Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave09 View Post
I apologize in advance if this has been addressed previously! Looking at the new 2021 E-Pro E20BHS with a UVW of 3,513 lbs and GVW of 4,455. Tongue weight comes in at 455 lbs.

Now that being said, my 2016 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5L V6 naturally aspirated came from factory without hitch. A Class III was installed by dealer with the following ratings: 5,000 lbs WD hitch/500 lbs hitch weight or 4,500 regular tow/675 lbs hitch weight. Door frame sticker on my Explorer gives a 6,190 lbs GVWR and a 1,353 lbs weight limit on loading the SUV (passengers and cargo). Which, I’m guessing gives me a curb weight (with full gas tank?) of 4,837 lbs?!?!

I’m planning on adding an Equalizer WD Hitch with Sway Control and a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller.

My understanding, so far, is that I’m not that close to my vehicle tow limit, but I’m pushing the tongue weight limit of 500 lbs once I start loading the TT.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have experience with this same type of vehicle and limits using this same type of TT? Planning on starting off camping close to home in NJ and then venturing off west across the US.

I have three kids under 3 yrs old (All in car seats!) and two 70 lbs German Shepards, but will only bring one on travel. Also have a Thule Motion XT XXL Roof Box.

Im really just looking for some real towing experiences and some technical advice with tow capacities and ratings! Thanks again!!
According to Ford, w/o the factory tow package you’re limited to 2,000 lbs and 20 sq-ft of frontal area. With the factory tow package gets you 5,000 lbs and 40 sq-ft of frontal area.

From looking at the brochure, the factory tow package adds an oil cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3C10456-205F-4431-AA5D-C7702B69AFD3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	238351  
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford