Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
When I hear all the anti-EV "noise" I do just like I do when the radio starts making too much noise. I change station or turn it off.
It's not so much anti EV it's fact that they are no better at stopping the carbon or other pollutants in the air then a oil burner . From Battery material mining all the way through assembly and charging . in fact in some ways they are worse ! It's more a gimmick and corporations lining their pockets .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:16 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It's not so much anti EV it's fact that they are no better at stopping the carbon or other pollutants in the air then a oil burner . From Battery material mining all the way through assembly and charging . in fact in some ways they are worse ! It's more a gimmick and corporations lining their pockets .
I own a Volt and for me it's certainly reduced my need for gasoline. I buy gas once per year because the onboard computer forces the ICE to run and use enough gas to keep product in tank from getting stale.

It makes more sense for me to use about $1.80 worth of electricity for my daily running around than to fire up my TV which used to cost me around $400 per month in gas just running around town.

I'm with Chris when it comes to the "pollutants" argument. Central generation of electricity where pollution can be better managed than having all the individual carbon based fuel burning spread the length of our highways as well as packed together on city streets.

As for the dreaded "Lithium Batteries", steps have already been taken to keep them out of the landfills and their components recycled.
\
Also remember that "oil burners" create a rather large waste stream besides just fuel. How many gallons of crankcase oil in the average engine. often with twice that in a diesel? How about the Lead/Acid batteries that many want to hold on with an average lifetime of 4 years vs Lithium which averages three times that?

FWIW, it's not necessarily "Corporations" that are pushing EV's but rather the activists using their political clout. Corporations are merely stepping in to fill the need created by the environmental movement.

An added note: While EV's may not make sense (yet) for towing a trailer more than 100 miles, they really make a lot of sense in packed urban areas. One thing I noticed early on with my Volt while in heavy traffic was the lack of engine heat when traffic was stalled or extremely slow. A far cry from sitting there with a gas (or diesel) burning engine continually generating heat while not going anywhere.

Who knows how much cooler our jam packed city streets and freeways would be if less heat was generated by vehicles just standing in traffic??

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I own a Volt and for me it's certainly reduced my need for gasoline. I buy gas once per year because the onboard computer forces the ICE to run and use enough gas to keep product in tank from getting stale.

It makes more sense for me to use about $1.80 worth of electricity for my daily running around than to fire up my TV which used to cost me around $400 per month in gas just running around town.

I'm with Chris when it comes to the "pollutants" argument. Central generation of electricity where pollution can be better managed than having all the individual carbon based fuel burning spread the length of our highways as well as packed together on city streets.

As for the dreaded "Lithium Batteries", steps have already been taken to keep them out of the landfills and their components recycled.
\
Also remember that "oil burners" create a rather large waste stream besides just fuel. How many gallons of crankcase oil in the average engine. often with twice that in a diesel? How about the Lead/Acid batteries that many want to hold on with an average lifetime of 4 years vs Lithium which averages three times that?

FWIW, it's not necessarily "Corporations" that are pushing EV's but rather the activists using their political clout. Corporations are merely stepping in to fill the need created by the environmental movement.

An added note: While EV's may not make sense (yet) for towing a trailer more than 100 miles, they really make a lot of sense in packed urban areas. One thing I noticed early on with my Volt while in heavy traffic was the lack of engine heat when traffic was stalled or extremely slow. A far cry from sitting there with a gas (or diesel) burning engine continually generating heat while not going anywhere.

Who knows how much cooler our jam packed city streets and freeways would be if less heat was generated by vehicles just standing in traffic??
Not debating the use of EV ! hybrids have a better place in the game then full on EV. Oil is recycled that comes from oil changes so mute point there . Lead acid batteries can also be recycled . Lithium not as of yet and the steps taken are clearly to prop up fake arguments for EV. The carbon output of a gas engine over it's life span is no greater and less then the carbon used for EV's along with the extra power production . No wonder Coal is on the rise Again .
I'm all for EV and around town great they have a place , hybrids great for over the road .As far as waste streams of pollutants across the country lets just keep it to the very poor countries that happen to have the rare earth materials to create your EV and to the Cities that need to ramp up coal used to keep the grids going .Lets not forget all the waste from wind and solar . You can wish for how much cooler our jam packed city streets will be and maybe in 20 or so yrs we will see that marvelous utopia . Right now we have a ways to go and EV's pollute more then oil .As far As activists pushing their agenda there in lays a big problem when the loud few control the majorities . To bad they don't have a clue when it comes to oil and EV's . So your opinions of cooler streets and less streaming waste along our highways is great and someday may come true we will both be gone a long time before that happens . this EV push is nothing more then political at this point and time and we need to keep advance the tech but we are a very long way off ...
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #124

In the summer of 2019 Ford aired a commercial of a Electric F150 pulling a Train. Many on this and the Keystone Forum stumbled all over themselves criticizing Ford for even attempting such a feat. It had to be fake news. Now, 3 years later, the Ford Lightning pickup is sold out through 2023, by reservation only and restricted resale terms. They can't make enough of them, go figure. My biggest finincial mistake of 2021 was not pressing the send button for the reservation form I had filled out on opening day.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #125
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
In the summer of 2019 Ford aired a commercial of a Electric F150 pulling a Train. Many on this and the Keystone Forum stumbled all over themselves criticizing Ford for even attempting such a feat. It had to be fake news. Now, 3 years later, the Ford Lightning pickup is sold out through 2023, by reservation only and restricted resale terms. They can't make enough of them, go figure. My biggest finincial mistake of 2021 was not pressing the send button for the reservation form I had filled out on opening day.

That truck you're crying about not reserving can tow a decent trailer less than 100 miles before needing a charge.
So if you camp less than 50 miles from home you're golden!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #126

Ford Lightning Towing Test Shows Serious Problems

...The whole point was to see which would happen first: the Sierra runs out of fuel or the Lightning’s batteries go dead. Now, we’ve known far too many EV enthusiasts who get all smug about range anxiety and how people need to just calm down because nobody needs the ranges they think they do. Well, that’s true if you only drive in the city and mostly commute. However, there are people who go out on the open road, hauling trailers in the wide open Western US where distances between cities often exceeds what your electric car can do on a single charge.

But Ford has been boasting about how with the larger chassis in the F-150 Lightning, it has that much more juice so you can really go out there and not have to worry about running the battery dry. Well, The Fast Lane Truck debunked that claim, at least when towing a trailer is involved. The Ford truck didn’t make it the 282 miles the onboard computer estimated, a figure which was adjusted to 160 miles once the driver provided the trailer specs. The plan was to go to a charging station 147 miles away, but as the batteries depleted more rapidly than expected, a destination 45 miles closer was chosen. However, the Lightning couldn’t even make it the 102 miles pulling the trailer, so the driver had to turn around and head back to a nearer charging station, arriving with 9 percent charge left....

https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...g-towing-test/
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post

...The whole point was to see which would happen first: the Sierra runs out of fuel or the Lightning’s batteries go dead. Now, we’ve known far too many EV enthusiasts who get all smug about range anxiety and how people need to just calm down because nobody needs the ranges they think they do. Well, that’s true if you only drive in the city and mostly commute. However, there are people who go out on the open road, hauling trailers in the wide open Western US where distances between cities often exceeds what your electric car can do on a single charge.

But Ford has been boasting about how with the larger chassis in the F-150 Lightning, it has that much more juice so you can really go out there and not have to worry about running the battery dry. Well, The Fast Lane Truck debunked that claim, at least when towing a trailer is involved. The Ford truck didn’t make it the 282 miles the onboard computer estimated, a figure which was adjusted to 160 miles once the driver provided the trailer specs. The plan was to go to a charging station 147 miles away, but as the batteries depleted more rapidly than expected, a destination 45 miles closer was chosen. However, the Lightning couldn’t even make it the 102 miles pulling the trailer, so the driver had to turn around and head back to a nearer charging station, arriving with 9 percent charge left....

https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...g-towing-test/
I read this article yesterday and have been discussing with friends and family. The root of the problem is energy storage. Simple as that. Refined petroleum products (gas, diesel, jet fuel, etc.) store energy compactly and easily. A tank is a lot cheaper to make than a big fancy battery. We can haul these products around to distribution centers cheaply and easily. We can put it in a jug and walk it down the road like a jug of milk. Enough electricity to do the same energy is a lot harder to carry.

Electric motors are powerful and efficient. The railroads moved to them decades ago whether powered by fixed lines or onboard diesel generators. If we solve the storage/distribution issue, electric motors will become prominent and in the long run perhaps cleaner. Perhaps we will see fixed line stretches on roads where we can charge/use electricity in cars and trucks? This already exists for buses in some cities. Obviously it can't and shouldn't work everywhere. Just too expensive, but could help some circumstances.

I just took a 1300 mile trip hauling my trailer. I definitely would not want to stop 13 times to charge and will not consider an electric truck until that is is solved.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #128

I've shared the same perspective (which is reflected in my post) and every single word could not be truer.

It's only 13min in length, who knows someone might just be enlightened by the facts rather than the movement of EV.

Tags
electric, tow, towing, truck