Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
West Coast Folks

Engine reduced power fiasco on a DuroMax 08

Hey there.
Same thing happened to me when I had the same truck..
The problem was in the fuel filter. On the bottom of the fuel filter is an elec. sensor for water. This thing s'posedly got stuck and it sends the engine into reduced power mode. It happened with me in Quebec where all our fellow country men speak mostly French only,..that's another story...but they have good GMC mechanics that know their stuff. He changed the entire filter and we were away. They seemed to know exactly what to look for.
Hope this will help you. Yes,...always carry a spare filter, and you get at the thing from inside the right wheel well on the outside.

The West Coast Folks...just back from the Black Hills
:canada-flag-waving
Days traveled:
Vancouver to Newfoundland and back, Vancouver to the Black Hills,return, Vancouver to Fairbanks return. (we like the long hauls)
Wildcat 313RL (lifted),
2015 Dodge diesel 3500 (lifted)
West Coast Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ane-54530.html

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #23

Check for rusty fuel line from tank. My 2005 company truck developed pin holes in fuel line that sucked in to much air under load. Ran fine when not towing. While your under there check your brake lines. Mine rusted through too. Got to love the Midwest snow and salt.
beachcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #24

I have a 2003 Duramax, it would shut down for no reason. I would prime the filter & it would be ok for awhile, than again, shut down. I discovered the O-Ring on the bleeder screw on top of the fuel filter housing had a hair line crack in it. I replaced the O-Ring & have had no problems since. Aparantly, it was sucking a tiny bit of air & over time would loose its prime. Hope this is helpful, if this is your problem. An easy fix
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #25

On my 2012 duramax,I started it remotely, it ran for a few minutes and shut down. the check engine light came on and then the message was "reduced speed in 75 miles" check owners manuel.
I took it into the dealership and they found the sensor wire running along the air conditioner lines had chaffed on the frame and was shorting. It was a simple fix. They thought it was the exhaust canister plugged originally.
Russlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #26

I had a very similar problem with my 2011. It was DEF system related and it took several tries but after they replaced all the sensors I have not had a problem. It was fixed when I had about 50,000 miles on it. No problem since then and am at 61,000 now.
samcunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #27

The dreaded reduced power message.
Use to happened to mine alot.You can clean out your dpf filter or do what I did and remove it.Must get it turned off by a tuner.
Never had a issue again
Plus have you checked your fuel filter. (And don't get those crappy plastic filters nothing but a headach)
Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #28

There should be one or more codes stored.

Autozone or O'Reilly stores will read them for free. That way you can get an idea what is going on.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #29

As Turbs stated CODES. If you tell us the codes chances are your troubles are over.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #30

Duramax Diesel - engine reduced power

Had the same problem for almost two years and fixed it with a repair kit for the Fuel Filter Primer. Was able to purchase the kit at Auto Zone.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #31

Reduced power

Same problem last year with 2015 finally replaced. The valve that fixed Carl Chevy Ankeny is fixed
sbelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #32

Fuel Filter

Look at % good for fuel filter. I suspect it is dead or near dead. Had the same problem towing up a mountain pass. Left home with 60% life remaining on fuel filter. Suspect I got some bad fuel at a station out in the boonies of Wyoming. Limped back downhill after leaving the 5th wheel by the road and found a guy in Lander, Wy to change the fuel filter and life is now good. Drover thought that pass today at 60 mph; much better than 5mph.

Good luck. With a diesel; it is usually the fuel.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #33

I had the same problem with my 2004 GMC. Fortunatly, the first time it happened in the mountains about 500 miles from home, I had a code reader that I used to reset the ECM. I kept the rpms down and made it to the campground and then home again. I changed the fuel filter and the problem was solved.

Do yourself a favor and either get a code reader that will allow you to reset or cancel the error codes or get yourself a tuner that will do the same thing. I got a tuner that puts the ECM into "TOW MODE" which adds a few horses to the engine and tunes the transmission for better towing. I always keep the truck in this mode and have never had a problem.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #34

Replace the fuel filter housing. If you have to re-prime, its likely an air leak. I had a similar problem with my LBZ except mine was towing a grade. If you decide to replace the housing, check around on prices.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Kitt View Post
I had the same problem with my 2004 GMC. Fortunatly, the first time it happened in the mountains about 500 miles from home, I had a code reader that I used to reset the ECM. I kept the rpms down and made it to the campground and then home again. I changed the fuel filter and the problem was solved.

Do yourself a favor and either get a code reader that will allow you to reset or cancel the error codes or get yourself a tuner that will do the same thing. I got a tuner that puts the ECM into "TOW MODE" which adds a few horses to the engine and tunes the transmission for better towing. I always keep the truck in this mode and have never had a problem.
Great. What was the code?
Old 07-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #36

Had the same issue with my 2007. Turned out I had gotten bad fuel on the back roads of LA. Replaced fuel filter and "O" rings that come with most fuel filters. Fixed issue, always travel with spare fuel filter, learned quickly most auto supply places do not stock these filters. Was fortunate the O'Rileys did but at a higher pric. Got me back on the road, so extra price was worth it when you are 300 miles from home. Not the biggest fan of Amazon, but they do carry filter at a good price.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #37

Did you ever get the code out of your truck? I am going to guess P0087. Low fuel rail pressure. There is a lot of things that can cause this code. The most popular are: bad fuel pressure regulator, plugged fuel filter, bad fuel filter head, bad water in fuel sensor, and bad fuel lines between fuel filter and CP3. A bad CP3 can also cause this code, but that is the last thing I would check because it is the most expensive.

The Duramax engine does not have a fuel lift pump. It is highly recommended that all Duramax owners add one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #38

Seam's people ask for help but when someone replies with a question (ie what was the code) they don't reply.??
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #39

So agreed to that mike.t people throw a question or problem with no or little information and no follow up.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #40

jimmy. There was another topic about something the OP needed help with.As usual there were many replies from the FR group and nothing from the OP. I finally said to him if you got it fixed with the help of someone here please thank them. He got back and said something like i found the lens thanks. Losers!!

Tags
diesel, power