Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Colorado/Florida
Posts: 1,801
Electric Truck Tow Vehicle

Gas vs Diesel? Maybe sooner rather than later we'll be adding "Electric" to the discussion. This is a concept truck, but the idea is tantalizing!

__________________

__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,624
Their claims and specs remind me of the mid-80's into the 90's where software companies would announce a nice new piece of software that would be available at some later date. They would give you specs and glowing reports of how it worked, yet the delivery date was months if not a year or more down the road. When the software actually was delivered it did only some of what was advertised, cost more than estimated and it was delayed even months longer then the promised available date. We used to call it VAPORWARE... announced yet not deliverable. Announcement was purely to protect some amount of market share.

Personally I would want to see something a little more concrete before getting excited.
__________________

__________________
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough. Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 300
This is looking more and more like the future. Not near future but the future. There is a reason why trains are electric based. Those freight trains use diesel engines to generate electricity that run motors that actually turn the wheel. There is massive torque in electric motors.

The problem is recharging the batteries. This company claims a full recharge in 15 minutes, which is great, but in reading their details they have attained this only in smaller batteries and assume that it will scale up. Also, after doing some reading, it is the "fast" chargers that are shortening the life of the lithium ion batteries in your smart devices. Even Tesla has said that regularly using fast chargers shortens the lifespan of their batteries.

Maybe if you only use the fast chargers while out on the road it won't be so bad. It is looking like electric is definitely in the future, especially once battery and charging technology improves.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 909
18 wheelers are electric now
moose074 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Colorado/Florida
Posts: 1,801
Its just a matter of time before battery technology becomes feasable for this application, and hopefully sooner than we might otherwise guess. Just think - no more 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton; gas vs diesel; and no more oil threads...

Still need tires though... lol
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 357
I haven't heard of an 18 wheeler that is a viable electric vehicle!
__________________
2018 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
I haven't heard of an 18 wheeler that is a viable electric vehicle!
While not in production yet, Tesla has several prototypes actually running around currently. Just Google electric semi.

I would love an electric truck to haul my RV, but don't think they will be affordable for folks like myself in my lifetime.....
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
jd50i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryville, Tn.
Posts: 594
https://www.tesla.com/semi
__________________
2016 F150 XLT 4X4 SCREW 5.0

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Its just a matter of time before battery technology becomes feasable for this application, and hopefully sooner than we might otherwise guess. Just think - no more 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton; gas vs diesel; and no more oil threads...

Still need tires though... lol
Not any time soon. Take a look at the third sentence of Post# 3. 80 years ago we had submarines that were electric powered, but it still took a massive internal combustion engine running on bunker fuel to charge up the batteries. There is no well to draw electricity from. It has to be generated. The current power grids in the U.S. are antiquated and we haven't built any new transmission lines in the past 40 years. You will continue to see your Volts, Prius', Leafs and Teslas out on the road, but the wholesale conversion from fossil fuels to electric powered vehicles is a long way down the road.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 135
Class 8 trucks are currently in the testing stage and are being mostly used for delivery applications and around certain ports where air pollution is a problem. Electric trucks are still in their infancy & as soon as their range is increased they will become more common.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Trucks.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	194198  
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
Old Engineer
 
FleckDreher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 214
Sceptical Engineer

At least if you are able drive it and your tow 300 miles you will have your TT available to sleep in for a couple of days while it re-charges at the currently non-existent charging facility.

A 15 minute fast re-charge is fantasy.

It takes a finite amount of energy (KWHrs) to haul a load down the road, and a finite amount of time to put the energy used back into the storage device (battery), regardless of the technology used.

This vehicle with these proposed specs will be available about the same time as the battery powered 747 aircraft.

How are they doing on that?
__________________
2019 Dynamax Isata 3 24RW
Smart Car Towed 4 Down
Quote: "When all else fails, read the manual!"
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleckDreher View Post
At least if you are able drive it and your tow 300 miles you will have your TT available to sleep in for a couple of days while it re-charges at the currently non-existent charging facility.

A 15 minute fast re-charge is fantasy.

It takes a finite amount of energy (KWHrs) to haul a load down the road, and a finite amount of time to put the energy used back into the storage device (battery), regardless of the technology used.

This vehicle with these proposed specs will be available about the same time as the battery powered 747 aircraft.

How are they doing on that?
Well... I'll agree with you on most points, but I don't share ALL of your cynicism.

I drive a Leaf, and you'd be shocked at how many charger are available these days. I don't use them since I charge at home, and it's my commuter car. BUT it seems like they're popping up everywhere.

Since Shell is installing chargers at their gas stations, it's going to be even more commonplace.

We just need to tackle that the TIME issue.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
but the wholesale conversion from fossil fuels to electric powered vehicles is a long way down the road.
I don't think 'wholesale' is going to happen, nor do I think it's even a goal (save for some idealists).

I own a Leaf, and it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. BUT quick turnover from fossil to electric just isn't going to happen. It's going to be adopted slowly but surely just like horse/buggy to the car. And along the way, the infrastructure will catch up just like paved roads and interstates caught up with how we travel today.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
adarklake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 171
I'll stick with my 2hp horse and covered wagon, thank you. The infrastructure just isn't there to support these new-fangled horseless carriages. They'll never take off.
__________________

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L V8 HEMI
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Well... I'll agree with you on most points, but I don't share ALL of your cynicism.

I drive a Leaf, and you'd be shocked at how many charger are available these days. I don't use them since I charge at home, and it's my commuter car. BUT it seems like they're popping up everywhere.

Since Shell is installing chargers at their gas stations, it's going to be even more commonplace.

We just need to tackle that the TIME issue.
And knowing SHELL, they probably will charge a premium per KwHr of charge time.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
And knowing SHELL, they probably will charge a premium per KwHr of charge time.
Oh of course they will, it's not going to be free. I can charge my car for $4 a MONTH for that much commuting and running around town. If I'm on a road trip, I'm happy to pay $15 for a full charge.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #17
RV There Yet?
 
IsleDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
I'll stick with my 2hp horse and covered wagon, thank you. The infrastructure just isn't there to support these new-fangled horseless carriages. They'll never take off.
Fun Fact: Electric cars have been around since the 1830's.

I would like to see a semi or pickup set up like a train. no batteries, just an electric traction motor and a generator.

they could probably get around the charging issue by having smaller banks of batteries that are each charged individually. sort of like how we balance lithium cells now. instead of trying to charge one HUGE pack with one power cable, lets say 4 cables, each charging its own pack within vehicle. if the packs are small enough, you could even have stations set up like you exchange propane tanks. just drive up, pop out a pack or two, pay for your swap, and be on your way. but that requires standardization in packs and cells.
__________________
2018 17RP
2009 Crew Cab King Ranch F150 "Goose"
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
just drive up, pop out a pack or two, pay for your swap, and be on your way. but that requires standardization in packs and cells.

Tesla actually demoed this several years ago. They envisioned a station where you could pulled up, a machine would unbolt the battery pack from under the car, and it would load a charged pack up into the car. Elon actually did a timed session onstage between that system and filling up with a tank of gas.

I don't know what happened to that...

EDIT: Found the video: https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #19
RV There Yet?
 
IsleDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
Tesla actually demoed this several years ago. They envisioned a station where you could pulled up, a machine would unbolt the battery pack from under the car, and it would load a charged pack up into the car. Elon actually did a timed session onstage between that system and filling up with a tank of gas.

I don't know what happened to that...

EDIT: Found the video: https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
Interesting! you learn something new everyday. good luck with that system though in canada or the midwest. we LOVE our road salt
__________________
2018 17RP
2009 Crew Cab King Ranch F150 "Goose"
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #20
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
Fun Fact: Electric cars have been around since the 1830's.

I would like to see a semi or pickup set up like a train. no batteries, just an electric traction motor and a generator.

they could probably get around the charging issue by having smaller banks of batteries that are each charged individually. sort of like how we balance lithium cells now. instead of trying to charge one HUGE pack with one power cable, lets say 4 cables, each charging its own pack within vehicle. if the packs are small enough, you could even have stations set up like you exchange propane tanks. just drive up, pop out a pack or two, pay for your swap, and be on your way. but that requires standardization in packs and cells.
Well diesel locos do have batteries. Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 24
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, tow vehicle, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.


×