Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #21
New RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340xlr View Post
Any newer diesels have DEF, diesel exhaust fluid. It does have a shelf life. I would not recommend letting it set for months at a time.
Also, what size fiver is he looking at?
Honestly I don't know, he is getting it from his son, I have never seen it because he is out of state....
Robspana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You are opening a giant can of worms. Biggest debate on the forum. Stand by for many strong opinions. You'd have been better off just doing a search on "diesel vs gas" and reading the hundreds of threads that have already been written.

I am going to try to stay out of the debate!
Another buttered popcorn thread...,.

I cannot wait......
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Another buttered popcorn thread...,.

I cannot wait......
No, it's not a popcorn thread. It was a thread title mistake... corrected several posts ago.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robspana View Post
Question for my father in law.
He is looking at buying a pick up to tow a fifth wheel. He doesn't plan on using the truck all that much, really only to tow.
Someone told him not to get a diesel then, because it's not good to let them sit without driving them.
Is there any truth to that?
Simple answer is yes there is truth to that, the long answer is it depends on how long he plans to let it sit between runs and a billion other factors

Diesels are built to be run and even a fleck of rust on the wrong part can lead to thousands of dollars in repair bills. I'd never dream of letting one of my diesels sit much longer than a week with at least a good hour of running to bring everything up to temp. A gas engine will never perform as well a diesel when pulling a heavy load but if he can accept that he will save about $10,000 on the purchase price and probably at least that much again on repairs and maint. Not a bad deal if it's only going to be used occasionally.

Modern on highway diesels are a world of difference from an old farm tractor or bulldozer. The HPCR injection systems are delicate beasts ( unlike the older mechanical or HUEI systems) the DEF fluid can evaporate leaving urea crystals to clog everything up. just to name a few. The whole heavy equipment thin is just not a fair comparison
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #25

If it's a newer truck with DEF I would be hesitant to let it sit, older pre emmisions diesel I wouldn't worry so much.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #26
New RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
Simple answer is yes there is truth to that, the long answer is it depends on how long he plans to let it sit between runs and a billion other factors

Diesels are built to be run and even a fleck of rust on the wrong part can lead to thousands of dollars in repair bills. I'd never dream of letting one of my diesels sit much longer than a week with at least a good hour of running to bring everything up to temp. A gas engine will never perform as well a diesel when pulling a heavy load but if he can accept that he will save about $10,000 on the purchase price and probably at least that much again on repairs and maint. Not a bad deal if it's only going to be used occasionally.

Modern on highway diesels are a world of difference from an old farm tractor or bulldozer. The HPCR injection systems are delicate beasts ( unlike the older mechanical or HUEI systems) the DEF fluid can evaporate leaving urea crystals to clog everything up. just to name a few. The whole heavy equipment thin is just not a fair comparison
Thanks...
Robspana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel