Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Its just that nature of the beast . I never run in high gear when towing due to EGT's . I know a lot of diesel dudes and everyone of them from stock to pumped up do the same thing as far as RPM vs EGT's goes . That turbo puts a lot of cool air in when its boosting as well as leans it out a little .
Thank you, I'm not too concerned about the EGT just want to get the best possible economy. I have the other issues of smoke and sometimes a throttle position error that puts me into limp on hills. One intercooler boot has lost its metal expansion limiter that makes me think it might be leaking as well. Sometimes I think I hear it but my hearing in those high whistle sounds is about gone, it may be singing like crazy. The truck makes 32 pounds of boost no problem so it can't be that bad, but I do get some hazing you can see in the mirror when I run that kind of throttle. We already replaced the TPS part (called a bell crank on my Cummins) and it still sometimes does it. My overhead MPG guage is also way off. I know most are but mine is way, way off. I had it claiming 31 mph over a 100 mile run only to find out it was 2/3 that. So it is getting more fuel than the computer knows it is. This truck is unknown to me so it may have a tune or aftermarket injectors. My next step besides replacing the boot will be to buy a known tune, the Smarty Jr, and see what that does.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Thank you, I'm not too concerned about the EGT just want to get the best possible economy. I have the other issues of smoke and sometimes a throttle position error that puts me into limp on hills. One intercooler boot has lost its metal expansion limiter that makes me think it might be leaking as well. Sometimes I think I hear it but my hearing in those high whistle sounds is about gone, it may be singing like crazy. The truck makes 32 pounds of boost no problem so it can't be that bad, but I do get some hazing you can see in the mirror when I run that kind of throttle. We already replaced the TPS part (called a bell crank on my Cummins) and it still sometimes does it. My overhead MPG guage is also way off. I know most are but mine is way, way off. I had it claiming 31 mph over a 100 mile run only to find out it was 2/3 that. So it is getting more fuel than the computer knows it is. This truck is unknown to me so it may have a tune or aftermarket injectors. My next step besides replacing the boot will be to buy a known tune, the Smarty Jr, and see what that does.
Best possible economy is much more than just a few tenths of a mile more MPG. By taking care of your engine, keeping the EGT, Trans Temp and Engine Temp low you extend the life of your engine and reduce the frequency of repairs on engine and transmission.

You can also slow down a bit. At 65 (max speed on my Maxxis 8008s) I get 8.9 MPG. If I slow just to 62, my MPG increases to 9.8. Almost 1 MPG for only a 3 MPH reduction, adn my transmission never get out of 5th gear.

My transmission stays cool, engine and EGTs too.

A WIN, WIN, WIN situation!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #123

I know this thread is a little old but I will add my .02

Last week I traded a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4 hemi with 4.10 for a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins with 3.42. I bought the 6.4 truck new had 18k miles on it traded to the other truck that has 44k miles on it. It was a good deal for me otherwise I wouldn't have done it. The price was right.

The reason I traded.

I bought the 6.4 because I didnt want a diesel. TBH I still dont want a diesel. They are expensive, finicky, stinky, cold, rough, noisy, I hate the way they sound, and gas trucks are more fun to drive with out a trailer. Ive been in the auto service industry for over 25 years as a tech, service manager, and inspector, so I have seen them all. I know them all too well.

But

3 weeks ago I took a trip to glacier national park from Minnesota. Pulled a 37ft 12.5k 5th wheel over 2500 miles out and back. For the most part the gas motor did well. Flat lands it pulls like a champ has plenty of power. The hills of Minnesota it motors right up them in 3rd or 4th gear. However getting out into the land of hills and mountains it began to struggle. The 1/2 mile hills of Montana it made it up them often shifting to 2nd unable to use the cruise because it down shifted to far and had to much speed to make up. It made for a long day of towing. But what made it worse was the wind. Hills and Wind the truck really struggled. The day we left west glacier KOA I woke up to howling wind guests and thought to myself there is no point in trying to go home, because the fuel costs and the strain on the truck isnt worth it we will have to wait until a nicer day to travel. It turned out the wind was from the north and we had to go south east so it worked well until half way through Montana and the wind changed. To make a long story short. I told my wife on the way home as much as I hate diesels if we are going to continue making long trips to the mountains or other parts of the country with hills, we need to trade.

The gas engine will do it with hills or wind. But with both it is very difficult. I dont want to have that anxiety again worried about the wind because I really cant tow in it. We can control our route of travel to limit hills and bad roads, but you cannot control the weather.

If you have the means, buy a diesel. Camping is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. You shouldn't have extra stress due to your tow vehicle if you dont have to.
Skidooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post

Last week I traded a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4 hemi with 4.10 for a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins with 3.42. I bought the 6.4 truck new had 18k miles on it traded to the other truck that has 44k miles on it. It was a good deal for me otherwise I wouldn't have done it. The price was right.

The reason I traded.

I bought the 6.4 because I didnt want a diesel. TBH I still dont want a diesel. They are expensive, finicky, stinky, cold, rough, noisy, I hate the way they sound, and gas trucks are more fun to drive with out a trailer. Ive been in the auto service industry for over 25 years as a tech, service manager, and inspector, so I have seen them all. I know them all too well.

But

3 weeks ago I took a trip to glacier national park from Minnesota. Pulled a 37ft 12.5k 5th wheel over 2500 miles out and back. For the most part the gas motor did well. Flat lands it pulls like a champ has plenty of power. The hills of Minnesota it motors right up them in 3rd or 4th gear. However getting out into the land of hills and mountains it began to struggle. The 1/2 mile hills of Montana it made it up them often shifting to 2nd unable to use the cruise because it down shifted to far and had to much speed to make up. It made for a long day of towing. But what made it worse was the wind. Hills and Wind the truck really struggled. The day we left west glacier KOA I woke up to howling wind guests and thought to myself there is no point in trying to go home, because the fuel costs and the strain on the truck isnt worth it we will have to wait until a nicer day to travel. It turned out the wind was from the north and we had to go south east so it worked well until half way through Montana and the wind changed. To make a long story short. I told my wife on the way home as much as I hate diesels if we are going to continue making long trips to the mountains or other parts of the country with hills, we need to trade.

The gas engine will do it with hills or wind. But with both it is very difficult. I dont want to have that anxiety again worried about the wind because I really cant tow in it. We can control our route of travel to limit hills and bad roads, but you cannot control the weather.

If you have the means, buy a diesel. Camping is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. You shouldn't have extra stress due to your tow vehicle if you dont have to.
My exact reasons why I bought a new Ford . 2017 F250 KR CCSB 6.7L Diesel Honestly this thing is super quiet I am not burning out brakes anymore with the Pac Valve.

Paying for it was painful and after two months I am able to sit up now and take nourishment.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooman View Post

The reason I traded.

But

After we sold the Class A we bought a grocery getter F150. A few months later knew we had to get on the road again and bought a 30' TT. Too small and bought a new 5er which meant a bigger truck. Sadly, bought a new F250 6.7 ~~ sadly as that only lasted about 16 months until an F350 was needed for the new 43' 5er my wife said we had to have was found. Should have never bought the 250 and went straight to the 350.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #126

Part of the loss of power in the mountains is the elevation. It not necessarily the diesel that helps there but the turbo part. A turbo gas motor will make up for the loss of atmosphere just as well as a turbo diesel in that situation. The upside to the loss of atmosphere at high elevation is less drag on the camper. Same thing with hot air vs cold air. Hot air is easier to pull a big trailer through but causes the motor to lose some available power. Usually you don't need all the power so it's no big deal. The best MPG you will ever see will be on a high desert plateau when it's nice and hot out.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #127

I've always wanted a diesel and finally bought one last winter. It had no problem going up steep hills in 5th gear at 108km/h in 30C weather. The exhaust brake on declines is great, too, instead of riding the brakes occasionally. They are not stinky if you have emissions unless it's regenerating and they definitely cost more to maintain, but you get that back in longevity or when you get rid of it. It helps a lot if you can do most of the routine maintenance yourself. A gasser can definitely do the same job for the most part, but you might just have to take your time.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #128

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
I've always wanted a diesel and finally bought one last winter. It had no problem going up steep hills in 5th gear at 108km/h in 30C weather. The exhaust brake on declines is great, too, instead of riding the brakes occasionally. They are not stinky if you have emissions unless it's regenerating and they definitely cost more to maintain, but you get that back in longevity or when you get rid of it. It helps a lot if you can do most of the routine maintenance yourself. A gasser can definitely do the same job for the most part, but you might just have to take your time.
I agree, I was on a trip to the west this summer and went through the mountains of BC pulling my 33' 5er. My truck is an F250 with a 6.7L diesel. No problems with the hills and the engine brakes are great for down hills and going through towns with lights. Fuel economy was great as well but I had wished I changed my air filter before I left because when I came back I did an oil change and the guy showed me the filter, it was pretty dirty so I had it changed. On my next trip to Niagara Falls, I was getting 15.5L-16L/100KLMS compared to 20L-21L/100KLMS when I went out west. I will be checking out the air filter more often.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #129

Switched to Diesel - No regrets... Yet.

I had been on the fence about upgrading to a diesel since we upgraded to a 31' Salem Cruise Lite 272RBXL back in March. My previous F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost was a towing champ, it pulled our previous 25 foot Keystone trailer and still managed 10.5-12 mpg doing it. The new 272RBXL didn't fare so well. Weighing in at a calculated 7300lbs loaded (including water), the trailer I believe was just too much for the truck. The Ecoboost still pulled it well, but mileage was terrible, averaging between 8.4-10. In my opinion, cargo capacity was the achilles heel which I calculated to be within 200lbs of the trucks limit. Spongy suspension, pourposing, and significant sway in cross winds coupled with poor mileage is what pushed me to making the switch. (Thanks to those who participated in my thread a couple months ago discussing the pros/cons on purchasing)

I made the switch to Diesel, but it wasn't a smooth transition. I'm a bit long winded so please stop reading if you are in a hurry.

I spent close to 2 months searching used inventory across Upstate New York, looking for a 2015 or newer Super Duty PSD. Each time I found a truck I liked, it was already sold or the dealer didn't answer their e-mail. I wound up (briefly) purchasing a loaded 2015 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab PSD 37k with 8' box and 5th wheel setup. During the test drive the truck drove great, although I spotted numerous issues which the dealer agreed to fix. After a 2 week wait everything was done and the truck was ready. Went in, signed the paperwork, took delivery, just two days before we were to leave on our main 10 day vacation for the summer!! I wasn't even off the lot when problems began...

As I started the truck to leave I was greeted with a "TBC Module Fault" warning message. With only one tech left in the service bay he came out and tested the trailer module and determined it was working and the error message could be cause by something electrical elsewhere on the truck. As he was testing the trailer module, a "Service AdvanceTrac" warning appeared. He was unable to diagnose that issue, but the dealer agreed in writing to address these issues upon our return from vacation. I was also given a 2 year PremiumCare warranty for the trouble.

By this point, with promises in hand, we left the dealership and went out for dinner. When we left the restaurant I noticed the air bag warning light remained. This was a significant concern but one I was willing to save until we returned from vacation. Then as we were making the 90 minute drive home from the restaurant the Check Engine light came on. The dash looked like a Christmas tree with all of the warning lights on. That was the final straw. A call to the dealer the next morning got me a priority appointment in their service department. It took about 90 minutes for them to figure out what was wrong; water had leaked into the one of the fuse boxes and rotted out several fuse contacts. It wasn't a simple, nor quick fix. It was also the end of that truck for me. I asked that the dealer take it back, and they agreed without argument.

I have to say, the dealership went out of their way to do their best to make me happy since I had made the 90 minute trip to them several times during the process. (They also wanted to sell me a truck too) The GM got involved and presented me with a couple brand-new 2017 PSD's they had on the lot which I could essentially purchase at dealer invoice. There I was on the day before leaving for a 10 day camping vacation, faced with the decision; return the truck and keep looking when we get back, or take a new non-diesel Lariat SuperCrew with 6.2 or an XLT Supercab the Powerstroke and pay a little extra. I looked at both trucks but didn't drive either because by this point it was almost 4pm and I hadn't even packed!

My decision? I went with the F-250 XLT Supercab with Powerstroke. In terms of creature features it was a considerable downgrade from both my old F-150 and the F-350 Lariat I had owned for the one short day. It did not have leather, a center console, sunroof, or sliding rear window, but it was new and diesel. It was also the fastest vehicle purchase of my life, taking just 90 minutes from reaching a deal, to completing the paperwork, to having the truck unwrapped, cleaned, and ready to go. I drove it home that day, and took it on vacation the next.

I was concerned about towing during the break-in period. The dealer just told me to vary my speed while towing, avoid passing on hills, and a few other suggestions. I was assured it wouldn't affect the warranty down the road. I managed to put 200 miles on it before hitching to my trailer. Now that vacation is over, the verdict is in....

After putting 1600 miles on in less than 2 weeks I'm pleased. The fuel mileage was great. Non-towing I easily saw 17.5-18.8 for around town driving, and 20.2 was the best on the longer day trips we made. Towing was even better, at least compared to the Ecoboost. The trailer was almost invisible to the truck and sway was non-existent, despite not taking nor having the time to re-set my WDH. The trailer sat perfectly level, without the trailer taking a nosedive in the front as I was accustomed to on the F-150. Our first leg towing was climbing up into the Adirondacks. Starting out at just over 200 miles on the truck, the trip odo reported exactly 11.5mpg. The second leg towing from the Adirondacks to the White Mountains in NH, the truck recorded 13.1mpg while the return trip towing from NH to Syracuse NY recorded 12.1mpg.

I always ran Premium in my F-150 Ecoboost, even when not towing as it picked up a small but noticeable gain in power. The Powerstroke bested my old EB by about 3mpg towing, while non-towing mileage was about .5mpg less (diesel is considerably cheaper than premium gas however). For that reason alone I am pleased with my decision to go diesel, even if it cost me time, stress, and a little extra cash.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Regen on a diesel shouldn't be a factor unless you are driving around town and egts are low. If you are pulling a load (or even just driving at highway speed) egts will be high enough for passive regen which doesn't burn any more fuel. I know this to be true for a Cummins at least. My Ford experience was before emissions on diesels was a thing.

My truck has never done an active regen. I live 30 miles from town and egts get high enough during my commuting that active regen hasn't been necessary. I know this because I watch my temps and my exhaust pressure.

As far as them being stinky, my 2017 doesn't stink at all. I'd put it up against a gasser in an emissions test. At least for another 95,000 miles, anyway. (At which point emissions stuff goes byebye)

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel