Old 01-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #41

Take it out

I use my truck when not towing so I take it out. I use a block and tackle safely mounted across roof rafters to easily lift it out.
kgkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #42

Our first year with a 5er so far leaving it in.
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #43

Hitch cover

I bought a large plastic storage tub at Walmart, cut a slice for the handle, flip it and use tarp straps attached to the rails, done.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #44

I have a B&W Companion which I leave installed for the winter months. I have a tonneau cover which is used every day except when I'm towing. An added advantage is also the extra weight for winter driving. I did a trip without it in and it was definitely a little rougher of a ride too. If you have need to use your truck bed then maybe remove it and store it under cover for the winter.
herkyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #45

I live in Seattle .. lots of rain wet crappy weather.

B&W companion.

the 2 silver cylinders that you see on the top plate, appear to have some rust underneath inside I also think I need to figure out how to grease them up a little as the jaws area little slow to open by hand.

a few places where I have banged the hitch and pealed off the paint have surface rust.

I love the hitch still and not knocking it. If I don't have to pull it out to use the bed I leave it in, and when I get around to it in the winter I pull it but over time it will need some maintenance.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Just curious as this is my first 5vr and I bought it New in June. Our last trip end of september and I left my hitch in (b/w companion) because I knew I was going to be cutting down 4-5 large trees arouond the camper and I wanted to pull it back out to do that. Well I didnt do that until a few days ago. Just curious who is in a partially snowy icky climate and do you leave it or remove it. I'm inclined to remove it and put it in my building so it doesnt see 3-4 months of rain, ice, freezing, thawing, etc on the mechanisms. But who knows, maybe Im just being a bit overly draconian on it. The weight would be good for snowy roads, but then again, whats 120 pounds +/- gonna do to help a 1 ton diesel, not much. Thoughts?
I leave my B&W in the bed unless I need to haul something. I do have a bed cover so it is out of the weather.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #47

Truck is used as a truck

I have a Demco slider in a short bed and I remove it after every trip. Went down to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap engine hoist, extended the boom, added some weights to the base and use that to hoist that big momma out of the bed. I have an under bed mount and that leaves the bed clean to use the truck for hauling yard waste or anything else I may use it for. Itís easy for me to remove the hitch by myself and I am over 70 with three back surgeries. Of course I live where we rarely get snow and the climate is pleasant most of the year. I also like the idea of storing $1500 worth of hitch out of the weather.
Joemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #48

We leave our sliding 5’er hitch in year round, the weight dampens the stiff dually ride when not towing. We cover our hitch and release handle with one of those small RV air conditioner covers, and pull the drawstring to snug it up. No problems ever with it blowing off. Paint and decals after three years look great, plus keeps dust off the pivot grease points, and locking mechanism. (Of course we are on our second cover as they last two years before vinyl dries out cracks and exposes the cloth fabric underneath.)
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #49

We are fortunate not to have a off season and a tonneau cover ... would not want it exposed given the amount of rain and thunder storms in the summer months . Have not had a need to remove it yet in our first year of camping...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Just curious as this is my first 5vr and I bought it New in June. Our last trip end of september and I left my hitch in (b/w companion) because I knew I was going to be cutting down 4-5 large trees arouond the camper and I wanted to pull it back out to do that. Well I didnt do that until a few days ago. Just curious who is in a partially snowy icky climate and do you leave it or remove it. I'm inclined to remove it and put it in my building so it doesnt see 3-4 months of rain, ice, freezing, thawing, etc on the mechanisms. But who knows, maybe Im just being a bit overly draconian on it. The weight would be good for snowy roads, but then again, whats 120 pounds +/- gonna do to help a 1 ton diesel, not much. Thoughts?
I left it in. I didnít need sandbags for snow traction when I did so. Empty pickups suck in snow.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #51

to remove or leave it be. 2 years ago I pulled mine out, not bad and I need the exercise. Funny how 24 months changes your viewpoint. Now mine comes out if one of my grandsons happen to come by. 75 years of wisdom.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #52

I suspect it depends on everyones individual needs. I purchased my B&W Companion based on its two parts about 70lbs. Each being a managable weight.
Yes I remove when I expect ANY extended time till next trip. I can use my truck bed for other purposes this way.
At 66 and physically able I do it by hand so I may not be as wise as some. Refering to engine cranes, hoist and other mechanical means. Good idea when wanting to save physical wear and tear.

I felt the leave attached to trailer and drive away a good Idea but personally never tried it.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
to remove or leave it be. 2 years ago I pulled mine out, not bad and I need the exercise. Funny how 24 months changes your viewpoint. Now mine comes out if one of my grandsons happen to come by. 75 years of wisdom.
Know about that 75 years of wisdom. 👍

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:04 PM   #54

I leave it in year round. I don't want to get caught without any help if I need to install it back into the truck. I am too old to lift it by myself.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #55

leave it in to take it out

Being that i bought mine used PulRite
and i knew nothing about 5th wheel hitches
and being a automotive machinest most of my life..

it is mechanical..

it will collect dirt, debris, and most importantly RUST..

i take mine out even when i am not camping and,
i made a dust bag to cover the hitch when i unhook
just so sand and debris and Rust docent make it malfunction ...
it would really REALLY!!! Suck to drop your LOAD on the ground..
BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:33 PM   #56

leave it in take it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLori View Post
I leave it in year round. I don't want to get caught without any help if I need to install it back into the truck. I am too old to lift it by myself.
go to tractor supply back by the tires they sell rope falls
50.00 big ones

my back is spent im a antique my self

i put a 1" bolt & steel strap in my garage an hoist it out..

get a moving dolly from harbooo oo caaa ca get a 3x3 pice of plywood screw it.

drill 2 - 1/2" holes tye a rope in it and drag it around with your lawn tractor
ok

come on were old not dead yet buddy
Old 01-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #57

Until I read this post I had no idea there were covers actually made for 5th hitches. I have a BW companion so I emailed the company and found they do make a specific cover. (I didn't want a generic from Amazon.) So I have now ordered one. Even though those hitches come off in 2 parts, 1 hernia is enough and I didn't want to do anything to the pin by leaving it hanging on. But thanks again for the post!
davidgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgle View Post
Until I read this post I had no idea there were covers actually made for 5th hitches. I have a BW companion so I emailed the company and found they do make a specific cover. (I didn't want a generic from Amazon.) So I have now ordered one. Even though those hitches come off in 2 parts, 1 hernia is enough and I didn't want to do anything to the pin by leaving it hanging on. But thanks again for the post!
YUUUUUUUUP
IV Had 3 Hernias it no fun
and i still try to bullllllll things around
i dont like leaving it in in the winter manly my truck is a 2000
it was use to me but iv been slowly restoring my truck
2 rear cab doors&new paint, new trans, U Joints, air dog fuel system, new seat cover YAAAAAAAAAAA, new starter, NEW HOOD,REAR BRAKES,4WD shift cable,turn-sig,wiper motor,red head steering gear box, new rear slid window i broke,new GPS ...

probably could of bought a newer one
just to go camping...
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #59

My Andersen comes out when we are home and hangs on the wall. The truck hauls water tank and other items regularly and leaving the hitch in is not an option.
Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #60
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I have the Anderson hitch and also have a tonneau cover on the bed of the truck. I leave mine in unless I need to haul something. Only weights 35 # and comes out quick. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 46
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel