Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #1

Does trailer shape affect towing?

Hey guys, we currently have a Rockwood 233s hybrid that has a fairly blunt front end...in everyone's experience did the towing change at all when they went from maybe and older square shaped trailer to something more aerodynamic?

Thanks!
dodr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Of course. But unless it's aerodynamic, like an Airstream, you'll still have quite a bit of air resistance. Even a rounded nose does very little to improve anything.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #3

The shape of the trailer affects it 4 ways.

1. Space inside the trailer is less efficient with a more rounded shape. Even less with a boat.
2. The rounded shape will have less air resistance.
3. Cross-winds seem to have less impact on the more rounded shapes.
4. Probably the biggest difference - a more aerodynamic shape requires less tongue weight to prevent sway.

Compare a square-shaped travel trailer to a monohull boat on a trailer without a lot of superstructure. The boat can get away with as little as 5% tongue weight instead of 15% without causing sway. You seldom need or want a weight distributing hitch or anti-sway device with a boat. An Airstream is perhaps midway between the boat and a square TT.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: Black Hills - next week
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

WE tow our 15RB hybrid behind a full size Ram 2500 high roof van. Our trailer has almost the same frontal profile as the van does. This makes a huge difference.
We used to tow the same trailer with or F150 4x4 pickup which just hated going into the wind. Felt like pulling a huge sail.
The slope front on the van and the matching shape towed much better into the wind and we get 15.5mpg towing compared to 10.5 with the pickup.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

When it comes to aerodynamics, the Sears-Haack body is considered as aerodynamic as it gets.

If your trailer looks like this:

then it should tow like a dream. Even Airstreams have a lot of drag, just less than most trailers that are big boxes with slightly rounded noses. Perhaps a Vibe is the most aerodynamic travel trailer on the market today.

FWIW, note from the Sears-Haack body picture, it's not just the nose that matters but the shape of the tail too. A rounded nose will let the air flow around it more easily but if the tail is squared off it just creates a big vacuum that cancels any gain.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #6
FLY4FUN

...kinda related perspective: Our Casita was hands-down the easiest towing of several travel trailers we've owned over the years -- "slick" & rounded fiberglass, reasonably aerodynamic and light. That said, and as indicated above, the practical & useable space tends to shrink a bit as us campers began to age a bit . We loved and used the "Cassie" for a number of years, but sure do enjoy a much larger camper these days due to having a "big" walk-around bed, a real (non "wet") shower, a slide and lots of really useable space, equipment & storage. "Squarish", lower MPG and 6,000+ lbs. vs. the -3,000 and easy tow of the Casita is well worth it in our old(er) age.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I thought my V-Lite would do better in helping on wind residence. Nope did not happen. When I towed it with my dulley I saw no great improvement in mileage then I bought a 4 door crew cab 3/4 ton truck. Mileage improved some but not that much. I now tow a 5th wheel more aerodynamic and mpg improved a bit more. 5er weight a bit more thean the V-Lite did. So go figure. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #8

When testing trailer towing numbers for the SAE spec, they use an aerodynamically good trailer! So I have seen statements from manufacturers reference the area of the nose.

IT all matters. In a TV torque is what matters!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
When testing trailer towing numbers for the SAE spec, they use an aerodynamically good trailer! So I have seen statements from manufacturers reference the area of the nose.

IT all matters. In a TV torque is what matters!
What they use for testing.

“With the exception of trailers defined by rows A and L above, trailers should all be cargo (‘box’) type with flat, vertical front wall and corner radii no more than 152.4 mm (6 in).“
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer