Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #41

Towed single and double. No problem with either.........IMHO the single axle is somewhat harder to back up.

- HistoricMustang

2021 Forest River "Salem" FSX 177BH
2022 Ford F-150 XL 5.0 Liter V8, Tow Package, 400HP 410lbs Torque, 2WD, 3.31 Locking Rear End, Super Crew Cab, Vinyl Floors, Factory Steel Wheels, Iconic Silver
"Keep Calm and Take Them to the Train Station"
HistoricMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post
Towed single and double. No problem with either.........IMHO the single axle is somewhat harder to back up.

- HistoricMustang
X2
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #43

Distance from hitch to axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricMustang View Post

- HistoricMustang
It's generally agreed that the shorter the distance from hitch to axle(s), the harder it is to back up. Single axle trailers are likely to have a short hitch-axle distance since they are smaller and since they need to have a low tongue weight for pulling with CUVs and mini-pickups.

I would guess that it's not the single axle that makes it hard, but the short hitch-to-axle distance.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It's generally agreed that the shorter the distance from hitch to axle(s), the harder it is to back up. Single axle trailers are likely to have a short hitch-axle distance since they are smaller and since they need to have a low tongue weight for pulling with CUVs and mini-pickups.

I would guess that it's not the single axle that makes it hard, but the short hitch-to-axle distance.
Actually almost all single axle TT have heavier tounge weight than a comparable double axle. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on trailer reviews and every single one with a single axle is heavier for the size. It's the first thing I check.
It just seems that the axle is farther back then it should be. I would think it's to help with sway.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
Actually almost all single axle TT have heavier tounge weight than a comparable double axle. I watch a lot of YouTube videos on trailer reviews and every single one with a single axle is heavier for the size. It's the first thing I check.
It just seems that the axle is farther back then it should be. I would think it's to help with sway.
I think it's because the common 3,500lbs rated single axle trailers have to take the full difference with GVWR on the hitch, plus some margin. With a 5,000lbs axle usually 14" tire load ratings become the limiting factor.

Loading a single axle can be tricky, as most layouts have a queen upfront with the biggest storage space underneath. It's easy to end up with >15% TW.
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
My own personal opinion, (and everybody in the world can disagree with me if they'd like) I wouldn't own a single axle travel trailer for these reasons. If you get a blowout on a single axle trailer you have a better chance of losing control, getting into an accident and/or doing damage. On a dual axle you can usually slow down and get to a safer place to change a tire.
I just had a China bomb blowout on my single axle trailer. Other than $7000 worth of damage to the wheel well and surrounding structures, absolutely no control problems as I pulled onto the shoulder from 65 mph.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...me-229790.html
Old 08-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #47

I'm still on my first TT, a 2017 FR Cherokee 274 DBH, which is a double axle, and I just experienced my first ever blow out, going 65 mph, on my way home from a long weekend.

*Side note on the condition of the tires. There are only approximately 5000 miles on them and when I store it for the winter, I pull it onto 2 by 10's or steel ramps so the tires aren't resting on the ground all winter, and I put a winter/solar cover over the wheels to protect from sun and snow.

With that being said, I'm convinced I ran over something to cause the blow out, because it was immediate and violent. It blew off the trim piece on the wheel well, broke a metal bracket and put a decent size whole in the nylon covering on the underside of the trailer, above the wheel well, which exposed insulation. As bad as the blow out was, I didn't really lose control of the trailer at all, didn't fishtail, but besides the loud BOOM, it was obvious something was wrong.

I feel like if that was a single axle, the trailer might have given me hell, and possibly caused me to swerve into the lanes next to me. So for that reason alone, I'll be going with double axles permanently.
Clarkdubya2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #48

Stating the obvious, the chance of a blowout on double axle is twice as high (four tires instead of two), probably even higher considering the wear by lateral tearing when making sharp turns. Getting to safety when it does happen on the other hand is easier with a double axle, changing a tire too (no need to jack up with a ramp). When I drive my single axle through long construction zones like currently on the WV turnpike I slow way down.
FredMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle