Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #21

I am pulling an 2011 8281ss with a 1500 dodge 04. Truck can handle it but put airbags on before you start pulling it. I did not and I think my leaf spings have lost some curve. Putting airbags next week and will re arch the springs during the summer. Was told by the spring shop that air bags were the way to go not add a leaf.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #22

Thank you all for the valuable information both for being able to pull it and not pull it. I will have to weigh my decision carefully. I do appreciate the help of this forum and its people for a newbie like myself.
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #23

Went and looked at the 5th wheel today, finally. Was in very nice condition, both exterior and interior. He has it listed for $18,900 and said his lowest amount he would take would be $17,500. I told him my research would suggest an offer of $15,000. He could not do that.

I revisited NADA and looks like the 5th wheel is valued between $18,790 (low retail) and $22,645 (average retail). It has one slide that holds the sofa sleeper and dinette table/bed. 2 small bunks, queen master, ceiling fan, both ducted heat and AC. Gas cooktop, microwave/hood. Shower, toilet, small fridge. It has an awning, outside shower, outside grill, dual propane tanks, on demand hot water. Not self contained. Inside has been very nicely kept and looked great.

Anyone want to offer additional thoughts? He is also including his hitch, RBW 15K, no manual or automatic slider. Roof looked good, just had it resealed. No evidence of water leaks inside. No delamination could be seen.

Since I am very new to this, how long do owners finance a 5th wheel for? I hope that does not sound like a stupid question. <5years more than >5 years? I did like it, was a bit dissapointed with the size of the bunk area.

Any thoughts? Good or bad from you experienced campers?

Thank you.
John
Old 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #24

The problem is that he probably paid a lot more than we are paying now for a similar camper, as he bought when the economy was hot. The NADA value seems equally out to lunch.
I can understand why he doesn't want to lose a pile of money, as he will think it isn't his fault that he paid too much. But it isn't your fault either.
That camper is 5 years old, and is not the same as the new ones.
My camper with similar options would have been around $26,000, brand new, with warranty, so there is no way that the 'average retail' on his would be $22,645.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #25

I don't know if you are considering new or not but the 2011 with the bunk room works great for my family. It is me my wife and 2 little boys. The room in back is good we can put a pack and play and still has lots off room. 1/2 bath is not a necessity but is nice, since we plan on having more kids. We paid $29000 for ours and that was with hitch and slide toppers. I don't need slider hitch, it would be nice but can almost make 90 degree turn with dodge short bed. Yes with either camper you will be over the legal limit, but so are hundreds of other people, know your limitations. I do plan on getting 3/4 ton next truck but that is 5 or years away. Right now don't think I would buy diesel, if hemi can do it. Also have friends who have just bunks and wish they would have a bunk room instead. But you have to decide what's best for you and your family.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
Went and looked at the 5th wheel today, finally. Was in very nice condition, both exterior and interior. He has it listed for $18,900 and said his lowest amount he would take would be $17,500. I told him my research would suggest an offer of $15,000. He could not do that.

I revisited NADA and looks like the 5th wheel is valued between $18,790 (low retail) and $22,645 (average retail). It has one slide that holds the sofa sleeper and dinette table/bed. 2 small bunks, queen master, ceiling fan, both ducted heat and AC. Gas cooktop, microwave/hood. Shower, toilet, small fridge. It has an awning, outside shower, outside grill, dual propane tanks, on demand hot water. Not self contained. Inside has been very nicely kept and looked great.

Anyone want to offer additional thoughts? He is also including his hitch, RBW 15K, no manual or automatic slider. Roof looked good, just had it resealed. No evidence of water leaks inside. No delamination could be seen.

Since I am very new to this, how long do owners finance a 5th wheel for? I hope that does not sound like a stupid question. <5years more than >5 years? I did like it, was a bit dissapointed with the size of the bunk area.

Thank you.
John
This will of course be your decision. I am not trying to direct you one way or the other, I'm just give you some information to help with the decision. We have been quite satisfied with our 8281SS and therefore have not been really watching the RV market, to be aware of current trends.

When we purchased ours, we had finanace options up to 15 years in length. I am not sure of the length of loans on a used unit, but would imagine you could get at least a 10 year loan, depending on the amount you are financing. I don't recommend financing any longer than necessary, I am just giving information. The interest on an RV loan is tax deductable.

Retail is the price which would be paid to a dealer for a unit on their lot. When purchasing from a private seller, whether RV or auto, generally you expect to pay less.

From personal experience while shopping for our unit, I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find a fifth wheel with the space and features for a family that the 8281SS offers in the weight range they are. Most all will be much heavier. Because you will be towing with a 1500, that will be a major consideration. The 2006 8281SS will have you right at and in all likelyhood over the capacity of your vehicle. The 2011 8281SS is heavier in both pin weight and dry weight which will only worsen the situation and make the towing experience less enjoyable.

I don't know how much you have shopped around to compare. If you have been looking for awhile and are aware of some of the models and floorplans out there and are confident the 8281SS floorplan will work for you, I wouldn't discount it just becuase of price. It is a little high, but you say it is in good condition. You might still be able to get him down a bit, maybe into the 16,000-16,500 range. You could find another unit for less, but it might be smaller or in all likelyhood heavier, which will make the RV experience less enjoyable.

Don't get yourself into a financial bind so that you now have the fifth wheel, but don't have the money to go out and use it and enjoy it. If you can afford it, there is certainly value in a good condition, well maintained unit which will maximize the capablilities of your tow vehicle. A 1500 really limits your choices in fifth wheels.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Glenn

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #27

Quote:

Thank you.
John
I think to get those NADA prices you must have added in options that were already standard in the trailer's price. You can buy a new 8281SS at RV Wholesalers for $25,000.

The unit you are looking at is a 2006 right? He had the roof resealed already? That means he had a water leak and probably a major one. You have no way of knowing what damage may be hidden behind the walls. With that in mind, and the fact that he is asking way too much for it, I would run, not walk, away from that unit.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #28

I checked the NADA 'average retail' price on mine as a used unit, and it was $3000 more than what I paid brand new last fall. If I tried to sell mine now, even though it is almost brand new, I bet I'd have to take a $3000 haircut, or $6000 under NADA. So that gives you some idea what the '06 might be worth.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
...The unit you are looking at is a 2006 right? He had the roof resealed already? That means he had a water leak and probably a major one. You have no way of knowing what damage may be hidden behind the walls...
???

I assume by "resealed", he is referring to the chalking at all the seams and roof fixtures. That is regular maintenance and on a 5 year old unit should have been done to prevent leaks. It can of course also mean there was a leak, so you need to check, but Camplight said he looked for any indication of leaks. I would hardly "run" from a RV because it is being regularly maintained. I actually consider it a plus.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #30

He told me that he was resealing just for a general rule around 4-5 years of age. Just for maintenance. I point blank asked him and his wife if there was ever a leak and unless they are pretty good liars, their facial expression, body language and tone did not indicate they were lying or had anything to lie about. I could not see evidence of water in the unit or even repainting of areas that might have had water damage. His camper was mostly outside for most of the year at a rental site at Shelle Knob, MO.

I think I entered in the correct items for the NADA site. I am not sure I am double dipping on options that come standard. Not sure what to do. If I buy new, I am spending more money and getting a heavier camper. I want the bunkhouse for my children and room for us adults. I know I am towing just about max for my truck and a new model would put me over the edge. Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #31

Sounds like a pretty good unit, now it is up to you to be a good negotiator. No doubt he wants top dollar, but you can counter by saying that you would be willing to pay $17,500 if it had been stored inside. But it has sat outside all of its life, and the tires probably should be replaced at your expense, so $xx,xxx is what you think it is worth.
Mention what the new models are going for, that might shock him.
Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #32

I do not know how much more he will come down as he was origninally at $18,900. Said he would sell for what he owed, $17,500. I still think $17,500 is too much. Tires actually looked in good shape and condition. He mentioned that he does not really need to sell this camper, but are thinking about a more permanent lake house instead of a 5th wheel. I may counter back to him, but I feel he is fairly stead fast in his price now. We shall see. Is there any way if I have the vin number I can see all options on this camper and get a real feel for price and not worry that I have double dipped when selecting options on NADA? Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tires actually looked in good shape and condition.
Just because the tires look good, it doesn't mean they are. With a 2006 camper, the tires were probably manufactured in 2005 if they are original. 6 year old tires need to be replaced.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Just because the tires look good, it doesn't mean they are. With a 2006 camper, the tires were probably manufactured in 2005 if they are original. 6 year old tires need to be replaced.
X2.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #35

Obviously the man wants to get at least what he still owes on the trailer so he is not taking a loss by selling it. Thus, he will be sticking at the $17,500 figure. If he is not pressed to sell it he will have no incentive to go lower. It may or may not be worth the money he is asking for, but it is understandable that he would not want to sell it and still owe money on it.

You are going to have to put on tires at the minimum. No matter how good the trailer may look, seems there is always something else that needs work when you get it. Factor that in to your costs as well. Also factor in the cost of insurance, title and licensing....as much of the time the purchase price is part of the equation in determining those costs.

I would say that unless this trailer is "exactly" what you want (which sounds like it is not considering the weight issues)....that you continue to look around more before you make a decision. There are precious few trailers out there that have a one of a kind floor plan. If the floor plan is what has sold you on this trailer, do some looking and find other brands with the same one and see if another might fit your needs better.

From what you have said, you have concerns about the weight and towing of this RV and also concerns about the price. Better to continue to do your homework and be really satisfied with your purchase and the price than to be stuck later regretting it. With the gas prices sky rocketing trailer prices will start to fall. Happens every time. Hopefully you will have whatever RV you end up with for a long time and get much enjoyment out of it. Happy camping!
Campingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #36

If he still owes $17,500, he either paid far too much for it, or he financed it over 20 years, which would be utter stupidity.
Either way, that is not your problem, the camper is worth what it is worth, not what he dreams of getting for it.
Check on ebay, there are lots of others out there. My buddy bought a 28-ft KZ lightweight about the same age, that was owned by an elderly gentleman, and only used 3 times. It was as new, and stored inside. My friend bought it for $10,000.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #37

We have decided to walk away from this 5th wheel. We will keep looking. Thank you all for the help, comments and concerns. I have learned a great deal in the last week about this adventure. I still want to pursue this dream, will just have to wait.

Thank you, all of you!
John
Old 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #38

Sellers now countered with $16,000 for the camper. Is there any way I can get the options for the camper using their VIN so I can get a better handle on the value?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #39
camping

also check out what the unit is going for on rv trader and similar websites, thats what I used to know how much to sell my previous trailer.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sellers now countered with $16,000 for the camper. Is there any way I can get the options for the camper using their VIN so I can get a better handle on the value?
Don't think so. Go to the NADA site. Plug in options, like AC, awning, double door fridge, etc......things that would have been options on the trailer orginally. Furnace, water heater, fridge, stab jacks, things like that usually come standard on a trailer so do not check those.

Go to the Rockwood website, and check the brochure for options on current trailers and compare that against the trailer that you are looking at......that ought to get you close to the 2006 model value on the NADA site.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote