Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
I would be careful on this because it sounds like an out for the insurance company if you were ever in an accident. Not saying they would, but you never know. Some might view an incorrectly registered vehicle combo as one that isn't registered at all. Beware the corporate greedmongers.
I think that is my biggest concern. In an accident, no matter how minor, being over your weight limit is an invitation for a law suit from the other driver(s). They will contend "If you had been within your legal weight this accident would never have happened so you are responsible for my pain and suffering". And, yes, the insurance could quite possibly throw you under the bus!!
Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #22

Missouri (and possibly other states) are the same way for vehicle licenses. The TV must have a plate rated to exceed the combined weight of truck and trailer (Missouri RV trailers plates do not have "weight ratings; one size fits all.) So, on my truck, I have to have an 18,000 # weight-rated plate to cover the weight of both the truck and trailer. You would be surprised at how many 3/4 ton trucks I see pulling 5ers, with the truck plated at 12,000 #. A 12,00# plate works fine on the truck alone, but when you hook the 5er to it, the combined weight (both actual and sticker) is going to exceed the weight rating on the TV's plate.

A two-year 12,000 # plate is about the same cost as a one year 18,000# plate, and the 18,000# plate has to be renewed every year.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
OK, lets see...possibly the biggest hassle is finding someone at PennDot who actually has a clue. When you say Class A license they immediately reply with something like "oh, you mean a CDL". Once you get past that there seems to be no study guide so they tell you to use the CDL guide. Then there's the problem of finding someone with a Class A to go with me, since I can't legally drive my rig on a learners permit, to the testing location, the nearest one being 50 miles away. That's about the extent of my personal knowledge but I refer you to this link for a real horror story:

Pennsylvania DOT Requirements For Non-Commercial Class "B" Driver's License For Motorhomes Over 26,000 pounds - Laws and legislative action - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Now don't get me wrong, I like my Silverback but it is more camper then we really need. The one we're looking at is a foot shorter and 1800 pounds lighter with virtually the same features as the Silverback. We have found the length to be an issue a couple times with the kind of places we go as loosing a foot might be a good thing and lighter is always a good thing!
OMG!

What a nightmare. I can see why you are concerned!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #24

your fine, your not using your rig for commercial use. When someone can go buy a motor coach with air brakes and don't need an air brake endorsement, then no special endorsements are needed (as of yet) for towing a TT, 5'er, etc. I know someone that owns a KW that he uses to tow his 5'er with and due to its private use, all he had to do was put 'not for hire' on the side of it and he's fine. He replaced the factory 5th wheel plate with a smaller one for his 5'er.

(note: at the end of the day, it comes down to your state)
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #25

So, how many of you guys can pass a DOT Physical? If you get/have to have a Class A non-commercial license, it would seem that you should also be forced to get physical as the commercial drivers have to.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
So, how many of you guys can pass a DOT Physical? If you get/have to have a Class A non-commercial license, it would seem that you should also be forced to get physical as the commercial drivers have to.
Maryland doesn't require that for their non-commercial licenses.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maryland doesn't require that for their non-commercial licenses.

I was reading that on some state licensing sites. A non-commercial licenses basically states that you are not getting paid. So.... why the several different classes of non-commercial licenses? Just to say that you can drive a bigger, longer, heavier truck/unit?

Not getting into an argument, just talking out loud.

ependydad.... in your picture it looks as if you have Micky ears on? If you do, you are a very good father to be one of the gang. If you don't this was not meant to be a slight, just looks that way.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
I was reading that on some state licensing sites. A non-commercial licenses basically states that you are not getting paid. So.... why the several different classes of non-commercial licenses? Just to say that you can drive a bigger, longer, heavier truck/unit?
For Maryland (and I really can't speak to others), there is a special written test and driving test that goes along with the class A non-commercial license. So, I do think you're exactly right in that it's to prove some proficiency with larger vehicles.

For Maryland, for motorhomes with air brakes (and are over 26,001 GVWR), owners/drivers are tested on proficiency with them as well.

Here is Maryland's guide for the testing:
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/_resourc...trip-Guide.pdf

Quote:
ependydad.... in your picture it looks as if you have Micky ears on? If you do, you are a very good father to be one of the gang. If you don't this was not meant to be a slight, just looks that way.
Yep, crappy cheap knock-off ears and thanks for the kind words. My son just turned 2 and we had a Mickey Mouse themed party. We had Mickey everything in the house. Wearing the goofy ears is easy- letting my (now 10 year old, then 6 or 7 year old) daughter and her friend do my hair, nails and make up -- that was something.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Perhaps this link can be helpful.

RV Driver's License Requirements

I just took and passed my NYS driving test for my 'R' endorsement. The test was easy and not a big hassle at all. If you have any doubt that you should make the effort to be legal, then just turn on your TV and see how many attorneys are out there soliciting lawsuits. If you've ever had to appear in a courtroom you know that attorneys will twist things into a way that will cost you mucho $$$$. Be safe.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #30

Quote:

Not getting into an argument, just talking out loud.

It's all about the money. They can charge more for higher class registrations and licenses. Many years ago (like maybe 40 years) PA had just one license and you could drive whatever you had. When they went to the current system you could be grandfathered at whatever class you felt you needed. Being young and dumb, I did nothing and got a class C by default. It I'd have known then what I know now....
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
It's all about the money. They can charge more for higher class registrations and licenses. Many years ago (like maybe 40 years) PA had just one license and you could drive whatever you had. When they went to the current system you could be grandfathered at whatever class you felt you needed. Being young and dumb, I did nothing and got a class C by default. It I'd have known then what I know now....

Maybe so, but I actually like that Maryland has their requirement because it requires additional testing and showing competence/proficiency in handling large vehicles. I just wish they made it easier/more realistic to take (the permit/requiring a driver at or above that class level is a fairly insurmountable challenge for me).
Old 06-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Drivers license oops!

I just checked Ontario. In 2011 they changed the maximum combined TV and Fifth Wheel only to 24,250 lbs. this applies to a general class G Licence, lowest class. With my D licence I can drive anything with max towed of 10,000lbs which is any motorhome. for combined over 24,250 you need to take a road test in your own truck and trailer for a special A R class. There is no driver training for this. Air Brakes on A or G or D is a Z endorsement that can be 12 hr college course or written and practical test.

This means many of the US driver classes with 26,000 lbs can not legally tow in Ontario. I say who is going to stop you.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Maybe so, but I actually like that Maryland has their requirement because it requires additional testing and showing competence/proficiency in handling large vehicles. I just wish they made it easier/more realistic to take (the permit/requiring a driver at or above that class level is a fairly insurmountable challenge for me).
Find a local delivery driver like a Pepsi or beer truck at a store making a delivery and offer them $50 or so for a half day and they will probably hook you up. Call your local towing company.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
I checked Ky's license class and it's 26k limit before requiring a Class C CDL. The statue just states "weight". If using GVW of my fiver and TV I'm #24,100 combined. Thanks for the useful info.
Could you link me to this info? The state of ky has no such licencing requirement.

There is no special Drivers licence for RV's no matter the weight.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #35

CDL Classes for Every State

The Act established separate classes of commercial driver's licenses. Every state issues licenses in these categories:

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GWVR) of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous

There are no federal standards in place for on-the-road commercial driver training. The government

OTE=transamz9;633149]Could you link me to this info? The state of ky has no such licencing requirement.

There is no special Drivers licence for RV's no matter the weight.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the info from Ky DMV. It is actually a federal quideline applied to all states and I should have corrected to CDL class A. However, I have also read, from numerous sources, it does not apply to personal use vehicles, including RV's. Only applies when operating as a business.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This means many of the US driver classes with 26,000 lbs can not legally tow in Ontario. I say who is going to stop you.

Brian
Interesting. I have tried to find any specific information on licensing reciprocity between the US and Canada and specifically Ontario, no luck.

Hard to believe Ontario would pass up all those tourist bucks and that RVers would need to go back into the States to go from Quebec to Manitoba.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #37

the CDL's do not apply to personal vehicles. Also, before everyone starts jumping to DMV and getting a CDL, keep in mind, if you do, you have to put DOT numbers on your TV, you will have to fill out log books, YOU WILL have to follow ALL DOT Rules, even when not towing your TT.

The rules do not apply to personal vehicles. Unless your hauling campers for someone over the country and getting paid, then you need a CDL for that, otherwise you don't.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #38

Drivers in Texas can operate up to 25,999 lbs. of towing vehicle without a special license, but once your setup exceeds or equals 26,000 lbs., you'll need a class-B noncommercial driver's license.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #39

Interesting topic - When friends bought their Cardinal the dealer insisted on seeing proof of correct licence type before letting them pull off the lot - I do believe they may have some liability here if they let you drive off improperly licensed.
Some links that may be of interest:
Reciprocal Agreements: Between Canadian Provinces/Territories and U.S. States
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...uestions.shtml
http://cvsa.org/members/documents/20...ised-01-13.pdf
Trailer Towing | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws & Compare Laws | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
This one is commercial but may translate to some classes of drivers licence:
Reciprocity and Recognition of United States and Canadian Commercial Drivers Licenses | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #40
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
the CDL's do not apply to personal vehicles. Also, before everyone starts jumping to DMV and getting a CDL, keep in mind, if you do, you have to put DOT numbers on your TV, you will have to fill out log books, YOU WILL have to follow ALL DOT Rules, even when not towing your TT.

The rules do not apply to personal vehicles. Unless your hauling campers for someone over the country and getting paid, then you need a CDL for that, otherwise you don't.
The original topic started over a non-commercial cdl not a cdl, there is a diffrence and yes some may need a non-cdl and no they would jot need dot numbers or a log. CDL & NON-CDL are two different animals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote