Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

eco boost info

Those of you that tow with F-150 Eco-boost, which rear end gears are you using? Seems to me that 3:31s are alittle small and the dealer wants to sell them to me. I researched it on the Ford website but still am sceptical of the #s. I use a Tundra 5.7l/4:30 gears now and if you ever towed with one you would see why I'm not sure so Looking for input from you experienced F 150 users. ( towing 5000lb unit)

Tx in advance.
steve baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

First off:

to the Forum!!

I do not have a F-150 so cannot directly address your question other than to say remember while a higher numerical rear gear is always better for towing, you need to keep in mind the overall final drive ratio will also be controlled by the tire size and transmission gear ratios. So comparison from one brand to another may be misleading.

Many years ago Dodge (well it was technically Mercedes at the time) changed the transmission gear ratios in the manual transmissions without telling anyone. It made a huge difference in final drive ratio and made it better to have a lower numerical rear end.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

I sure wouldn't do it, unless all of your towing is for very short trips, and not that often.
Can you even get the towing package with a rear ratio that low?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #4

Tx for the info, that is why I"m looking for real time towing feedback. The dealer would not let me take one home to do my own testing and I do not want to get stuck, I love my Tundra!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Here's my $0.02

Been a Toyota guy all my life.......many many Toyotas in the past. Traded my 5.7 Crewmax 4x4 for wife's Lexus. Truck was annoying daily driver in DFW metroplex because it was built for towing.....period. Loved Toyota......never really happy with ride quality of the Tundra. Gas mileage sucked but I know it would tow anything. However, didn't have a travel trailer at the time.

Moving forward:

Never thought I would own a Ford until I drove the ecoboost and the back wheels broke loose when I hit the gas on the test drive. I bought the truck and had the dealership add all the aftermarket stuff......35" tires, etc.

As a daily driver, it's a real pleasure to drive. However, with the 35" tires, I have an appointment to get the 3.55 gears changed to the 4.10 gears next week. The gear change will bring it inline with the 3.73 performance and I am convinced it will be a towing monster........hate to say it, but I believe it will be better than the Tundra because the ecoboost Torque & responsiveness is insane compared to any V8 I've ever owned.

Bottom line: Ecoboost is the real deal. If I were doing it over, I would get the 3.73 rear end and the max tow package, no question. You will appreciate the increased payload even if you don't think you will need it. The 3.73 mileage will beat the Tundra mileage all day and the engine is so quiet and the ride quality is a dream. Never thought I would say any of that about a ford.....just the way it is.

FYI: If you are interested in learning about the Ford quality changes, research the CEO and his actions during the auto bailout days and you will understand this is not the ford of 5 years ago. I was scared to buy ford until I did all that research......it is a different company now!!

Hope that helps.
Trippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

"I would get the 3.73 rear end and the max tow package, no question."
Well put.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #7

Kinda my feelings also, lots of up hill here in NW Pa! From what I have been able to find, looks like I would have to special order the truck if I go that way.

The other thing I haven't been able to find out is just what does the "max tow " package come with other than the mirrors and more Bumper weight.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"I would get the 3.73 rear end and the max tow package, no question."
Well put.
Ditto. It looks like Ford also offers a 4.10 final drive ratio for the Ecoboost, but with no increase in towing capacity. But imagine how that puppy would come off the line. But those might be a little rough on the fuel on highway fuel mileage.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

3.73 & Max Tow No Regrets

We have the Ecoboost with the 3.73 and max tow package.

Frequently tow our 21FBRS TT (5K) or a 2-horse trailer with dressing room (7K).

Yes, overkill for both, though very nice to get up to cruise speed (55-65) with either trailer fully loaded. No worries.

The truck is a daily driver and gets 16-17 mpg stop and go. We have seen 16 mpg highway with the TT on flat land.

I have seen 28 mpg on highway empty (55 mph) and gentle on the pedal.

The lower rear axle ratio is not suitable for towing. Also, the power is there is you need it or decide to upgrade. You know you're going to get a bigger TT.
HorseyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #10

I have a2011 eco screw with the 3:73 and the max tow pkg I have a roo 233s and a 20 ft thule cargo trailer I have no problem towing anything very really feel either one of them . Mileage about 12 towing 18 not and have had a much as 24 on the hwy long trips love the truck. Previous truck f150 5.4 screw 2004 doesn't compare
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseyHauler View Post
The lower rear axle ratio is not suitable for towing.
Huh ?? Lower final drive ratios (high numeric) are much better for towing, or at least that is what I have always understood.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They push the high gear ratios for fuel economy!
And 90% of 1/2 tons on the lot have a high ratio.
they want to sell those before they order one from another dealer or turn you away because they don't have a low ratio towing gear.

Nothing less than 3.73 should be used.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #13

The eco boost with Max Tow is the best option for any future trailer options in the ˝ ton range.
However, if you have to buy off the lot and a Max Tow cannot be found, get one with a tow package and 3.73 preferred.
I would not want a 3.31, especially for any long hilly tows.
The eco boost with the 3.55 and 3.73 are rated to tow about the same amount, but the 3.73 is the better choice.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
The eco boost with Max Tow is the best option for any future trailer options in the ˝ ton range.
However, if you have to buy off the lot and a Max Tow cannot be found, get one with a tow package and 3.73 preferred.
I would not want a 3.31, especially for any long hilly tows.
The eco boost with the 3.55 and 3.73 are rated to tow about the same amount, but the 3.73 is the better choice.
I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you are buying the Ecoboost and know at some point you will tow ANY trailer, I just don't see the point in not getting the maxtow package. It is very little money up front to avoid spending a whole lot more money down the road.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Just to be clear on axle ratios for those that may not understand.

A 4.10 ratio is a much lower ratio than a 3.31......even though it is a higher number.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn, the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times if the differential is geared for 4.10. Great for towing, but the engine needs to spin faster at any given speed and transmission gear. When the engine spins faster, then normally the fuel mileage is worse......with exceptions. If the engine is under heavy load, the increased engine speed may actually help fuel mileage, since it might be a better power band area. But on level road, the increased engine speed is gonna burn more fuel.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn with a 3.31 ratio differential, then the drive shaft has to rotate 3.31 times. With that ratio, it will be harder for the vehicle to take off.....with or without a trailer......but definitely with a trailer. Also with those stiffer gears (lower number, higher ratio), there will be wider "spacing" between the transmission gears, again leading to a little engine HP and torgue loss to the wheels.

In the mountain area where I live, I actually believe that the lower gear ratio helps some with fuel mileage.......less shifting, with the engine being able to keep in a better HP and torque range for the hilly conditions.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #16

jeeplj8 - not offended... and agree.. however Max Tow packages are hard to come by in some trim levels and in certain parts of the country. Ordering can take time. Depending on how quick a buyer needs a vehicle or can wait is a determining factor as to why someone would get something less than a Max Tow. If someone is leasing for 24-36 months, than that would be another factor.

If a buyer can get a max tow in the configuration the buyer wants, it would be silly not to buy it.
If any of the other factors come into play, the next best level is the 3.73 with factory tow.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Just to be clear on axle ratios for those that may not understand.

A 4.10 ratio is a much lower ratio than a 3.31......even though it is a higher number.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn, the drive shaft will rotate 4.10 times if the differential is geared for 4.10. Great for towing, but the engine needs to spin faster at any given speed and transmission gear. When the engine spins faster, then normally the fuel mileage is worse......with exceptions. If the engine is under heavy load, the increased engine speed may actually help fuel mileage, since it might be a better power band area. But on level road, the increased engine speed is gonna burn more fuel.

When the wheels rotate 1 turn with a 3.31 ratio differential, then the drive shaft has to rotate 3.31 times. With that ratio, it will be harder for the vehicle to take off.....with or without a trailer......but definitely with a trailer. Also with those stiffer gears (lower number, higher ratio), there will be wider "spacing" between the transmission gears, again leading to a little engine HP and torgue loss to the wheels.

In the mountain area where I live, I actually believe that the lower gear ratio helps some with fuel mileage.......less shifting, with the engine being able to keep in a better HP and torque range for the hilly conditions.
Good explanation. But I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the gear ratios affecting the truck's published towing capacity. My Silverado 1500 towing capacity is only about 6,700 pounds with the axle I have, while a different ratio - with the same engine, transmission and tow package - would increase that to over 9,000 pounds. Nothing different but the gear ratio. Does the same thing happen with the Ecoboost?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #18

Steve the max tow pkg also includes a seperate transmisson cooler placed in the front of the truck in front of the radiator , its own gauge on the dash gauges and a tow ,haul mode on the shifter which helps with effective transmission shifts smoothly when towing.
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
jeeplj8 - not offended... and agree.. however Max Tow packages are hard to come by in some trim levels and in certain parts of the country. Ordering can take time. Depending on how quick a buyer needs a vehicle or can wait is a determining factor as to why someone would get something less than a Max Tow. If someone is leasing for 24-36 months, than that would be another factor.

If a buyer can get a max tow in the configuration the buyer wants, it would be silly not to buy it.
If any of the other factors come into play, the next best level is the 3.73 with factory tow.
I agree. Unfortunately, I didn't know the max tow existed when I paid $4x,xxx for my truck.....woulda shoulda coulda.

So, I'm having to upgrade my 3.55 gears ($1,700 for 4X4) I am absolutely maxed out on my payload with wife, kid & carseat, dog & crate, and I had to purchase those goofy tow mirrors that slip over the factory mirrors. I also purchased a Bullydog GT tuner to maximize the towing capability. All in all, well over $2,000 extra and when my trailer is attached, I don't have enough payload remaining to carry anything extra in the vehicle.

Live and learn.....haha Will be awesome when regear is complete.....a real keeper!!!

Trippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good explanation. But I haven't seen a lot on this thread about the gear ratios affecting the truck's published towing capacity. My Silverado 1500 towing capacity is only about 6,700 pounds with the axle I have, while a different ratio - with the same engine, transmission and tow package - would increase that to over 9,000 pounds. Nothing different but the gear ratio. Does the same thing happen with the Ecoboost?
I think that happens to all vehicles up to a certain point. With the Ecoboost 3.73 and 4.10 options, they have the same tow ratings (~11,300 lbs.). Once you get to that much weight, maybe Ford finally considers the frame and braking power, so they don't go off of the chart with the lower ratios.