Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
bayoubuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 27
Ecoboost vs. Tundra

I know I'm probably starting something with this question, but..... Is there an appreciable difference between a Ecoboost Screw 2wd, 3.55 rearend and a tundra 2wd. 5.7 with 4.3 rear end. The F-150 would be a Lariat with standard tow package. I know there are a lot of you who have these TV's and could provide some real world info and not just quote numbers. Thanks.
__________________

__________________

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubuggie View Post
I know I'm probably starting something with this question, but..... Is there an appreciable difference between a Ecoboost Screw 2wd, 3.55 rearend and a tundra 2wd. 5.7 with 4.3 rear end. The F-150 would be a Lariat with standard tow package. I know there are a lot of you who have these TV's and could provide some real world info and not just quote numbers. Thanks.
Is there a difference ? wheres the Chevy and dodge in this comparison, if you're going to start something start something big
__________________

northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
bayoubuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Is there a difference ? wheres the Chevy and dodge in this comparison, if you're going to start something start something big
I figured just with those two it would be big enough!

My family needs all the cab room we can get and those two are the biggest. I know a lot of people really like their Ecoboost and their Tundra's. I've had people tell me that the Tundras are closer to 3/4 ton than 1/2 ton and just wanted to get some other opinions before I buy a truck. Going to look at a 2013 F-150 and a 2014 Tundra tomorrow.
__________________

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mark S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
I am on my 2nd Ecoboost. I had a 2011 Lariat 4x4 and now have a 2015 Laiat 4x4 with max tow. I tow a 7,500 loaded toy hauler out west every summer. It handles Colorado mountain passes with ease and rarely goes to 3,000 rpm.

I have no complaints with this truck. Towing I get around 10 mpg and not towing get around 18 in town and 20 hiway.

I hope this helps.

Mark
__________________
Mark and Joanne
2014 Fun Finder XT 276
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 4X4 SCrew Max Tow
2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
You're going about the comparison all wrong. Look at the resale value in 3-5 years,thats your real answer.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
if he trundra or 150 are close to a 3/4 why waste your time and money just get a 3/4 .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
bayoubuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
You're going about the comparison all wrong. Look at the resale value in 3-5 years,thats your real answer.
I plan on having whatever I buy for the next 8-10 years hopefully. Resale isn't my top priority.
__________________

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 188
I've been driving Toyotas for 25 years. I've only had 3 including my current Tundra. In my opinion, they are very reliable. Technically the Tundra is 1/2 ton but is designed and built as a 3/4 ton. I have only had my FW for a year and have not taken it out west yet. Before I purchased my Tundra I did a little research on 3/4 ton trucks that use gas. I considered a GMC but the horsepower was something like 345 HP and towing capacity was 7,000#. My Tundra has a 381 HP engine and 10,000#+.

I have only been to Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania and as far south to North Fort Myers, Fl. I travel 60/61 MPH and average 9.2 to 11 MPG. Unless I decide to get a bigger or heavier FW I will keep my Tundra. Over the past 25 years I have only needed to replace oil and filters, tires, batteries and windshield wipers.



Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
I go RV'ing not Camping
 
jgourlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lethbridge, Ab, Canada
Posts: 1,486
I previously was using a Tundra before I found my cherry 2000 chev 2500 that I got for a song and a dance, much better than a payment I had on the Tundra, but it is half the truck that the Tundra is.

I am not much of a Ford guy and I have experienced the Tundra and I can totally recommend it to you.
__________________
312QBUD Owners Thread
2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
2000 Chev 2500 Extended Cab 6 Liter
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
bayoubuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 27
Thanks for all the replies. They are exactly the kind of experienced opinions I am needing. My current TV is a 2008 Chevy 5.3. I know either of the two I'm considering will be way better than what I have now. My main concern with the Ford is the longevity of the Ecoboost.
__________________

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 92
Probably boils down to personal taste in regards to styling, price, and features. Most Ecoboost owners are going to vote for the Ford, and most Tundra owners for the Toyota. Either one will do the job.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
How 'bout them Cowboys!
2015 Rockwood 2104S
2013 F150 4x4 EcoPuller
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
bayoubuggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiecowboy View Post
Probably boils down to personal taste in regards to styling, price, and features. Most Ecoboost owners are going to vote for the Ford, and most Tundra owners for the Toyota. Either one will do the job.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
You're right, I guess a better question would have been is one any more capable than the other. I know what the numbers say,
I just wanted to hear from owners with actual towing experience. So far I've got great responses. Thanks.
__________________

2014 PT Tracer 2950 BHS
2008 Chevy 1500 CC
bayoubuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
I've been driving Toyotas for 25 years. I've only had 3 including my current Tundra. In my opinion, they are very reliable. Technically the Tundra is 1/2 ton but is designed and built as a 3/4 ton. I have only had my FW for a year and have not taken it out west yet. Before I purchased my Tundra I did a little research on 3/4 ton trucks that use gas. I considered a GMC but the horsepower was something like 345 HP and towing capacity was 7,000#. My Tundra has a 381 HP engine and 10,000#+.

I have only been to Raystown Lake in Pennsylvania and as far south to North Fort Myers, Fl. I travel 60/61 MPH and average 9.2 to 11 MPG. Unless I decide to get a bigger or heavier FW I will keep my Tundra. Over the past 25 years I have only needed to replace oil and filters, tires, batteries and windshield wipers.



Duane & Jan
2016 Crusader 295RST FW
2011 Toyota Tundra iForce 5.7 Limited Double Cab 6 speed automatic 4.10 gears

you must be talking 1500 without tow package .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,502
If you tow in the mountains and high elevations, then the ecoboost is your best bet as there is no degradation in power and towing capability with this engine compared to the Tundra.

However, if you are a sea level kind of guy, then the Tundra is a great machine an should last longer and be more reliable.

If you do decide on the Ford, make sure you get the Max Tow Package as a minimum unless your vehicle is simply a grocery getter.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #15
Member
 
Bowmanville SVT255S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 65
Toyota ..why lol

The big 3 are light years ahead of the rest still....and cost of maintenance will likely be cheaper.
__________________
2015 Ram Crew Hemi
2005 Surveyor SVT 255RS
Bowmanville SVT255S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmanville SVT255S View Post
The big 3 are light years ahead of the rest still....and cost of maintenance will likely be cheaper.
Except the Toyota rarely requires anything other than routine oil, fluids and filter changes.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 437
Love my F 150 EB but it has a 3.73 rear end and a Max tow package which includes sway control. This combination allows 11,300# towing with a Weight distribution Hitch. Love this truck. I would recommend the 3.73 over the 3.55 rear end.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
Don't Camp Enough
 
DSMURPHY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Except the Toyota rarely requires anything other than routine oil, fluids and filter changes.
x2
On my second Tundra.
__________________
'2016 Rockwood 8288WSA
'2016 F-350

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 893
There's a reason the F150 always finishes 1st or 2nd and Toyota finishes either last second to last in all towing and truck comparisons.
Just Google 1/2 ton shootouts or towing comparisons. While the Tundra may be a good truck it just doesn't have the same goods as an F150. Last I read it doesn't even have tow mirrors or a built in tow brake.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by djeirlessr View Post
Technically the Tundra is 1/2 ton but is designed and built as a 3/4 ton.


That statement is absurd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ecoboost, tundra

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.


×