Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #1

Do you use a hitch clamp

I have a EAZ recurve6 WDH pulling a Rockwood Roo 233s. Ther is some definite play when I put the hitch in the receiver. It hangs a little low. I was thinking of using a hitch clamp to tighten it all. Is this a good idea or does it create stress on the hitch receiver when towing?
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #2
Member: Old Man Club

Do yoiu have a GM tow vehicle ,like a Chevy or GMC. If it is a 2500HD or better, you may have an oversized hitch receiver. If so, go to your favorite RV supplier and purchase an insert. My friend has a Chevy 2500HD and his hitch is like that. The insert costs under $20 usually. A cheap fix, but necessary to stop the slop!

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #3

How about a pic of your hitch set up? A little noise here and there is one thing but there shouldn't be slop. Too light in the tongue? Wrong hitch/receiver as stated above?

Most new(er) HD trucks have the class V 2.5" receiver. My new Ram does. I was redoing my wdh set up and ordered a 2.5" shank through Bulletproof, part of the reason being so I would no longer need said adapter.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #4

There's been a few posts floating around about people using them. I've debated getting one for our Ram as there's a bit of play in the receiver since new. Usually not noticeable but it sometimes is. I'm sure you're smarter than running a 2" shank in a 2.5" receiver.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #5

I use one of these, but not for our camper.
I use the Curt clamp on my wife's Atlas when she pulls our boat. The tongue weight on our boat trailer is pretty light, which causes the trailer to teeter totter a bit over bumps. The clamp helps quiet the ride substantially inside the vehicle.

I'm not sure if the clamps are made to support the weight of most travel trailer's tongue weights though. I guess it couldn't hurt to try...
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
I have a EAZ recurve6 WDH pulling a Rockwood Roo 233s. Ther is some definite play when I put the hitch in the receiver. It hangs a little low. I was thinking of using a hitch clamp to tighten it all. Is this a good idea or does it create stress on the hitch receiver when towing?
I use one - definitely works when nothing is attached or just the bike rack. Once the TT is attached, the TW of the TT prevents any movement but then again your receiver/hitch might have more space/play so it might still worth the < $10 clamp out there.
21wolfpupfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

chev includes the adapter in truck purchase ,my l2018 2500 silverado did. made them give me a locking pin and key set. and turnover ball and rings in a compact carry box.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #8

Had to get one of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
Do yoiu have a GM tow vehicle ,like a Chevy or GMC. If it is a 2500HD or better, you may have an oversized hitch receiver. If so, go to your favorite RV supplier and purchase an insert. My friend has a Chevy 2500HD and his hitch is like that. The insert costs under $20 usually. A cheap fix, but necessary to stop the slop!
Had to get one of these. Home Depot was the least expensive.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #9

I have used one when I tow my boat, but with the WDH attached I don't need it or want it. When I arrive at my destination I don't want to have to unscrew the hitch clamp to take off my shank from the pickup. When I do use it I put on stainless wing nuts instead of the stock nuts for easier unscrewing.

It is certainly personal preference, and those that are saying that maybe you are putting a 2 inch shank into a 2 1/2 inch receiver should know better then to even suggest that. Perhaps they do not know what you are talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch clamp.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	257702  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #10

Those of us that may have put a thought to someone using the wrong tool for the job(2" into a 2.5") have probably seen a few things in their time.

That said......the hitch clamp is only going to work when unhitched. Once you get any sort of tongue weight that device won't overcome the force needed to combat the weight against it. Either something is maladjusted or you need to remove the hitch when bobtailing. My $.02 and worth just that.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:52 PM   #11

I am not putting a two inch into a two and a half inch. The weight of the hitch is making it sag a bit. I will send a picture when I set it up in a couple of days to show you what I am seeing.
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #12

hitch clamp

I use one and I don't care what the hitch weight is most receivers have movement over bumps, noise sometimes notable, sometimes not. The clamp when properly installed has no bearing weight. They're cheep but very effective. Any rattle? go fore it.
Days Camped 2016 91, 2017 110
Days camped 2018 136
nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

Absolutely! Best thing since sliced bread:

Boat trailer used to clatter constantly... now it's quiet as a mouse.
On the Toad, it certainly helps reduce the slop.

Sunseeker project pics: https://pbase.com/brucemac/2015octsunseeker
Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

I bought one as I was afraid my flagpole mount that goes into receiver would rattle around. My concerns were unfounded. Still haven't used it. My e2 hitch fits my receiver like a glove.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #15

Haven't used it yet on the trailer hitch mount. Purchased two and use one on the Swagman bike rack rv approved and bumper mount receiver. Note that I had added safety struts for the bumper and removed the spare tire mount. Works great for that, gets rid of all play horizontal and vertical. Your post will likely have me trying the other on the wdh because I've noticed slight wear from minimal horizontal movement on it. Yes, they work well for the intended purpose.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch