Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I've seen them.

They eliminate the gap in the contract patch, so, I would suspect that the patch is these same or slightly better than a dually. From an appearance standpoint, they are just as wide as a Dually and have similar characteristics.

We're not talking about that though and last I checked no manufacturer was equipping their trucks with this out of the gate.
If you go to the manufacturer's website (Kenworth) allows you to chose them as an option. But most truckers are leary of them and they don't want to try them.
I think the biggest problem with tires failing...is the operator not keeping the proper air pressure and they don't check the air pressure often enough. I should have a DRW....but for as often as I tow which is hardly ever....I choose the SRW as its my daily driver.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins0867 View Post
If you go to the manufacturer's website (Kenworth) allows you to chose them as an option. But most truckers are leary of them and they don't want to try them.
I think the biggest problem with tires failing...is the operator not keeping the proper air pressure and the don't check the air pressure often enough. I should have a DRW....but for as often as I tow which is hardly ever....so I choose the SRW as its my daily driver.
I would think the ability to perform in wet weather is probably diminished on such a setup. Not as easy to displace water without a way to channel it out quickly.

In a dually setup if one tire goes on the rear you still have one there to support the load and help you come to a stop safely. You can't say the same about a super single.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I would think the ability to perform in wet weather is probably diminished on such a setup. Not as easy to displace water without a way to channel it out quickly.

In a dually setup if one tire goes on the rear you still have one there to support the load and help you come to a stop safely. You can't say the same about a super single.
I'm sure super singles have water routing grooves, same as any other tire. We see a lot of semis using super singles on our highway travels. They are becoming more and more prevalent.
Now back to RVs and pickups.
As far as duallies allowing you to have a flat and get to the side of the road safely; you are aware duallies have a single front tire right?
But I agree that duallies have a lot of pluses, but they also have negatives as compared to SRW. So the DRW vs SRW is a personal preference based on individual needs. No wrong decision.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 12-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #44

We have a 43' 2018 Sandpiper, dry weight of 14K, loaded close to 16K, that we pulled with a 2015 Ford F250, 6.7L Diesel crew cab. It towed it fine and we had no problems, but we were on the Ford lot and they had a F350 DRW that DH liked the looks of. It had very few additional "gadgets" other than a backup camera, etc.

They made him a whoppin' deal and we drove it off the lot.

On our first tow, we headed out on a 3-hr trip and it was amazingly comfortable and although we hadn't had any problems towing with the F250, the DRW was so much more stable. We didn't feel large trucks flying by half as much as in the 250, there was little "feeling" the 5er back there.

I will never tow anything this large with anything but the DRW.

ON EDIT: We get about 12 mpg towing the 5er or any other trailer we pull. Regular mileage is about 16.5, towing 12.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
But I agree that duallies have a lot of pluses, but they also have negatives as compared to SRW. So the DRW vs SRW is a personal preference based on individual needs. No wrong decision.
x2 - Agree

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
Closed Thread