Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #81

that is the way to do it, the further from the border the other house is the harder. Also depends on how busy the CHIP is or if they are pushing a program at the office he is from. Technically the car only has to spend 51% of its time in the other state. Proof is always the problem. For either.
Oregon is the best, no sales tax.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
that is the way to do it, the further from the border the other house is the harder. Also depends on how busy the CHIP is or if they are pushing a program at the office he is from. Technically the car only has to spend 51% of its time in the other state. Proof is always the problem. For either.
Oregon is the best, no sales tax.
but they have the burden of proof and i doubt they will expend the resources to see where someone spends most of their time driving
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #83

the judges will do it for them. I had a lady judge tell me "get your Oregon vehicle out of CA", that is a violation of constitutional rights! But it puts the ball in the ball in your court real quick. Sorry about the unintended pun. To make matters worse that judge's boyfriend had to vehicles parked at her house with MO plates for three years.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
A friend of mine just bought a house in Nevada down the hill from his house in Tahoe. He changed his car registration, voter registration, drivers license...everything! All his mail goes to Nevada He buys as much gas as he can in Nevada since it is over $1 cheaper! Both he and his wife are retired.

The home owner exemption for property tax saves you a whopping $70. Of course you only get that $70 if you file CA taxes....which they won't!

We have a ton of people that have houses on the CA side of Tahoe that have Nevada plates.
Yep, when I moved to NV from CA, I changed everything to NV. I cut all ties from CA. Yet DMV continued to send me renewal notices for vehicles now registered in NV..even threatening to send my expired CA registration fees to collections.
Even when you leave CA, you can't.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #85

When you leave CA, you have to do a change of address with the DMV. Did you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, when I moved to NV from CA, I changed everything to NV. I cut all ties from CA. Yet DMV continued to send me renewal notices for vehicles now registered in NV..even threatening to send my expired CA registration fees to collections.
Even when you leave CA, you can't.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #86

Babcock is right, but the DMV is probably at the very top of dysfunctional departments in this state. I could elaborate on my experiences but I just don't have that much time.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #87

Quote:
When you leave CA, you have to do a change of address with the DMV. Did you do that?
Sure did, the past due DMV notices were sent to my Reno address.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #88

CA tax collectors were at one time going after people's deferred income taxes on IRA that they made in CA after they left. There were a couple sanctuary states, then the feds put a stop to it. Just greed, the more you give them the more they need it is like a drug to them.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #89

Sorry...but that is totally not true. No tax unless there is a distribution. If you are talking about when you eventually do a distribution, that is a different story and it may be taxed in the state where you made the contribution..
Quote:
CA tax collectors were at one time going after people's deferred income taxes on IRA that they made in CA after they left. There were a couple sanctuary states, then the feds put a stop to it. Just greed, the more you give them the more they need it is like a drug to them.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #90

Quote:
Sorry...but that is totally not true. No tax unless there is a distribution. If you are talking about when you eventually do a distribution, that is a different story and it may be taxed in the state where you made the contribution..
That is what I am talking about, I forget which states would not honor CA request to collect. Then I read something about a federal law put a stop to that.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #91

It took me 3 months to renew my driver license because they kept changing what they wanted for the federal no limit license and even with and appointment which is 30-45 days out I ended up standing in line outside 45 minutes before they opened. Three certified letters addressed to the director personally and telling her to resign, finally got a phone number for a personal contact in Sac. He said we could have a couple beers discussing the mess. But I don’t drink or go to Sac. He did get it fixed, not sure what the cops would say about no license for 3 months and it is a CDL.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #92

Quote:
It took me 3 months to renew my driver license because they kept changing what they wanted for the federal no limit license and even with and appointment which is 30-45 days out I ended up standing in line outside 45 minutes before they opened. Three certified letters addressed to the director personally and telling her to resign, finally got a phone number for a personal contact in Sac. He said we could have a couple beers discussing the mess. But I don’t drink or go to Sac. He did get it fixed, not sure what the cops would say about no license for 3 months and it is a CDL.
We have a lot of friends that cashed out their home equity in CA and moved out of state...mainly to AZ. Have not heard of one issue. Yours is the first I have heard. Me thinks there is something else going on here.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #93

But I wasn’t moving out. They just kept asking for things that weren’t on the list they gave me. There is only one person working there that was there on the last trip. The guy from Sac admitted they had numerous problems.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #94

DEF

Not True! We live here in San Diego, CA. Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #95

What some fail to realize is that the National Compliance Initiative 2020 that the EPA introduced into regulation is going on a nation wide crackdown on diesel emissions deletes and alterations. CARB is fully within its rights therefore to check any diesel vehicle within the borders of CA to make sure it meets compliance and levy fines accordingly.

Since the EPA has gotten its hands on a lot of customer invoices and such of those who have purchased delete kits, tunes, etc, it is plausible that they will eventually use that information in some way. Doubtful they will kick in doors, but they could have State DMV offices refuse registration renewals for any such vehicles until proven to be in compliance.

Could be a real mess once it gets going in full force.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nati...es-and-engines
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
The smog check requires the emissions readiness codes to be set in order to pass, flashing back to stock doesn’t do that. The vehicle needs to be driven and the computer verifies all sensors and functions are good. So you cannot gut and block the emissions and just switch back to stock to pass smog. Stock tune needs everything functional to set the readiness codes.

Diesel trucks can have as many as 3 monitors not set and still pass.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
Diesel trucks can have as many as 3 monitors not set and still pass.

And with the emissions systems gutted or blocked off there will be more than 3 not set. Gandalf will be doing the smog test and you shall not pass. Not only that, you cannot have a check engine light on and active DTCs. Something that is sure to happen by destroying the exhaust components.

It’s a bad idea that will just result in unnecessary expenses and headaches.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #98
54 Years, 13 RV's

It's also not very neighborly to stink up everybody's air. Not a very good role model for a trooper to openly violate laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't think that would go over too well in most parts of the country. Taking pictures under anyone's truck to turn them in, no matter who they were, wouldn't particularly be very neighborly in my part of the country.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #99

Delete Kit - California

I would sure do the delete kit if I weren't in California. My 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Duramax uses 7 gallons of DEF every 1500 miles and dealers (and so far GMC Corporate) says that's normal as there are no guide lines. My fuel mileage is only about 8 MPG (towing an 11K # trailer) and only 13-14 MPG unloaded on flat highways and from reading all the forums, this excess DEF is damaging my exhaust gas regulator and catalytic converter. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get GMC to rectify this problem, please let me know. Thanks.
hogdooz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdooz View Post
I would sure do the delete kit if I weren't in California. My 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Duramax uses 7 gallons of DEF every 1500 miles and dealers (and so far GMC Corporate) says that's normal as there are no guide lines. My fuel mileage is only about 8 MPG (towing an 11K # trailer) and only 13-14 MPG unloaded on flat highways and from reading all the forums, this excess DEF is damaging my exhaust gas regulator and catalytic converter. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get GMC to rectify this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

DEF doesn't even touch the EGR system and is downstream of the cat, so there seems to be some misinformation or misunderstanding going on.

DEF consumption is directly related to fuel consumption. Higher fuel consumption = higher DEF consumption, so if your truck spends most of its time towing then it's going to consume more DEF compared to driving around empty.

DEF consumption should be roughly 3% of fuel consumption.

7 gallons of DEF over 1,500 miles should mean you used about 233 gallons of fuel over that same 1,500 miles. That would put your fuel economy around 6.4MPG and it sounds like you're a bit higher than that.

Were you towing or empty over those 1,500 miles?

8MPG over 1,500 miles = 187.5 gallons of diesel = roughly 5.6 gallons of DEF should've been consumed.

Anyway, I understand the concern over excessive DEF usage but don't be concerned about it causing damage to other systems as that's not a problem. The SCR (where DEF is injected) is way downstream from the EGR and cat.