Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #21

If idling kills diesels, why does every Semi in America leave theirs running half the night, every day, and usually when parked anywhere else, as well?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #22

I purchase my last vehicle at the age of 70, got myself a 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD, Crew Cab, 8 ft. bed, 4 x 4, Duramax diesel, Allison six speed transmission. I use it for a DD and to tow our 5th wheel travel trailer. It has been on trips from Southwest Louisiana to the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone, North Padre Island National Seashore, Great Smoky Mountain NP and points east. It now has 39,719 miles on the clock, I do all of the routine maintenance myself and keep it parked under cover. I figure when I am gone, one of the grandsons can have it.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #23

Daily driver here and no issues other than a sensor replaced under warranty. Got a great deal 3 years ago and do my own maintenance so that saves some good money. I buy Rotella T6 in the pail when it goes on sale and they also offer mail in rebates. Makes oil changes pretty cheap. Fuel filters cost a bit of money but are easy to change.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 PM   #24
Always Learning

Bought our 2012 Ram 3500 and it was a daily driver until we went fulltime in 2015. At that point, it became our sole vehicle. Traded it in 2018 with 100k miles and never had an issue.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #25

I have 56,000 miles on my truck. Maybe 6,000 miles were towing the trailer. I drive 6 miles to work. The DEF heater went bad but that is the only thing that has failed. I get 15 mpg, mostly city driving. 11.5-12 mpg towing trailer. 23-24 mpg with no load and cruise set to 62 mph. Oil changes are expensive ($125 for oil and filter) but not doing them is even pricier ($15k + for new Duramax). My wife liked the diesel so much that she got a diesel Terrain. Until somebody comes up with an electric truck that can perform close to what I have I am sticking with diesel.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
65,000 miles, bought new April, 2016. Drive it like I do any other truck, with the exception of letting the glowplug light go out before starting.

Not any issues at all.
Ditto. 135k plus and was my wife's every day driver for the first ten years
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #27

Quote:
If idling kills diesels, why does every Semi in America leave theirs running half the night, every day, and usually when parked anywhere else, as well?
They idle when stopped to keep warm unless they have auxiliary power units.

Fleet drivers are often monitored closely through their trip recording device and many companies require drivers to shut down when engine is not absolutely necessary. Fuel is no longer $0.40 per gallon like it was in the 60's.

I know that when I'm traveling during "normal" weather and stop at a rest area for a snooze more trucks that are spending the night shut down now than those who leave engines running. If they have refrigeration units on the trailer those are all I hear.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #28

Ram 2014 EcoDiesel daily driver, 7 miles to work and home plus drive it around this classic small town Iowa, no issues. Winter cover on the front when temps stay below freezing, keep her plugged in overnight when below, yup, freezing. She's got 85,000 miles and keeps plugging along. She does tow a 26' TT early spring to late fall so she does get a hard work out, just in the winter putts around town. One rule I have, don't drop it into drive until oil temp hits 70 and don't turn her off until its up to 120 or better.
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #29

Diesel as a DD

Sure! No issue! My 2011 Ram 3500 has 175000 KM ( 110,000 miles) on it. It was my daily driver until I retired 2 1/2 years ago. It doesn’t get driven as much these days, but I try to get it out at least once a week for a good run. When working, it was a 50KM commute each way. Of course, the truck has no issue pulling either fifth wheel!!
My Buddies 2012 Ram had 375000 KM (233,000 miles) on it when he traded for a 2019 Ram. Also a DD but his daily commute is only 15-20 KM
Initial cost and maintenance is more expensive than for a gasser. Diesel fuel is also currently more expensive than gas. As well, newer diesels require DEF fluid, which is an added cost. And don’t ever run out of DEF! My 2011 does not require DEF!
If you need a diesel to tow, I wouldn’t hesitate to have it used as a daily driver as well.
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #30

I have been working on diesels since 1977, and been getting in the diesel pickup, starting it (and mine never had glow plugs) and drive it to go where ever I wanted when ever I wanted since 1998. they warm up faster if you drive them so I never set more than 30 seconds after start up. I might use block heater if its getting into the lower 20's at night, but that is for the convenience of faster heat up.
and my wife has driven diesel cars for maybe 10 of the last 30 years, all daily drivers.

and hell these new diesels run so hot that the engine gets fully heated every time you run it a couple miles. There is no reason a diesel can't be a daily driver (but I am sure the internet is full of "experts" that will tell you other wise).
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #31

2018 Daily driver

We use our Ram 3500 DRW daily
2018 Ram 3500 I-6 DRW Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10 Ram Mopar direct mount 30k hitch 2018 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 34' 8298ws Pub kitchen
Days camped 2018 120 days 2019 164 days
WeLoveCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:58 PM   #32

what I see when I blow up the picture is a pipe sticking out of a large hole in under-body for mice to get in. what I do to fix this is clean up underbelly with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, apply black gorilla tape (do your best to press the tape to make it stick), then I caulk over the edges with Black Silicone (only place I will use silicone on RV). the silicone helps seal the edges from coming UN-stuck in future. If the opening is real bad I might stick it shut (zip ties) than seal it up.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #33

I have had diesel trucks since the first Cummings in the dodge came out. Drove every day for 250,000 miles never a problem. Since then I have had dodge and fords. Both as daily drivers no problems. Diesels are made to drive and when needed to haul loads. Buy it and drive daily.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #34

We daily drive ours.. every thing from short trips to the grocery store 4 miles away to runs to the office when I need it. Also tow our 13K 5vr. Since I typically drive my Altima to work simply cause it more efficient, my wife takes our daughters to the bus stop 300 yards away and idles the truck for 10-20 minutes every morning before driving back to the house and shutting t off. My Son welds on Pipelines, his weld rig is a 2017 f-350 and he has ridiculous idle times on it. Most newer diesels have the emissions sorted out, they regen when they need to.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #35

Our Diesel is our only vehicle. Can't think of a reason to have another. We only had one child too. Couldn't think of a reason to have another.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Yeah, but it's habit, and it only takes about 3 seconds.
My first DD diesel. I followed the glow plug start on all previous work trucks but the new one is push button start. I see the glow plug light but the truck just cranks right through it. I am trying to figure out if this is bad still and I should turn on and then start but I see no way around it with the remote start....
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
My first DD diesel. I followed the glow plug start on all previous work trucks but the new one is push button start. I see the glow plug light but the truck just cranks right through it. I am trying to figure out if this is bad still and I should turn on and then start but I see no way around it with the remote start....
My truck has remote start and keyless entry. When it’s cold, there is a delay in starting. I haven’t entirely figured out what it considers cold yet. I bet there’s this weird manual for owners that might tell me, but no way I’m actually reading that!
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My truck has remote start and keyless entry. When it’s cold, there is a delay in starting. I haven’t entirely figured out what it considers cold yet. I bet there’s this weird manual for owners that might tell me, but no way I’m actually reading that!
Thanks I will poke around to see if I can find it.

The manual was locked in managers office last week when I picked up the new truck along with the second key and door lock code...its an hour away so they are mailing it with the Title info so no manual for me yet.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:51 AM   #39
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Thanks I will poke around to see if I can find it.

The manual was locked in managers office last week when I picked up the new truck along with the second key and door lock code...its an hour away so they are mailing it with the Title info so no manual for me yet.
There is/was an app for your phone, if you’re a smart phone user.

And you should be able to find it in PDF form online.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There is/was an app for your phone, if you’re a smart phone user.

And you should be able to find it in PDF form online.
Thanks. You would think I know better by now to look there first. The Ford pass app does have a pdf buried in the about vehicle page for the manual.

Good news is it figures it out and will show a message on the dash of engine start pending if waiting on the glow plugs. With a keyed ignition it specifically says to wait for the glow plug light to go out. Learned a few more things about cold temp operation as well. Just in time to be my daily driver...luckily my garage is heated so much of it only applies when at work.

Tags
diesel