Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2021, 11:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Well, there's a lot of good answers here. What about it EdBoyle? Are you still with us?
He posted the question and hasn't been back since...
Old 12-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #22
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Excellent point it could get very expensive and I think there is a thread about a person stuck or at least the truck is stuck in Bishop Ca. I can see the flip side though a one time 5k or even 10 k repair bill is still cheaper than an 30 to 100k new truck. That said I don’t have 5k. As mentioned nothing is promised and again very valid point

This is the primary reason I just got a new truck myself. My old truck still worked well and the minor repairs that were starting to pop up would have been easily manageable at home but not so much while traveling.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #23

Seems to me the guy stuck in Bishop has a fairly new truck..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #24

Trucks are really expensive. This is a terrible time to buy one. I am not paying over the MSRP and waiting 6 months. I will keep driving my 7.3.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #25

Love my F350 Diesel, 2020. It's more about what can you afford.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:30 PM   #26

Fix what is broke, replace what is worn, perform a full service and drive.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #27

It's cheaper to fix them than to buy them. And it sounds like you've already put some money into it.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBoyle View Post
I own a '08 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 205,000 miles. I want to drive from the East Coast to Yellowstone in Sept of 2022. What advice do you have for preparing the truck for the trip? (We own a Forest River Vibe, with an EW around 7,100 lbs.) The truck AC is broken. The electronic fuel injector light is illuminated. Truck still has the original tranny. We've replaced some rusted brake lines and redone the whole front end and replaced the water pump summer of '20. I don't want to break down on this trip. What suggestions would you give for preparation of this truck for a cross country trip pulling the Vibe?
Tell your Wife that you asked a bunch of knowledgeable people, and they all said you need to get a new truck
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #29

Hmmmmm

You guys must not ever drive your trucks.
My 2000 7.3lt 250 has 365000+.
It’s ugly with more than a few dents and dings and probably wouldn’t be welcome in the finer camping establishments but hey it gets me where I want to go.
Would I like a new truck heck ya.
Would I or, maybe more importantly, could I afford a new truck?
Not a chance.
cantxsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:05 PM   #30

My 1995 with 366,000 miles

Quote:
I own a '08 Dodge 2500 Cummins with 205,000 miles. I want to drive from the East Coast to Yellowstone in Sept of 2022. What advice do you have for preparing the truck for the trip? (We own a Forest River Vibe, with an EW around 7,100 lbs.) The truck AC is broken. The electronic fuel injector light is illuminated. Truck still has the original tranny. We've replaced some rusted brake lines and redone the whole front end and replaced the water pump summer of '20. I don't want to break down on this trip. What suggestions would you give for preparation of this truck for a cross country trip pulling the Vibe?
It is still on the road; this was 8 years ago and doing fine. I delivered RVs for most of the miles then retired to my farm.
maxxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #31

If you want to not worry about anything--buy a new rig! But go on a little break in trip first. These new rigs are awesome and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Or take it to a diesel shop and have them go through the entire truck to include rear-end, tranny, cooling, and electrical system. Maybe some new brakes would be smart too.
S.Edington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Problems that are no more than an inexpensive inconvenience at home are much bigger issues when on the road. At home, you have the luxury of time to get problems fixed but not so much while traveling, especially with a camper in tow. A break down out in the middle of nowhere will cost you quite a bit for just the tow especially if you need your camper towed as well. That's before the actual cost of the repair plus the need for campground accommodations and loss of time while your truck gets fixed.

Do you think your truck can make the journey without a problem and if not, are you prepared to deal with the money and time costs to get it fixed on the road?
We are the best example of being broke down on a trip.
We’ve been here in Bishop, CA for 68 days waiting on a local diesel shop to finish replacing the high pressure pump and all associated parts. They treat the job like it is a retirement job for the young mechanic.
Parts were not a problem, just get them to start and stay on the job.
Another fella in the RV park took his pu in for thermostats, it’s been there for two weeks and they haven’t pulled it into the shop.

Good luck with service on the road.
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #33

I'm in the minority of doing all my own maintenance on every component. To do that you have to be knowledgeable in all aspects of mechanics. Bought a 2012 F350 in 2019, knew it would need some work, mainly cosmetic, along with tires and shocks. When I got it home and gave it a full inspection, discovered to my advantage that it was fully deleted. No DEF required, and no costly fuel burns to regen the DPF.

I knew going into it that the 6.7 HP fuel system is very sensitive and VERY expensive to replace, which was my major concern. I did research and figured out where the weakness is and installed a kit to reduce the possibility of a major repair. I then went over the brakes, suspension, and replaced the springs, shocks, tires, body mounts, and got it ready for towing. I still need to do some front end work replacing the hub seals and hub locks for the 4WD.

If you can do all this, then a 2008 truck, properly maintained, should have no issues doing a cross country trip. OTOH, if you can't do this, then you need a qualified mechanic to do a complete inspection of everything from the ground up. Anything that needs a repair should be repaired.

If using it as an excuse to buy a new truck, well, hope you have deep pockets. New trucks are very expensive, require more maintenance, and don't get as good MPG (diesel). It will be cheaper in the long run, unless the truck suffers body rot, to repair what needs to be repaired and drive the old truck.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post

We are the best example of being broke down on a trip.

We’ve been here in Bishop, CA for 68 days waiting on a local diesel shop to finish replacing the high pressure pump and all associated parts. They treat the job like it is a retirement job for the young mechanic.

Parts were not a problem, just get them to start and stay on the job.

Another fella in the RV park took his pu in for thermostats, it’s been there for two weeks and they haven’t pulled it into the shop.

Good luck with service on the road.
I don't know if I would say you are the best example of being broke down on the road, but you are certainly the worst case scenario! I read your other thread describing your ordeal, and you have more patience than I! I know every business right now can not get enough help, but 68 days!! I grew up in a small town shop, and by now I would assume that for some reason you are at the bottom of their $&+# list. Personally, I would of figured out how to tow everything to another location, but I am not in your shoes, so it is easy to say
I have been broken down on the road when RVing and have been lucky that good shops were within a two hour tow and speedily got me going again.
But back to the buy new or drive old on a long RV trip. It doesn't matter in my opinion. New trucks have problems also. At least on old trucks you usually are familiar with them and can take them anywhere for service and not be stuck at a dealer for warranty.
Another thing that can happen at anytime. A close friend was in CO with a brand new pickup a few months ago. Pulled out into an intersection and was t-boned (his fault). Totaled the truck. RV was fine. Dealing with insurance, he had a new truck and was back on the road in 3 weeks.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #35

My 2004 SLT HD 2500 RAM has 225000 and I just took it from Colorado to PA and back. Palomino in the bed and a UHaul hooked on back.

I also keep up with and usually exceed a normal maintenance schedule. Wheel bearings, pinion, shafts, tires, seals, all that needs to be good. I had my turbo checked for shaft play. My AC does work but had it checked. I proactively replaced my alternator and water pump. In the past two years (not for the first time). Serpentine belt.

I'd love a new one too but this is a crazy time to do that right now IMO. You take care of it, it takes care of you.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #36

The cost for fixing those issues is way less than you'd pay in the first year on depreciation. At 200k, that truck still has lots of life in it if the body is still in good shape.

Some.of what you're describing as an issue could be done in an afternoon if you're handy. Brake lines are fairly straightforward. The injector error could also be within your reach as injectors on a Cummins are fairly straightforward. Personally, if take it to a qualified mechanic and get an estimate for what it's going to cost to make it right and go from there.

I just went from Georgia to Glacier in June in my 2007 F350 PSD. It now has 195k on it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #37

Dodge ram 2500 cross-country

Quote:
i do my own mantaince on mine but i had my transmission rebult 3 yr's ago
5 grand masive amounts of up grades ..
ok will your truck make it ?

what kind of driving habbits do you have lead foot ..??
first what are you towing a 35' ? 14,000 lb

i have a 2000 3500 5.9 cummins 410 g dana80 rear 60 front 4X4 Dually
i chainge my oil every 2000 mi i drive the speed limit No faster .
I also try to drive early in the morning or late in evening. it's cooler.
i do not push my truck.
went on a trip from ny to NC an back camped out in walmart crackerbarrol truck stops durring covid ..
if you take your time an are not pulling a 14,000 lb trailer yaaaa shur
my trailer is a 2608ws UL 5,6??Lb my truck is striped down it ways 7,500 empty this summer im going to lighten the load sum more ..
i have no problem cross country but i have a Ultra light it's about 29 ft hitch to bumper
hope that helps
that engine you have is a very reliable engine
get car shield
have fun
Old 12-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Well, there's a lot of good answers here. What about it EdBoyle? Are you still with us?
I'm gonna say no.

He apparently made that post, immediately logged off and hasn't been back since.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #39

ford 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Just towed our 5vr about 11,000 lbs a little over 1000 miles with 1999 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke. Truck has 217,00 miles on it. I do all the oil and filter changes myself. Had front suspension work done this past summer as well as the tranny serviced at a shop I trust. I would not hesitate changing the oil today and heading out to the west coast from the east. Things can happen to any vehicle but as NMWILDCAT said above, only you know the ins and outs of your truck.
that ford 7.3 is one of fords best ever that engine is highly wanted you can not do better and i drive a
dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins dually custom truck custom 2608ws
lots of work but i like it ..
Old 12-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #40

walmart supplys DEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I've noticed at my local Wal*Mart that SuperTech DEF is in short supply and more frequently the shelves are empty.

I was lucky the other day they must have received a shipment so I purchased it was the same price as normal $7.88 for 2.5 gallons.

Fast forward to yesterday and I notice the shelves were bare again so I asked an associate and they said they haven't been receiving as much as they used to and when they have it in stock it flies off the shelf.
i live nere VT do all my shopping in VT the walmart has no oil for diesel
and i do not use DEF but i did notice there was veary little of that better stock up i am on oil when i can

Tags
cross country, truck