Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #101
Coachman 312BHDS

Something sounds funky.

Empty truck total 6060
front axle 3360
rear axle 2700? the difference of above two numbers

Truck plus Trailer 12,120
front axle 3300
rear axle 6900??? that doesn't sound right
trailer axles? 1920??? the difference of top and next two numbers. that doesn't sound right.

I think the truck weight is ok by itself but maybe use a Cat scale the can weigh the entire rig and every axle separately all at once. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something. What are the payload and axle limits from the yellow sticker on the drivers door of your truck? It sounds like you may be blowing the payload and rear axle limits but it shouldn't be with that TT.

front truck
rear truck
trailer axle(s)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #102

I also have driven a tandem tractor/trailer all of my career. 80,000 lb. Gasoline transport...

We just purchased a new TT that I pull with my Chevy half-ton 4x4. Our total weights are similar to yours and my experience is similar.

My advice is to keep driving. It sounds like you have done everything you can to be safe... So the only thing left is experience. Remember the first time you drove the larger car. Scary? It was for me.

... And the new TT handled like nothing I have ever driven. Scary!

We just returned from a 800 round trip to Niagara Falls Canada and it was scary at first but after 100 miles I settled down and got acquainted with the feeling of the rig. It didn't scare me the 50th time that a big truck pushed me around.

So keep driving and get used to it.

Hope this helps.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
I am glad I came upon this thread. I have some questions about our new trailer and hitch. We have a 2014 F-150 crew cab 4wd with a 5.0, 355 rear end. We purchased a new Surveyor 243 RBS. It came with a Fastway E2 Trunnion sway control/weight distribution hitch. The dealer set up the hitch. The truck sits pretty level when the trailer is hooked up and it looks like it is set up right. I have driven large trucks all of my career ( with a CDL) but have never driven a pickup with a TT. It seems that sometimes the trailer wants to take the truck for a ride rather than the other way around. I went down to the landfill recently "without the trailer" and the woman weighed the truck for me. I drove the front wheels on to the scale and it read 3360 lbs. I drove the rest of the way on and it came to 6060 lbs. While coming back from the dealer this morning "with the trailer" we stopped by and weighed it again, this time with a passenger. The front axle weighed 3300 lbs. I pulled the rear axle of the truck on and the weight came to 6900 lbs. I pulled the whole thing on the scale and the weight came to 12,120 lbs. This is with the trailer empty of water and waste and pretty empty of everything else we take with us. As I said, the truck and trailer seem to sit level, it's just not real comfortable when towing down the highway. Any thoughts on what adjustments I could make to try and make it better? Thank you all for your time, Boomer.
I had basically the same issue, we had a Salem bumper pull and had a 1/2 ton chevy.
Everything "seemed" to be set correctly, but I was a nervous wreck on the interstates, when I was getting "sucked in" when a truck passed and had a hard time controlling it.
After one incident, no accident, but I needed a drink when we got to the campground I told the wife we were getting a 3/4 ton.
Next day I bought a 3/4 ton, actually didn't change a thing on the hitch but I never even knew the trailer was back there because there was such a difference.
IMHO, the 1/2 ton just didn't have the suspension to pull that trailer "correctly".
Doesn't really help you any, but thought I would share.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #104

I would recommend following the E2 setup process and take the front fender measurements with and without the WD bars tensioned. From the weights provided it doesn't sound like your getting much if any weight transfer to the front Axle. Does it seem like there is much tension in the bars? I have to lift the back of my half ton quite high to get the bars on.
Rdbonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #105

Husky Centerline

I drive with one hand 2012 Toyota Tacoma Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS

I am no Expert, but I would try this system.

Maybe not enough tension at the trunions?

Rhody
Rhody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #106

Not sure why that posted twice!???
Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I had basically the same issue, we had a Salem bumper pull and had a 1/2 ton chevy.
Everything "seemed" to be set correctly, but I was a nervous wreck on the interstates, when I was getting "sucked in" when a truck passed and had a hard time controlling it.
After one incident, no accident, but I needed a drink when we got to the campground I told the wife we were getting a 3/4 ton.
Next day I bought a 3/4 ton, actually didn't change a thing on the hitch but I never even knew the trailer was back there because there was such a difference.
IMHO, the 1/2 ton just didn't have the suspension to pull that trailer "correctly".
Doesn't really help you any, but thought I would share.
Odd with my Husky Centerline TS I don't get "Sucked In" at all I feel a tiny bit of pressure when a Semi goes by at 70 but no movement from the rig at all...
I am so relaxed and at ease driving I am driving one handed!

Rhody
Old 07-26-2017, 07:38 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
Something sounds funky.

Empty truck total 6060
front axle 3360
rear axle 2700? the difference of above two numbers

Truck plus Trailer 12,120
front axle 3300
rear axle 6900??? that doesn't sound right
trailer axles? 1920??? the difference of top and next two numbers. that doesn't sound right.

I think the truck weight is ok by itself but maybe use a Cat scale the can weigh the entire rig and every axle separately all at once. Maybe I am just misunderstanding something. What are the payload and axle limits from the yellow sticker on the drivers door of your truck? It sounds like you may be blowing the payload and rear axle limits but it shouldn't be with that TT.

front truck
rear truck
trailer axle(s)
The truck and trailer was 12,120. I weighed the front axle first and it came in at 3,300 lbs. The next weight came in at 6,900 lbs. That was the weight of the front and rear axles on the scale. Then I pulled the rest of the way on the scale and the truck and trailer (all 4 axles) weighed 12,120 lbs. Sorry I did not explain it better.
Boomer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #109

Quote:
The truck and trailer was 12,120. I weighed the front axle first and it came in at 3,300 lbs. The next weight came in at 6,900 lbs. That was the weight of the front and rear axles on the scale. Then I pulled the rest of the way on the scale and the truck and trailer (all 4 axles) weighed 12,120 lbs. Sorry I did not explain it better.
This makes sense. It breaks down to 3,300 front axle, rear axle minus front axles is 3,600 and the trailer weight on the trailer axles is 5,220. I would be happy with that.

If anything, the tongue weight may be just a hair high.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #110
Coachman 312BHDS

That makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #111

I wanted to add a post to this thread regarding some of the tools available to ensure proper weight distribution.

I break everything down by numbers and enjoy analyzing lots of data. As nerdy as that is, I have a spreadsheet from another forum's member that has helped me dial in my WDH. Plugging in known specs from the TV and TT, I then weigh the complete set up and enter the numbers. The results show the weight of each axle with no load, without the WDH and with the WDH activated. This is an example of my F150 and Surveyor 247BHDS.

If any of you would like this spreadsheet, please feel free to PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (5).png
Views:	364
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	148030

Old 08-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
I wanted to add a post to this thread regarding some of the tools available to ensure proper weight distribution.

I break everything down by numbers and enjoy analyzing lots of data. As nerdy as that is, I have a spreadsheet from another forum's member that has helped me dial in my WDH. Plugging in known specs from the TV and TT, I then weigh the complete set up and enter the numbers. The results show the weight of each axle with no load, without the WDH and with the WDH activated. This is an example of my F150 and Surveyor 247BHDS.

If any of you would like this spreadsheet, please feel free to PM me with your email and I can send it to you.

Attachment 148030
Wow Nice! Send that to every Cheezy RV Salesman in the country!!!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
Wow Nice! Send that to every Cheezy RV Salesman in the country!!!
The only way they would understand it is if I was to put "$" in front of every number.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #114

Quote:
The only way they would understand it is if I was to put "$" in front of every number.
Lol! True Fact!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #115

I am new to weight distribution hitches and came across this post. Currently, I just bought the e2 weight distribution hitch. 450# tongue weight rating. My camper is a single axle and should never have more than 380# tongue weight. Post here are stating to go to the scales. The directions state to measure the before and after height of the front fender. Will the measuring method work and get my system dialed in? I plan to have the camper level and the front of the tv at or within 1" raised from the original measurement. I believe this is what is allowable in videos I have watched.
youngnbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnbald View Post
...Will the measuring method work and get my system dialed in? I plan to have the camper level and the front of the tv at or within 1" raised from the original measurement. I believe this is what is allowable in videos I have watched.
The measuring method can and will work if you take the time to do it right. If I were to do it again, I would park the TV and put a piece of tape on the front fender as a precise measure point. Note all measurements. Measure the front fender mark with the trailer off, then on w/o weight distribution, then once again with weight distribution. To be perfectly dialed in, the measurements should be the same vehicle only and with the weight distribution connected.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #117

Quote:
The measuring method can and will work if you take the time to do it right. If I were to do it again, I would park the TV and put a piece of tape on the front fender as a precise measure point. Note all measurements. Measure the front fender mark with the trailer off, then on w/o weight distribution, then once again with weight distribution. To be perfectly dialed in, the measurements should be the same vehicle only and with the weight distribution connected.

This is what I read with measurements. They gave a tolerance of 1.5 inches I believe for the front fender. It can raise, but never be lower than the starting point (Negative tongue weight I guess).

I am hoping to collapse the camper tonight and give the weight distribution a try tonight. Depends on the weather. Some day I do want the weight of my camper and everything. Just need this setup for our first camping trip this weekend if all goes well. Hauled it home from the purchase, but needs to be done right!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #118

Quote:
This is what I read with measurements. They gave a tolerance of 1.5 inches I believe for the front fender. It can raise, but never be lower than the starting point (Negative tongue weight I guess)....
1.5" of variance seems like a lot. Without the trunnion bars connected, the front of my F150 only went up 7/8". That was with an 800lbs tongue weight. I would get it to return the front of the vehicle closer to the stock height.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #119

Quote:
I am new to weight distribution hitches and came across this post. Currently, I just bought the e2 weight distribution hitch. 450# tongue weight rating. My camper is a single axle and should never have more than 380# tongue weight. Post here are stating to go to the scales. The directions state to measure the before and after height of the front fender. Will the measuring method work and get my system dialed in? I plan to have the camper level and the front of the tv at or within 1" raised from the original measurement. I believe this is what is allowable in videos I have watched.

I have the weight distribution hitched installed and dialed in. My mistake in previous post. What I believed I read about the 1" tolerance was actually "trailer pitch adjustment" in the manual. 1.25" difference between the front and rear of the camper was the acceptable range according to the manual.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #120

You all realize that the OP is 4 years old ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer