Old 12-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #101

DD DAILY DRIVER 3500 DULlY DODGE 2000

we have a 2000 dodge ram 3500 diesel dully
i don't drive it every day
it's very stable in the snow
with any diesel you should warm it up mine all ways warms up pretty good ..
got it just for the camper
i use to be all out chevy truck but No more i don't trust chevy's electronics they are junk there transmissions have all ways been a problem
they have never built a good diesel
i would look at FORD F350 or a dodge ram 3500
depending on what your towing id go dully
the early ford's 6.0 are ausom motors BUT you need to get one that has been BULLET Proofed
the early Ford 6.7 were better
you have to watch out the radiators were junk im told and lots of people do the delete on them ..
i realy like to older 7.3 ford they were built FORD TUFF and they were probably the best ford ever had ....
i dont buy in to the warm ing up theory iv been a auto motive machinist most of my life when it hit's 190 on the thermostat it's at operating temp and will run the pants of of any thing around with no problem ...
Diesel is the way to go
we have a 2608ws Ultra lite an my 2000 dodge 5.9 cummins pulls it real nice
BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
I asked that very question of my brother, who's been a full-time diesel mechanic for about 20 years now. His answer: "Don't do it if you don't have to. Everything about that truck will cost you more than a car." For me personally, it's all about the economics. My 1-ton Ram sits in my garage unless I need a truck. Pulling my trailer, going to Home Depot for lumber, making a trip to the landfill and etc. Otherwise it sits. I bought a "daily driver" Subaru that is far, far less expense to own, operate and repair. A 1-ton diesel is brutal on all of those fronts. Not to mention the increased resale value of a low-mileage truck.
Question for you? How much do you thing it cost to operate a diesel pick-up truck as a daily driver?

I know what my cost are per mile for my 2008, Dodge/Ram6.7L Cummins truck and my wife's 2011, VW 2.0LTDI. My truck's cost is $0.12/mile, the VW is $0.10/mile. This is every maintenance item that goes into the vehicles such as windshield wipers, brakes, tires, oil& filter changes, oil sampling for the Cummins, transmission oil changes both filters and fuel filters plus other small items. My spread sheet covers 12 years of operation of the pick-up truck and the VW's spread sheet covers 8 years of ownership.

To me $0.12 a mile is not that expensive to operate a vehicle as a daily driver. The gas trucks are not far off in this cost either. My old 2001, Chevy 6.0L was between $0.10 and $0.11 a mile, if my memory serves me correctly!

People say diesel are more expensive to operate, but they really have no proof just what they have heard!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Question for you? How much do you thing it cost to operate a diesel pick-up truck as a daily driver?

I know what my cost are per mile for my 2008, Dodge/Ram6.7L Cummins truck and my wife's 2011, VW 2.0LTDI. My truck's cost is $0.12/mile, the VW is $0.10/mile. This is every maintenance item that goes into the vehicles such as windshield wipers, brakes, tires, oil& filter changes, oil sampling for the Cummins, transmission oil changes both filters and fuel filters plus other small items. My spread sheet covers 12 years of operation of the pick-up truck and the VW's spread sheet covers 8 years of ownership.

To me $0.12 a mile is not that expensive to operate a vehicle as a daily driver. The gas trucks are not far off in this cost either. My old 2001, Chevy 6.0L was between $0.10 and $0.11 a mile, if my memory serves me correctly!

People say diesel are more expensive to operate, but they really have no proof just what they have heard!
X2. I have three pickups. 2 gas, 1 diesel. They age from 1979 to 2007. My gas trucks have been much more expensive per year avg than my diesel
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N View Post
I asked that very question of my brother, who's been a full-time diesel mechanic for about 20 years now. His answer: "Don't do it if you don't have to. Everything about that truck will cost you more than a car." For me personally, it's all about the economics. My 1-ton Ram sits in my garage unless I need a truck. Pulling my trailer, going to Home Depot for lumber, making a trip to the landfill and etc. Otherwise it sits. I bought a "daily driver" Subaru that is far, far less expense to own, operate and repair. A 1-ton diesel is brutal on all of those fronts. Not to mention the increased resale value of a low-mileage truck.
I concur, mine sits in the garage unless I need a truck. My Ram is overkill for errands, shopping and commuting. I use a Subaru Outback as a DD.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2. I have three pickups. 2 gas, 1 diesel. They age from 1979 to 2007. My gas trucks have been much more expensive per year avg than my diesel
X3. If we didnít already have a Tiguan, we would not purchase a second vehicle just to reduce how much we drive the truck.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #106

Yes so far after having a 2016 Gas version and a 2018 Diesel version of the identical truck. I can ,say After all over a year I'm pretty much identical in terms of cost to operate.
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 CTD
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #107

I have a 2003 ram 2500 with the Cummins and I love it.
12349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #108

I drive a diesel as a daily driver, but what I'd never do is drive a 2500 or 3500 pickup as a daily driver, gas or diesel. I thought my 2500 Ram was OK, then I started driving a 2500 Suburban and realized what I was missing for ride quality. Now I'm in a 2012 Touareg diesel and it's silly how much better it is than the Suburban which was head and shoulders better than the HD pickup.
I do the worst possible thing every morning and then again after my 8-12 hours working, start the diesel and drive it about 5 miles then shut it off. Normal operating temp is 200 and it doesn't get above 180 even in 50 degrees. When it's 10-20 outside it doesn't even hit 160. I make a few trips a week longer distances to get it fully warmed up. It has a 4 year warranty on all the emissions exhaust, fuel, long block, etc so we'll see how it holds up. After that I'll delete the DPF and egr and then it shouldn't be an issue.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I drive a diesel as a daily driver, but what I'd never do is drive a 2500 or 3500 pickup as a daily driver, gas or diesel. I thought my 2500 Ram was OK, then I started driving a 2500 Suburban and realized what I was missing for ride quality. Now I'm in a 2012 Touareg diesel and it's silly how much better it is than the Suburban which was head and shoulders better than the HD pickup.
I do the worst possible thing every morning and then again after my 8-12 hours working, start the diesel and drive it about 5 miles then shut it off. Normal operating temp is 200 and it doesn't get above 180 even in 50 degrees. When it's 10-20 outside it doesn't even hit 160. I make a few trips a week longer distances to get it fully warmed up. It has a 4 year warranty on all the emissions exhaust, fuel, long block, etc so we'll see how it holds up. After that I'll delete the DPF and egr and then it shouldn't be an issue.
Put a winter front on your truck. With the winter front on my truck the operating temps stay around 200F where it should be. The winter front is installed around Dec 1 and removed approximately April 1.

I have used one for 12 years opening and closing the vent flaps as needed. When ambient temps drop below 0, I close off two of the flaps if the temps drop below -15 (daytime) three flaps are closed. I have never needed to close off all four flaps. My truck warms up nicely and keeps us nice an warm, in-fact on long trips our winter coats are off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter front_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	220322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter front.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	220323  
Old 12-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #110

My Touraeg actually has factory grill shutters that close off the grill to speed up warmup and also close down at highway speeds to help aerodynamics. It will hold 200 degrees no problem, I just don't drive it far enough on my 5 mile commute to reach 200 degrees.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #111

I have a 2016 F350 6.7 diesel. It is my daily driver. I also deliver travel trailers, and we have our own 5th wheel in which we take a cross country trip every year (Alaska from Indiana in May!) so it gets out on the road plenty. I have put 255000 miles on it. I love the truck. I think the issue with NOT towing - just running short errands - would be getting the exhaust filter cleaned. Research that. My owner's manual calls for me to get above 30 mph for 30 minutes when the light comes on.

Other issues I would consider are: oil changes cost $100 or more for 13 quarts; fuel filters have to be changed every other oil change, adding another $100 to the the cost. It's just more expensive to own.
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel