Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #1

Deleted my DEF

Ok so I deleted my DEF and my diesel, I’m sad but it needed doing. I had a 2021 Ram 3500 CTD dually Laramie. I loved it I mean I really loved it. However I hated driving it just a mile to work then home for lunch back to work then home. So I bought a junker in April. I only drove my beloved Ram once since, so I decided to trade for a gasser, lower my payment by over 600. I won’t be afraid to use my new to me 2019 F 250 Fx4 like a real truck, but I did miss my Ram all 53 miles back. I’m sad but next time I make a payment it won’t be as painful either
Old 06-15-2022, 07:22 AM   #2

I'm a little confused by your title. What does deleting the DEF system have to do with getting a different truck? just wondering
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
Wait till next year...

Know what you mean. Let go of my Transit 350HD DRW diesel last year in the big van shortage. Just wasn't giving it the use it needed. Just hoping my new gasser fills the void
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I'm a little confused by your title. What does deleting the DEF system have to do with getting a different truck? just wondering
He was implying that getting rid of the truck for a gasser in essence "deleted" his need for DEF.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

One of those expert click bait title folks from the internet articles I see [emoji38]

I'll just actually delete my trucks emissions and keep my diesel if needed.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:38 AM   #6

The Shortage can’t be that bad if Amazon is selling it.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Ok so I deleted my DEF and my diesel, I’m sad but it needed doing. I had a 2021 Ram 3500 CTD dually Laramie. I loved it I mean I really loved it. However I hated driving it just a mile to work then home for lunch back to work then home. So I bought a junker in April. I only drove my beloved Ram once since, so I decided to trade for a gasser, lower my payment by over 600. I won’t be afraid to use my new to me 2019 F 250 Fx4 like a real truck, but I did miss my Ram all 53 miles back. I’m sad but next time I make a payment it won’t be as painful either
When you need a diesel you need it but at today’s fuel prices if you don’t actually NEED it it’s a very expensive toy. You did the only legal way to delete a diesel - replace it with a truck with a gas engine. Have fun with your new truck. I have no problems with my 6.2L gasser. It’s still expensive to drive compared to my DW’s compact SUV but cheaper than a diesel engine.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:59 AM   #8

Welcome to using the fuel for peasants!

I assure you not all is lost. In many ways, it's an upgrade.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #9

I had a shop remove all the DEF stuff from my 2014 Chevy 3500 Dually. No difference in performance pulling large fifth wheel. Found out after I cannot trade it in or sell to a dealer they cannot/will not take it. Only way to sell/trade is to private buyer.
Djbrindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbrindley View Post
I had a shop remove all the DEF stuff from my 2014 Chevy 3500 Dually. No difference in performance pulling large fifth wheel. Found out after I cannot trade it in or sell to a dealer they cannot/will not take it. Only way to sell/trade is to private buyer.
Do you think a trade-in dealer is going to look that close? Unless a full on delete of everything allowing the truck to “roll coal” brings the work to view.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Do you think a trade-in dealer is going to look that close? Unless a full on delete of everything allowing the truck to “roll coal” brings the work to view.
Where I live, the big 3 dealerships will not even take it in for service if the emissions have been tampered with, unless you want it restored. Things are not like they used to be. Two years ago we had a private diesel shop raided by the EPA and had some heavy fines levied on them. Anymore, no reputable shop wants anything to do with defeated emission controls. The again, if you rig is over 20 years old, nobody seems concerned with emissions.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #12

The first thing my dealer does when I go in is take a gizmo out and hook up to my on board diagnostic port.

I know from prior discussions that if the Federal emissions equipment had been tinkered with, it wouldn't even get in the door for drive train work.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #13

Yes I was trying to be funny I may not have been but was trying to make light of things. I did love my diesel and my Laramie package and I have for several years preferred the way I fit in a Ram seat better than a Ford seat. I think I will be fine with the gas 6.2. Like I think I stated. I am more likely to use the new to me Ford like a truck. I am having my new 5th wheel hitch installed Friday. Im pretty sure I don’t need the Ram Puck hitch so it’s going up for sale. Having spent more time with it today I noticed it was well maintained not sure it was ever used as a truck. I also noticed it didn’t have a trailer brake controller. I assumed being a 3/4 ton it would. That said I will drive this one town and not worry about emissions problem. I will go read up more on my truck in the forums and on line.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #14
D W

Quote:
Yes I was trying to be funny I may not have been but was trying to make light of things. I did love my diesel and my Laramie package and I have for several years preferred the way I fit in a Ram seat better than a Ford seat. I think I will be fine with the gas 6.2. Like I think I stated. I am more likely to use the new to me Ford like a truck. I am having my new 5th wheel hitch installed Friday. Im pretty sure I don’t need the Ram Puck hitch so it’s going up for sale. Having spent more time with it today I noticed it was well maintained not sure it was ever used as a truck. I also noticed it didn’t have a trailer brake controller. I assumed being a 3/4 ton it would. That said I will drive this one town and not worry about emissions problem. I will go read up more on my truck in the forums and on line.
I got it. I knew exactly where you were coming from when I read your post. Sometimes the cost of a rig outweighs the actual realized utility of the rig itself. Been in that situation before. Good luck with your new rig!
Old 06-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #15

If I even think about going back to a gasser after having my diesel, someone please whack me upside the head. I live in beautiful Colorado, where pulling a large fifth wheel over any high mountain pass with a gas motor is almost a painful experience. Then you get to go down without the exhaust brake. Nope, no thank you.
Time4Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Wasp View Post
If I even think about going back to a gasser after having my diesel, someone please whack me upside the head. I live in beautiful Colorado, where pulling a large fifth wheel over any high mountain pass with a gas motor is almost a painful experience. Then you get to go down without the exhaust brake. Nope, no thank you.

The diesel does make it painless and I loved my exhaust brake but I have towed close to 10k trailer in gas 1/2 thru the Rockies and they did good going up and great coming down. Those guys that do the guanlet comparing trucks have gotten a few gasser’s that brake almost as well as a diesel. Plus my time climbing and descending might be 1% to 2% of my miles in a great year. In a normal year .5% if lucky more like .00002% I will miss my truck but at this juncture it didn’t make sense. On a side note I was just in Colorado Springs and the diesel I was in ( school activity bus) hated the climbing.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #17

Quote:
The diesel does make it painless and I loved my exhaust brake but I have towed close to 10k trailer in gas 1/2 thru the Rockies and they did good going up and great coming down. Those guys that do the guanlet comparing trucks have gotten a few gasser’s that brake almost as well as a diesel. Plus my time climbing and descending might be 1% to 2% of my miles in a great year. In a normal year .5% if lucky more like .00002% I will miss my truck but at this juncture it didn’t make sense. On a side note I was just in Colorado Springs and the diesel I was in ( school activity bus) hated the climbing.
I‘ve also pulled the passes with gas TVs. Probably why I kick myself for waiting so long to purchase my Ram 3500 Diesel. Just can’t look back w/o remembering the bad ol’ 30 mph/6 mpg episodes on I-70, Hwy 50, Hwy 550, etc.
Time4Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #18

Yes I will miss my diesel and for those times I am lucky enough to hit the mountains or the unfortunately all to often times it seems like I am hitting a head wind coming and going. I will also miss the truck lanes for ease of fueling. I have gotten into argument about how well my Tundra handled the mountains. I know others have had different experience. I wanted to see how the 6.2 did on the Ike gauntlet while I was searching for it. I watched a few random episodes first thing that surprised me was a 2017 6.2 outperformed a 2020 6.6. I watch the 6.6 video first and even though I will probably never climb the Ike or any hill like it. I was a little concerned but they had the truck way heavier than I would tow though my 5th wheel will have a bigger frontal area as they were hauling a horse trailer. The performance appeared to surprise the host and not in a good way. Then I watched them load a 2017 to the max. The benchmark is 8 minutes for the 8 mile run at 60 mpg the 6.2 did it in I believe 8:53 and I believe down hill it had 10 or 11 brake applications over 8 miles compared to the average diesel of 2 or 3. However they are very strict about hitting the brakes at 60 every time. I also watched one of their mpg videos they compared 6.7 mpg vs a gas half ton 150 towing 9k in same trailer the 1/2 ton was 8.8 the 6.7 was 9.3. . Based on my past experiences I will be ok I will still miss my Ram but when I don’t take the 5th wheel out between Mid August to November but I can put an extra $600 a month in savings I won’t mind much.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #19

Ok time to revive the thread, actually I just got a chance to tow my trailer today. Got me to thinking about this thread. Results were pleasant. To be honest my first tow was just about a week ago. I picked my trailer up from the dealership they had it since April. It was very windy 20 plus mile wind gust up to 30mph 6.3 mpg for the 45 mile trip.
Pros
I use it as a truck been to the dump a few times and to my friends property that the last 26 miles is dirt then his place has some tight spots where mesquite like to touch your truck.
2) The back seat area is bigger than the Rams according to wife daughter
3) being a short bed non dually easier to fit in places
4) daily use work and back same mpg as diesel but gas is cheaper I save$$$. On the highway mpg is less but only by 1 mpg again I save money. I got 8.3 mpg towing today ( conditions were perfect no wind 55 degrees. Today I still saved money mpg and difference in fuel prices.

Cons
1) smaller tank less mpg I stop more
2) Both gas stations were doable but my 36’ trl made it interesting
3) need to replace tool box blocks view of hitch( I need to use camera but not used to doing it. Also tight unlevel turns could lead to bad things.
4) miss the sound system
5) ford leaf springs rougher than rams

Think I will be fine not expecting to get 8 on most trips I suspect low 7 but I got 9-10 with the Ram
Old 11-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #20

Well drove home yesterday 340 miles as perfect weather defined my travel there. The opposite was true on way home. Had 10-15 mph winds and light rain to heavy rain to white out back to slush. Also went from 850ft to just 3400 back down to 2800 nothing big but all together I went from 8.3 to 6.7 mpg. It’s not as hard to swallow since I know the diesel probably would have maxed out between 8.5 and 9.5 ( only pulled this trl 3 times with my Ram HO and never got above 9.5 but not sure if I ever towed in perfect conditions) anyway when I got gas in town gas was average of $1.30 cheaper. On the interstate where we buy most our fuel because I’m not a huge fan of driving my 36’ ( was 42’) 5th wheel thru town trying to safe a few dollars at the most. The difference was over $2 on average but while gas was 15 to 30 cents higher the diesel was way higher and DEF probably a gallon worth was up to $4. Planning trip Grand Canyon in December. Thinking about keeping a log book of both fuel prices where I fuel up. Using the actual mileage of the gas and an assumed mileage on the diesel. I just curious times and prices are crazy, I know in my case going from a new Laramie optioned truck to a used STX gas the savings on monthly payment is skewed. So I might just find window stickers on same trim level trucks and see what the difference is and try to estimate if difference can ever be made up or at current