Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #21

Misread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe;
A boat trailer is a whole lot different that a huge box on one and a half wheels. Not mentioned, is that with a blowout on a two wheel TT, you have lost the brakes on one side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not necessarily. I've had two "blowouts" on one of my tandem axle trailers over the years and neither time did the blowout damage any of the brake wires.

It could happen but it's not an absolute. All depends on how wires are routed, how fast one is traveling, and how long before they realize the tire has failed.
Mike. you misread PenJoe's post. He said "a two-WHEEL trailer", not a "two-AXLE trailer." If you blow the only tire on one side, there is no braking on that side.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Mike. you misread PenJoe's post. He said "a two-WHEEL trailer", not a "two-AXLE trailer." If you blow the only tire on one side, there is no braking on that side.
You're right. I did misread.

Getting old.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:05 PM   #23

I did have a tire blow on my old double axle trailer. Never even noticed it till I slowed down for a turn. Our new trailer bought last summer is a single axle. What I did is buy a Tire Pressure Monitor System. I needed one that would monitor my 80psi tires. It gives a constant pressure and temp reading for each tire. One bonus is it lets me know at the start of a trip if either tire needs a top up.
hugh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I've towed 3 or 4 different double axle trailers over the last 30 years, always in the range of 20' to about 24'. I've notices now that manufacturers are making single axles in that same size and weight range as the double axles I'm used to.

I read opinions that double axle is better for towing than single axle, but I can't find any facts to back that up. And I can't find experiences that confirm or deny the "Double axles are better towing than single axles." opinions.

Does anyone have either some experience or facts to back up opinions that I've read?
Lets put it this way, would you want a flat or blow out with a single axel or dual? With a dual and a TPMS you will know of the leak or blow out and can pull over. On a single axel unit you will ruin something more than likely!!
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #25

I'm just playing the advocate here. I've towed single and tandem axles trailers probably over 100k by now. Many of the singles were bigger box trailers with equipment for my business. Tons of miles, and some flats on both types. The loss of control and loss of braking are not really real to me. Assuming either were being operated safely when the event occurs the braking and control are just fine. Correct direction if needed, brake, steer off the roadway.

Two things that were real for me. It is possible to fail to notice a failing tire on a tandem axle trailer and prolong the operation while damage occurs. Bad roads increase this likely hood.

It is also.more.possible to do the 5mph "roll of shame" to get out of harm's way with a tandem axle. With that said, I pulled a single axle cargo trailer with a flat to the end of a 5 mile construction zone I was blocking at 5mph. I had already had one flat that day and I.was already on the spare.

Twice I have had a flat on a tandem axle only to find the other tire on that side is also damaged or also flat. It makes sense.that if one tire hits.debris the other one might hit it too.

Finally, I prefer higher rates axles. I've had two TTs with lame barely adequate tandem axles. I do think on occasion those, say tandem 3500# axles on a 8500# TT get overloaded because there are cases where one axle just takes more load. Given the choice I'd take a properly engineered single axle of 10000#s.in its place. It's never apples to apples, but its just a thought.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Lets put it this way, would you want a flat or blow out with a single axel or dual? With a dual and a TPMS you will know of the leak or blow out and can pull over. On a single axel unit you will ruin something more than likely!!

An after thought.... It is also a LOT EASIER to change a flat with a dual axel.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I've towed 3 or 4 different double axle trailers over the last 30 years, always in the range of 20' to about 24'. I've notices now that manufacturers are making single axles in that same size and weight range as the double axles I'm used to.

I read opinions that double axle is better for towing than single axle, but I can't find any facts to back that up. And I can't find experiences that confirm or deny the "Double axles are better towing than single axles." opinions.

Does anyone have either some experience or facts to back up opinions that I've read?

Hey,

A well set/balanced s/A trailer will pull great. As a few others have said there is a safety factor. Having 4 tires instead of 2. I have 5 different trailers, only 1 is a camper though. The dual axles seem a little smoother pulling and the spread axle campers will have less sway. Although I find spread axles tend to have a little more porpoising than reg set axles. A well Set up WDH will be your friend for sure.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
The experiences of all the above posters who had blowouts on a single axle seem to have debunked this. My single axle is not bouncy, zero sway no matter how big or how fast anything that passes me may be, and is half the maintenance cost of a dual axle. Only 2 tires to replace when time comes, and I enjoyed only servicing two set of bearings recently (hand packed and inspected). Oh, and only 2 tires to chock, and easier to level. Other than high tongue weight, all good.

Oh, and only 2 tire covers to purchase (if you cover during storage, between trips) and only 2 TPMS sensors. Those suckers are expensive! Glad I didn't have to buy the 4 pack model.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #29

It is easier to overload a single axle trailer. I like having extra weight rating on my tires, especially on a single axle.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The experiences of all the above posters who had blowouts on a single axle seem to have debunked this. My single axle is not bouncy, zero sway no matter how big or how fast anything that passes me may be, and is half the maintenance cost of a dual axle. Only 2 tires to replace when time comes, and I enjoyed only servicing two set of bearings recently (hand packed and inspected). Oh, and only 2 tires to chock, and easier to level. Other than high tongue weight, all good.

Oh, and only 2 tire covers to purchase (if you cover during storage, between trips) and only 2 TPMS sensors. Those suckers are expensive! Glad I didn't have to buy the 4 pack model.

To reach his own I guess. I've pulled single and dual axel trailers. I've had flats/blowouts on both. I'll take the dual over the single any time. I have ruined wheels on a single, but not a dual. On a dual you can slow down till you find a safe place to pull over, and then back up on a block with the good tire to change the bad one damaging the trailer with a blown tire can happen in either case. Over loading is just as easy on either case. TPMS usually come with 4 sensors, at least three one I use does. You're covers are cheap. Only two tires to chock in either case. If you use 4 chocks, one in front of the front tire and one in back of the rear tire on each side. With trailer level, I only chock one side. I don't worry about the cost of tires. Truck, car or whatever takes 4 . Is it more expensive for for tires. Yes. But to me it is more convenient and safe.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:56 PM   #31

Double or Single, sometimes there is not a choice. There is a large and growing segment of trailers with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs or under. These are designed to be pulled by vehicles with a max tow rating of 5,000 lbs or under. For those vehicle owners it is not a choice. By designing around the single axle, the manufactures are able to offer more features whale keeping the overall weight under control.

I've owned and pulled 1, 2 and 3 axle trailers of many configurations, they all work for there intended purposes.

Earlier this year the wife and I intentionally sought out and purchased our single axle Surveyor. It is working out fine for us. Tows great behind the Explorer and the F150.

One more thing, a lot of single axle trailers come in a 90" width. For the most part standard mirrors will work without add on's or trailer tow mirrors. Your experience may differ.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Double or Single, sometimes there is not a choice. There is a large and growing segment of trailers with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs or under. These are designed to be pulled by vehicles with a max tow rating of 5,000 lbs or under. For those vehicle owners it is not a choice. By designing around the single axle, the manufactures are able to offer more features whale keeping the overall weight under control.

I've owned and pulled 1, 2 and 3 axle trailers of many configurations, they all work for there intended purposes.

Earlier this year the wife and I intentionally sought out and purchased our single axle Surveyor. It is working out fine for us. Tows great behind the Explorer and the F150.

One more thing, a lot of single axle trailers come in a 90" width. For the most part standard mirrors will work without add on's or trailer tow mirrors. Your experience may differ.

Many of these larger single axle trailers have discovered that the real world loaded tongue weight exceeds their TV's hitch capacity and/or their payload capacity, after subtracting passengers/vehicle cargo weights.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Many of these larger single axle trailers have discovered that the real world loaded tongue weight exceeds their TV's hitch capacity and/or their payload capacity, after subtracting passengers/vehicle cargo weights.
Tongue weights are controllable, it's just like the loading the airplane, you have to know the weight and balance, or there are consequences. There are alternatives to wet cell batteries, heavy (more than 50lb.) WDH's, dual propane tanks, excess fluid in the holding tanks, and the list goes on. If your lifestyle dictates taking along enough supplies for a 2 week outing, your equipment needs may change, but for some of us, a smaller single axle trailer is just the ticket.

We have spent about 45 nights in our Surveyor with a single 20lb. propane tank. We have cooked, brewed coffee, used the grill, and at times heated the water for a shower and the Mopeka tank monitor still shows' 81% full.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 08-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #34

I found it interesting when I bought a horse trailer that none of them came with single axles. Even the smallest ones. Wonder why?
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Tongue weights are controllable, it's just like the loading the airplane, you have to know the weight and balance, or there are consequences. There are alternatives to wet cell batteries, heavy (more than 50lb.) WDH's, dual propane tanks, excess fluid in the holding tanks, and the list goes on. If your lifestyle dictates taking along enough supplies for a 2 week outing, your equipment needs may change, but for some of us, a smaller single axle trailer is just the ticket.

We have spent about 45 nights in our Surveyor with a single 20lb. propane tank. We have cooked, brewed coffee, used the grill, and at times heated the water for a shower and the Mopeka tank monitor still shows' 81% full.
I think BikenDan meant what I discovered, although the overall trailer weight on single axles units may be within the tow specs, the tongue weight seldom is. I doubt any of these trailers have tongue weights below 500 lbs when ready for travel, which is the tongue weight limit of almost all mid size SUVs.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I think BikenDan meant what I discovered, although the overall trailer weight on single axles units may be within the tow specs, the tongue weight seldom is. I doubt any of these trailers have tongue weights below 500 lbs when ready for travel, which is the tongue weight limit of almost all mid size SUVs.
I know what BikenDan meant, and I know what you are saying, and I am trying to say there are single axle units out there that will work if you correctly apply weight and balance. Not everyone needs to throw 1000+lbs of junk on board, Me and the wife do it with 400 lbs. or less including water, battery, propane, hitch and the dog.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 08-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #37

Quote:
I know what BikenDan meant, and I know what you are saying, and I am trying to say there are single axle units out there that will work if you correctly apply weight and balance. Not everyone needs to throw 1000+lbs of junk on board, Me and the wife do it with 400 lbs. or less including water, battery, propane, hitch and the dog.
The dog rides in the trailer?
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
The dog rides in the trailer?
Are you kidding me! that dog has more privilege's than I.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
Old 08-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not necessarily. I've had two "blowouts" on one of my tandem axle trailers over the years and neither time did the blowout damage any of the brake wires.

It could happen but it's not an absolute. All depends on how wires are routed, how fast one is traveling, and how long before they realize the tire has failed.
Mike, my point is that with one tire gone, the rubber is gone and has no resistance when the brakes are applied. Thus, half of the stopping power is gone on the trailer.

We have had a blowout on a tandem axle trailer. It bent a fender, but did not damage the brake system. We have also had a flat on a tandem axel trailer and didn't know it until we stopped and notice the flat.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Mike, my point is that with one tire gone, the rubber is gone and has no resistance when the brakes are applied. Thus, half of the stopping power is gone on the trailer.

We have had a blowout on a tandem axle trailer. It bent a fender, but did not damage the brake system. We have also had a flat on a tandem axel trailer and didn't know it until we stopped and notice the flat.
That's because you do not have a TPMS. If you have a flat on one time of a dual axel, the other tire now carries the weight, and will overheat and blow to real quick at highway speeds!! To me, a TPMS is a necessity.

Tags
axle