Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Herschel

earliest pickup with blind spot warning option?

I purchased a car in 2019 that has a host of driver assist options: smart cruise control, blind spot warning, lane keeping assist, etc. I have really enjoyed those features and, at 75 y.o, am seriously considering replacing my 2007 Ram 1500 with a newer pickup with those features for both convenience and safety. I tow a travel trailer that does well with my 1500 5.7 Hemi. Does anyone know which year models of Ram, Ford, and Chevy/GMC offered those options. Definitely interested in a used vehicle.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #2

i believe your option list was available on higher trim level F-150s in 2015, maybe earlier. Only short coming, the adaptive cruise cuts out at about 25 mph. You'd be looking at Lariat and Platinum trim. I think they eliminated the 25 mph cutout in 2018. Platinum trim has "active motion" seats - get a massage as you roll down the road. Knocks out the kinks during a long drive.

You can find the 2015 brochure here:

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...stalCode=17406
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

Sailorsam nailed the fords. Additional notes on the Ford.

The BLIS works with the trailer 2018 and later.
On my 2019 the cruise does not go all the way down to zero but will kick off at 35 and then the truck will stop itself if it detects a collision. It will not resume. Its scary trying to test this and trust it. I believe they added the stop portion in 2017 as my 2016 just beeped at you and never applied the brake.

Speed adjust cruise is a must have for me now and the messaging seats are even better.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:52 AM   #4

For Chevy/GMC, 2019 for the 1500 on higher trims; 2020 for HD models on the higher trims.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #5

The new Ram higher trim has all those features.
I went Ford after 3 well running Rams and regretted it, going back to Ram and my soon to be delivered Ram has all of those features.
Will admit the Ford did the active cruise control right, my Wife’s Honda Pilot has it and we shut it off, too much delay from turning on and when let off gas to when it kicked back on.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

Also consider the higher option and trim level content needed to get the driving nannies will cut into the payload of the truck.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Also consider the higher option and trim level content needed to get the driving nannies will cut into the payload of the truck.
My 2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 has blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert and a sun roof and it still has 1910 lbs of payload capacity.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #8

How does blind spot warning work with a trailer? I needed a small UHaul trailer for my car and discovered when I plugged in the trailer lights the blind spot feature was deactivated. Makes sense though. The feature doesn’t know where the end of the trailer is.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
How does blind spot warning work with a trailer? I needed a small UHaul trailer for my car and discovered when I plugged in the trailer lights the blind spot feature was deactivated. Makes sense though. The feature doesn’t know where the end of the trailer is.

In our new 2019 Ram Laramie the trailer blind spot works with trailers.

How? You say

I noticed that when you first hook up the trailer it defaults to a 10 foot trailer. WAAAA?

But, when you make your first hard turn, the sensors "see" the entire trailer and VOILA! It now reads a 30 foot trailer. Actually 30'11".

So as soon as I pull out of our driveway onto the road we are good to go.

Someone was thinking at Ram
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
In our new 2019 Ram Laramie the trailer blind spot works with trailers.

How? You say

I noticed that when you first hook up the trailer it defaults to a 10 foot trailer. WAAAA?

But, when you make your first hard turn, the sensors "see" the entire trailer and VOILA! It now reads a 30 foot trailer. Actually 30'11".

So as soon as I pull out of our driveway onto the road we are good to go.

Someone was thinking at Ram

My 2015 Ford shuts off those sensors when a trailer is connected. My soon to arrive 2020 Ram will have what you just stated
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
On trucks with the system, it ties into the trailer tow information. Trailer must be a conventional ball mount hitch, be less than 9' wide and front of trailer less than 8.5', and under 33' long. You must enter the trailer length into the system. The following is C/P from my 2019 owners manual.

The system is designed to detect vehicles that may have entered the blind spot zone
(A). The detection area is on both sides of your vehicle and trailer, extending rearward from the exterior mirrors to the end of your trailer.
The system turns on when all of the
following occur:
• You attach a trailer to your vehicle.
• You have set up the trailer to work with the system through the information display.
• You start your vehicle.
• You shift into drive (D).
• The vehicle speed is greater than
6 mph (10 km/h).
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My 2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 has blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert and a sun roof and it still has 1910 lbs of payload capacity.
I was generally stating that luxury trim levels on pickups tend have lower cargo ratings. Glad to hear it does not apply in your case.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #13

Blind Spot

The Ford blind spot on the 2019 handles up to, a 40 foot trailer. I had it on my Toyota and it really beeped and flashed at you(did not work w/ the trailer). The Ford has a very small light in the rear view mirrors and I am disappointed in it. It does flash when someone is in my slide spot w/ the trailer-just not very loud. Owner sets the length of their trailer in system. Same w/ the side sensors.
I have the interactive cruise on my Audi, great system. I would have gotten it on my new truck except for 3 reasons. 1- Ford only put it on the F-350s as part of much more expensive options. 2-The entire electric unit for it is inside the steering column. 3. All the trucks that had the interactive also had the lane assist. I have that on my other car and if you slowly change lanes, it will beep and shake the wheel. This is a another feature that inside the steering column. maybe Ford does it better but, towing a trailer I tend to be slower switching lanes. I find it irritating as hell when in heavy traffic, when you switch lanes slower, alarm goes off and steering wheel shakes. A lot of times it is very distracting when you are in several lanes of traffic, trying to get over for an exit.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
The Ford blind spot on the 2019 handles up to, a 40 foot trailer. I had it on my Toyota and it really beeped and flashed at you(did not work w/ the trailer). The Ford has a very small light in the rear view mirrors and I am disappointed in it. It does flash when someone is in my slide spot w/ the trailer-just not very loud. Owner sets the length of their trailer in system. Same w/ the side sensors.
I have the interactive cruise on my Audi, great system. I would have gotten it on my new truck except for 3 reasons. 1- Ford only put it on the F-350s as part of much more expensive options. 2-The entire electric unit for it is inside the steering column. 3. All the trucks that had the interactive also had the lane assist. I have that on my other car and if you slowly change lanes, it will beep and shake the wheel. This is a another feature that inside the steering column. maybe Ford does it better but, towing a trailer I tend to be slower switching lanes. I find it irritating as hell when in heavy traffic, when you switch lanes slower, alarm goes off and steering wheel shakes. A lot of times it is very distracting when you are in several lanes of traffic, trying to get over for an exit.
This is really interesting. I rent cars almost every week because my job requires a massive amount of travel. I have had dozens (if not hundreds) of cars with "lane assist" (under various brand names) from the US3, most Japanese and Korean brands, most German brands, and some outliers like Range Rover, Jaguar, and Maserati. I have never run into one where the lane assist complained while changing lanes. I was under the impression that the turn signal disabled the function...?

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #15

As I remember in 2016 we drove an upper level Chevrolet 2500 that had it. Also lane control.

Common thou, I doubt it.

My 18 Jag has it. Really helpful with a big blind spot.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
As I remember in 2016 we drove an upper level Chevrolet 2500 that had it. Also lane control.

Common thou, I doubt it.

My 18 Jag has it. Really helpful with a big blind spot.
My BIL has a 2016 Silverado 1500 with blind spot, etc features.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #17

Lane assist

On the Audi, even w/ the turn signal on, it is activated by a ratio of factors. The speed you are traveling, angle of turn. and quickness of steering wheel motion. I have had the same conversation w/ Audi service techs. The car has a radar sensors on each front corner that read the lines and feeds the info back into the computer. I also have driven many different vehicles, from different brands and had a commercial license for my job. But others cars w/ lane assist have had similar reactions. I notice it in tight Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston traffic, squeezing into spaces to get off exits or around wrecks.
Maybe Ford made adjustments for the trucks, and I have not driven one w/ the feature. I would have tried it, but as I said all the Super Duty trucks I found over 6 months, looking in 300 mi radius were $80K + trucks. They had it bundled w/ features I did not want or need. I would try it before buying one. I just do not care for it.
My experience w/ the interactive cruise is very positive. I once drove over 300 miles and never touched the brake, very cool and a great safety feature. On my car you can adjust following distance and the car will turn off and restart when you take your foot off the brakes. Took some time to feel comfortable w/ it, and not sure I would tow w/ it. I wanted on my new truck but was not willing to buy all the add-ons.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #18

Quote:
I find it irritating as hell when in heavy traffic, when you switch lanes slower, alarm goes off and steering wheel shakes. A lot of times it is very distracting when you are in several lanes of traffic, trying to get over for an exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I was under the impression that the turn signal disabled the function...?

On Fords, the lane assist, if available on the vehicle, is controllable. It has multiple levels of warning both visual and tactile, and can be turned off.
Also as tomkatb indicated, turn signal use disables the warning.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
My 16 F150 had lane warning, correction, and BLIS but BLIS disabled with the trailer. They added BLIS with the trailer in 2017 on the F150. I think 2016 was the first year for BLIS on the F150 but not sure.
My 2019 f350 has BLIS works with the trailer but not lane keep assist only departure warning.

I tend to agree. It's a balance they are still working on.

On the 19 ford F350 they have lane departure alert only. No correction or steering as they had not put the steering control in yet. They do have the correction on the 2020 as this is when they added the trailer back assist. Both will vibrate the steering wheel if leaving the lane but it can be disabled permanently in menus or set light enough you don't hear and barely feel on the 19. The vibration in the F350 is weak and even on the highest setting is heard more than felt but it's in the wheel like you say.
There is only a light in the mirror and no noise or vibration with the BLIS on both.

I had the correction on my 16 f150. I turned it off with a button on the dash when towing because it jerked the wheel late a lot even when just alerting you and caused more problems than it solved. The correction was late and many times would force you back over your pulling the wheel so I agree very irritating and I would disable it frequently.

On the Tahoe I rented I thought I was getting shocked the first time it alerted me of something because it vibrates the seat. I jumped a bit in the seat.

All years disable lane correction and vibration with the blinker and low speeds but if you just hit the blinker briefly it only flashes 3 times. With a trailer attached it flashed 5 times giving you more time. You can set this via forscan if you want more or less but not simple and it will only add two flashes with the trailer attached no matter what you have it set to.

Curious what your concern is with the #2. Is it cost failure or complexity? I would like to understand I am not criticizing.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #20
Herschel

Question earliest pickup with blind spot warning option

So, I think what I am reading in this thread is that Ford put BSW as early as in the 2015, but it was turned off when a trailer was plugged in. Not until 2017 models of pickups, in general, had BSW included that works with trailers. And the option usually comes with higher end models. Is that right?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote