Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

E2 Hitch Question

My family and I are out in our SP295 this week, and this morning while waiting for the girls to get dressed I was looking over some items on our camper. I noticed that the spring bar L brackets on the tongue were a little loose. I've never noticed this before and wanted to make sure that a little back and forth movement was normal. Can anybody weigh in on this for me?

Thanks!
nixalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Completely normal! Mine have done the same since install and still to this day... If they move more than a half inch or so I'd say its probably excessive... Just make sure and see if the nuts holding the saddle brackets on are tight...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Excellent! Thanks for the speedy info!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

If you look under your frame where the lower bolt holds the L-bracket there may be a space.On mine it was 5/32.The manufacturer tries to build the spacing from bolt to bolt to fit "most" frames. The top bolt should be right on the frame top and the bottom bolt should be as close as possible. If there is much of a space the L-bracket may "walk" back on the frame. Not good because the spring bar needs flat contact on the L-bracket. It can't do its job and will wear the bracket if it doesn't. Try putting a flat piece of iron or even hardwood (oak) in the space between the bolt and the frame.Tight!so it can't fall out. Now the L-bracket can't pivot back or forward. Good Luck. By the way the E2 guys are very helpful!
Shortribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the info! I'm starting to suspect the hitch components were just "thrown" onto the camper haphazardly when we bought it. I tightened down the two nylock nuts on the spring arm cradles before we departed for home on our previous trip. They were seemingly not much more than hand tight. This made a tremendous difference in the way the camper towed on the way home, but since then I've made some other observations that I will be looking into more thoroughly before taking it out again. One, the entire driver's side brackets looks like it has been pulled toward the coupler about an inch, so I will be verifying the two brackets are the same distance from the ball. The other is that, as you mentioned, the spring arms don't sit flat in their respective cradles. They sit on the leading edge of the cradles and appear to be wearing them down. I just don't think the hitch was installed properly as a whole and I'm thinking I will most likely remove and reinstall it. Thanks again for the info!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Great! Hope I helped keep you safe and having fun. The L-Bracket plates should be about 26 inches back from the ball center and equal.( I hope we have the same hitch.) The bolts squeezing the two link plates should be torqued to 50-70 ft-lbs. There are several other adjustment that will make life easier and safer for you you. I suggest looking up Progress MFG. Inc. - Home. You can download the instructions free. I have had great help from "Steve" at the website.
Shortribs is offline   Reply With Quote