Old 01-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I am a retired engineer that spent most of my life designing structures for heavy equipment IE Cat machines. So, I know how the payload/weight games are played by the manufacture to put vehicles into certain selling markets. [...]
I'm also an engineer, though I don't practice. I don't like to use components in a design that have their specs exceeded. I apply the same philosophy to my truck selection.

Either way, you didn't disagree with me. As I said, the payload rating is an objective truth. It's printed in black and white (or black on yellow ). You can argue that it doesn't matter, but it's hard to argue that a 3/4 ton doesn't have a limitation in its rated payload.

Oh, and I don't necessarily think you're wrong. Similar situation is true with Fords. A properly equipped F-250 is a single leaf (4 vs 5) different than an F-350. I seriously doubt that that single leaf has much if anything to do with the 1,500 lb GVWR difference. I just can't be bothered to go through the mental gymnastics required to justify why being overweight on a 3/4 ton isn't really overweight. For $40, I just grabbed the properly rated part for the job.

Cheers.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #22

I just traded in a 2015 2500 with a diesel in for a 2020 2500 with a 6.6 gas engine yesterday. After looking over the numbers, test driving it, I'm pretty comfortable it's going to do just fine with my 11k toy hauler. I think the HP and Torque these new engines are producing is incredible compared to what we all towed with a few years ago. Payload also! I mean 14.5k with W/D, 18.5k with a gooseneck or 5th wheel, 3338 lbs of payload with 401 HP and 464 Torque on a gas engine 3/4 ton?

Who would have thought it! Todays Trucks (among all the major manufactures) are making leaps and bounds types of improvements and increases in their capabilities. I'm happy to be of the age to take advantage of them!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #23

Iím towing with a 2015 RAM 2500 6.4l gas 3:73 diff
Smaller trailer at 25í and around 7,000 lbs.
I always use tow/haul mode when pulling so it never grabs top gear (which is 6th on mine). I average about 9-9.5 mpg towing on 34Ē tires. At 70 mph on the flats the engine is turning at around 2750 rpm. If I back it down to 65 it finds the Ďsweet spotí at around 2300 rpm. If I can stand crawling along at 60 mph the tach settles down to just above 2000 rpm.
The latest RAMs have an 8 speed auto-trans so Iím guessing you would probably get better results when towing?
I would like to hear from anyone who has a late model RAM gas engine and the 8 speed auto trans. What kind of results are you getting (rpm/fuel economy/etc)?
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #24

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD and absolutely love the power of the diesel when towing. I used the truck for 4 1/2 years as a daily driver. However, as the price spread between diesel and regular gas has increased, I bought a Chrysler Town & Country minivan for every day errands and am now saving the Ram for the towing jobs. Here in Lexington, KY, the price spread between gas and diesel fluctuates between .80 and .20 and the per gallon price for gas is only rarely slightly more than the cost of the diesel. My oil changes in the minivan cost about 1/3 of the diesel and I'm not having to buy $200 fuel filters at given service intervals. If I had to replace the truck, I'd probably buy another diesel but only because I love having the diesel torque when towing. As for cost of operation, it appears that a gas engine makes more sense.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #25

2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn trim, 6.4 Hemi with 3:73 gearing crew cab pulling a 2017 Rockwood 8289WS fifth wheel that is 32' long and 13' tall. Max on the rig is around 10,420IBS. We have only pulled five times with the longest being around 200 miles. So far, we are very satisfied with how this gas truck pulls and rides with our fifth wheel. Pulled the same camper with a 2009 Ford F350 with the 6.4 diesel up until July of last year when we sold that and bought our Ram. I take to many short trips when not towing that were not doing our diesel any good especially during the winter.
When towing I use tow/haul and set the cruise. If we get into some of the hilly areas around here I just use the foot versus the cruise. Our first long trip with this new to us truck will be taking place in a couple weeks when we leave for Florida so guess I'll have a better feel for things when that takes place. Up to this point with our towing experience in the Ram I am confident we will not be disappointed. I belong to a Ram Truck forum and read all the time about the issue from 1st to 2nd gear. We have not noticed that in ours at all. All our shifting seems to be smooth and happens when it needs to.
Good Luck from a happy guy that went from diesel to gas.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #26

Iíve had my 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi and 4:10 gears since new. I only have 28,000 miles on it now, but most of those miles have come towing my triple axle 7500 lb boat/trailer or my 26í Vengeance Toy Hauler that tips the scales at 10,000 lbs loaded. I live in WA and there are mountains to cross pretty much any direction we go. While it is true the 6 sp auto trans in the Ram isnít the best it could be to work with the gas engine, it has always been more than adequate to tow my trailers up any grade Iíve ever encountered to date. Yes, on the slightest grade the tranny will drop a gear, and on steeper grades it will drop a couple. The 6.4 makes lots of power once you get up to 4,000 + rpm, but Iíve pulled some long grades at 5,000+ rpm on hot days and never seen engine or trans temps move more than a few degrees. Once in the power range, there arenít many grades the Hemi canít accelerate up while pulling the toy hauler. Been a great truck and donít let the rpms scare you, just turn off the ď instant mpgĒ display... you wonít like what itís telling you when sheís spun up!

Having said all that, I am in the process of trading for a 19 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, but mainly just because Iíve never had a diesel and I like the new interior., certainly not because the Hemi canít handle the load, or because the extra 5 mpg makes the $9000 diesel option make sense!
Ezgoin721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #27

If you are planning to tow 10,000 pounds or more, do yourself a favor and buy a diesel.
Diesels cost more because they are worth more. They hold their value much better. They perform better under load. I bought a Ford in 2002 with the 7.3. It cost $35k and today is worth over half what I paid for it.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
If you are planning to tow 10,000 pounds or more, do yourself a favor and buy a diesel.
Diesels cost more because they are worth more. They hold their value much better. They perform better under load. I bought a Ford in 2002 with the 7.3. It cost $35k and today is worth over half what I paid for it.
Well if you'd bought a 2004 6.0 PS it definitely wouldn't be worth 1/2 of what you paid for it.
Diesels don't hold their value that much better than gas. The return more because they cost more.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #29

4000 miles later

Seems this topic died out but thought I would post here with our switch from diesel to gas. Just returned from Key West for a total of around 4000 miles pulling the fifth wheel. Made the exact same trip last year with a 2009 Ford F350 crew cab with the 6.4 deleted diesel. This years trip was with a 2016 Ram 2500 crew cab Bighorn trim with the 6.4 gas Hemi, 3.73 gearing. Long story short, the gas truck did amazing. The wife does a great job of logging our fuel stops and always has the prior years info with her in her note book. She informed me that many of the places we stopped for gasoline this year were the exact same places we had stopped last year to get diesel. She also made a point to mention that she figured we saved anywhere from 8 to 10 dollars buying gas versus diesel per fill up.
I drove 68mph with the cruise on and in tow haul mode. Just got home last night so have not calculated the miles per gallon yet. Going to guess by watching the lie o meter around 8.5 to 9.5mpg.
The coil springs on this Ram are very impressive compared to our old F350 with the leaf springs.
Did hit the Cat Scales when we left home:
Truck with no trailer 7900 gross, steer axle 4300 and drive axle 3600.
Truck with trailer 17,760 gross, steer axle 4140, drive axle 5340 and trailer axle 8280.
This current truck did down shift more versus the diesel but it did hold speed very well. Had some serious wind on the trip home the last four days that kept us around 2500rpm. With no wind or travelling with the wind the truck purred along at 2000rpm.
Our fifth wheel is only 32 feet long but it is 13 feet tall so the wind is not my friend.
For those that are trying to make the big decision on whether to get gas or diesel and pulling something similar to our rig all I can say is we are some very happy campers making the change from diesel to gas.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas