Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Do you increase your tire pressure when towing?

Wondering if any of you increase your tire pressure when towing.

I have a 2010 Escalade ESV that we are using to tow our 7400lb travel trailer from Georgia to South Dakota and back. I'm noticing that the tires are wearing on the edges more than normal and they've lost some of the sharpness to the edge of the tire.

I've seen a few posts where they say you should increase to max tire pressure rating but that seems high given outside temperatures. What do you all think? That would mean going from 35psi to 44psi. Most of the posts that I saw were referring to large trucks of 3/4 ton or more.

Tires are Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza Plus in P285-45-R22
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Do you increase your tire pressure when towing?

I go to 42-44 with my crappy P rated tires. Makes a big diff!
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #3

If towing increase your pressure to sidewall specifications printed on the tire. Make sure you do so before moving your vehicle preferably in the morning. Cold tires.
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
If towing increase your pressure to sidewall specifications printed on the tire. Make sure you do so before moving your vehicle preferably in the morning. Cold tires.
X2, max pressure, cold fill. Especially on P rated tires.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:54 PM   #5

Didn't know that! Noted!
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I'll do that.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Of course, safe travels!!!
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #8

I get caught up reading the back on forth on this topic and get too scared. My door sticker and onboard TPMS say my tires should be at 35 PSI. My sidewall says 51 Max PSI. That is a big difference!!!!! I go with the sticker. That's just me though....
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #9

Are your tires OEM..
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

And does the 35psi state for towing on your door jamb
Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #11

My F250 6.7 states 65psi on the door post. I just put new Michelins on and Costco put the rear psi at 80, I did not like the ride, lowered the psi to 65, rode and handled well, towed my Windjammer about 500 miles round trip no problems tires and side walls looked fine.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
And does the 35psi state for towing on your door jamb
Wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. Not sure if my tires are OEM. They are Wrangler and came with the truck when I bought her new. I do not see any towing info on the sticker.
wardster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #13

I'm the OP.

Tires are the same as OEM and it doesn't say anything about towing on the sticker. Just the recommended tire pressure which is 35.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardster View Post
Wasn't sure if you were speaking to me. Not sure if my tires are OEM. They are Wrangler and came with the truck when I bought her new. I do not see any towing info on the sticker.

Yes wardster it was to you, and normal driving situations usually are what the door sticker recommends but when towing heavy the tire is probably what I would trust. If it's to bouncy or rough you can remove a few pounds evenly across the rear if towing but be mindful the extra weight usually will smooth the ride out. When not towing I would go back down to the 30-35 psi recommended on the door.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #15

I had the same question. I found this info:

Proper inflation is the single most important factor in tire care. The tire sidewall displays MAXIMUM pressure - based on MAXIMUM load capacity of the tire. The inflation pressure displayed on the door jamb is the RECOMMENDED pressure - based on normal load of a passenger car and MAXIMUM load capacity of a pick-up truck. While a single pressure setting may be okay for a passenger car, pick-up trucks by nature (especially 3/4- and 1-ton) vary greatly in weight. The recommended pressure setting for a loaded truck will result in a grossly overinflated tire when the truck is not loaded. Always check inflation when tires are COLD, that is when the vehicle ahs been driven less than a mile, or at least one hour or more after driving. Use a good quality tire pressure gauge. Note: It is natural for radial tires to have a slight bulge in the sidewall at their proper inflation pressure. Check inflation at least once a month and before any long trip or before traveling with a heavy load. Always remember to check the spare tire.

Follow this and you'll have the correct psi for YOUR vehicle.
Make sure you do the front and back... because they will be different.

Park on level ground.
Aim straight ahead.
Draw a line completely across the tread with a piece of chalk.

Pull ahead 2-3 tire revolutions or until the chalk starts wearing off.

If the chalk is worn off equally across the width of the tread, the inflation pressure is correct.

If the chalk is worn off more in the center than at the edges, the tire is overinflated.

If the chalk is worn off more at the edges than in the center, the tire is underinflated.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Also, I learned that for P rated tires. Unless they are "Extra Load" tires, they probably reach their max load at 35 PSI. Please let me know if you find load tables for standard load P rated tires that provide values for above 35 PSI.

The pressure/load tables are standardized and produced by one of 3 groups - one each in the US, Europe, and Japan. While there are some differences between the standards, they are minor. The biggest difference is at the low end of the load/inflation ranges. The US group is the Tire and Rim Assn.

I've found the following site to be very informative related to tire issues.
Site home page: Barry's Tire Tech
and for this question: Barry's Tire Tech
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I had the same question. I found this info:

Proper inflation is the single most important factor in tire care. The tire sidewall displays MAXIMUM pressure - based on MAXIMUM load capacity of the tire. The inflation pressure displayed on the door jamb is the RECOMMENDED pressure - based on normal load of a passenger car and MAXIMUM load capacity of a pick-up truck. While a single pressure setting may be okay for a passenger car, pick-up trucks by nature (especially 3/4- and 1-ton) vary greatly in weight. The recommended pressure setting for a loaded truck will result in a grossly overinflated tire when the truck is not loaded. Always check inflation when tires are COLD, that is when the vehicle ahs been driven less than a mile, or at least one hour or more after driving. Use a good quality tire pressure gauge. Note: It is natural for radial tires to have a slight bulge in the sidewall at their proper inflation pressure. Check inflation at least once a month and before any long trip or before traveling with a heavy load. Always remember to check the spare tire.

Follow this and you'll have the correct psi for YOUR vehicle.
Make sure you do the front and back... because they will be different.

Park on level ground.
Aim straight ahead.
Draw a line completely across the tread with a piece of chalk.

Pull ahead 2-3 tire revolutions or until the chalk starts wearing off.

If the chalk is worn off equally across the width of the tread, the inflation pressure is correct.

If the chalk is worn off more in the center than at the edges, the tire is overinflated.

If the chalk is worn off more at the edges than in the center, the tire is underinflated.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Also, I learned that for P rated tires. Unless they are "Extra Load" tires, they probably reach their max load at 35 PSI. Please let me know if you find load tables for standard load P rated tires that provide values for above 35 PSI.

The pressure/load tables are standardized and produced by one of 3 groups - one each in the US, Europe, and Japan. While there are some differences between the standards, they are minor. The biggest difference is at the low end of the load/inflation ranges. The US group is the Tire and Rim Assn.

I've found the following site to be very informative related to tire issues.
Site home page: Barry's Tire Tech
and for this question: Barry's Tire Tech
So.. inflate to max tire capacity when towing and the number in the jamb when not.. correct?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #17

Yes....good rule of thumb to follow with P rated tires !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #18

If you have stock size/weight rated tires go with door sticker and don't overload the vehicle. If you have non-standard tires go with the tire manufacturer recommended inflation for the load.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #19

I go with the side max psi when towing.
44 psi is the max ( when cold )marked on the side and the f150 tows my rockwood 2703 like a dream.
pibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #20

With your 7400lb unit, go max sidewall pressure. Don't think you want a 22 to get hot and let go!!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, towing