially diesels.
My father used to buy bias ply recaps for his then new '61 Chevy. They would last about 12,000 miles and cost about $15 each.
OP, fix what you have, pre-DEF trucks are golden.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #49

New Or Old fix or don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorflee1 View Post
I like the year of Dodge you have.You may be able to fix issues a lot cheaper than buying new and there is no guarantee any vehicle will not break on you.The new ones are very nice trucks though.Good luck deciding.
well i have thought a couple of time on selling Old Black Betty
but for what i can aford i figure id be in the same boat..
just starting over . i do regular maintainets. i even grease my drive shaft probably 4 times yr uper & lower Ball's, steering, if i go on a trip i bring greas gun cooler clamps,motor oil,trannie oil, a filter , gear lube, i think the spot the guy was talking about on the frame is up front by the steering box,,

i know my trucks limits .

i am working on the frame issue in the back im welding in some suports .. i have never felt it twest like some people say. but that could be big turn,injectors,tunner,,I do run a tuner. a EDGE EASEY..
if i had a 7.3 & std in her i could pull more....a lot of work & she ant new. i got better things to spend my money than on new
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pJcWmJuoRq+HLeEJfdv6SQ.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	628.3 KB
ID:	266715  
Old 12-15-2021, 07:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoyle View Post
I own a '08 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 205,000 miles. I want to drive from the East Coast to Yellowstone in Sept of 2022. What advice do you have for preparing the truck for the trip? (We own a Forest River Vibe, with an EW around 7,100 lbs.) The truck AC is broken. The electronic fuel injector light is illuminated. Truck still has the original tranny. We've replaced some rusted brake lines and redone the whole front end and replaced the water pump summer of '20. I don't want to break down on this trip. What suggestions would you give for preparation of this truck for a cross country trip pulling the Vibe?

Are you able to work on a lot of vehicle stuff? As said previously do you/can you get a scan tool and scan for the codes?
There are many items that need inspected and the fluids and filters in the tranny , rear end, front end, power steering, and transfer case need servicing. If the tranny fluid has decent color and doesn’t smell real burned you’ll be ok changing it but if it’s dark and burnt it will be trouble.
The injector light? Not knowing the code it would be a hard diagnosis. But usually on the 6.7 an injector or 2 will have high resistance, stick or partly clogged causing a timing/delivery issue the computer doesn’t like. Also the wiring harness is in the the valve cover gasket and a bad wire or connection on the injector could cause the issue. I changed all 6 injectors on a 2008 Dodge Ram along with the wire harness. Paying for the work would have been really high. The scan tool will tell you which injector circuit/s has a problem.
Hoses, belts, idler pulleys, water pumps, brake lines, fuel lines, trans coolers and lines, intercooler and lines, radiator, brakes, wheel bearings and seals, power steering pump and hoses, fuel filters, air filters, tires, wipers and alternators, battery and cables all need to be inspected and can go bad during a trip. Sounds like a lot and it is but once it’s been inspected, items service and or fixed you’ll be good to go. The new trucks do not impress me at all. Way over engineered and the darn Def systems are a night mare. Oh also I’d start a month earlier on the trip to give you a better weather outlook. It can get slippery in September if the right front comes in.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #51

I think we can close this thread now because it's obvious the OP could care less. He last logged on when he posted this thread and hasn't been back to see the 3 pages of replies or give the courtesy of a response to any...

Tags
cross country, truck