Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
New radiator is a lot cheaper than a new truck 😀
I thought about that. Would you have a recommendation? I called flex-a-lite but they didn't want to sell one to me when they found out I was towing heavy. Said something about an aluminum radiator and towing doesn't mix. Most of the improved cooling capacity ones I found were aluminum so I kind of have up the search after that.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
new radiator, maybe more fins is probably something to look at with new water pump, hoses and belts while it is opened up. Maybe a tranny flush or at least service...

Although you will be over limits on the SUV, being a prudent driver will probably get you there.

You might also consider air bags AirLift brand https://www.airliftcompany.com/
for about $2-300 to help keep the Escalade level.
Yeah, I already blew one of my air shocks out. I might do that.

If you have a radiator you'd recommend I'd love to check it out.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Rember, the raditor also cools the trans. Had a Durango did the same as yours. New radiator fixed it. Rock Auto. Good folks. Good prices.
I do have a separate tranny cooler. Upgraded to the Tru-Cool 40k Maxx. That's not an issue now.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsarg View Post
We love our Ram 2500 crewcab with a Cummins Diesel works great pulling our 274 RK, even going up the hills of WV, Md and Pa it doesn’t even grunt. it will hold 6 adults but I wouldn’t want to go a long distance with that many adults in our truck. Good luck with your search.
Thanks man. I may look in that direction I don't know right now. Pretty much the only thing I can find in my price range is something in the early 2000's and a lot of those have over 200k. Not sure what to look for in a Diesel with that kind of mileage.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I thought about that. Would you have a recommendation? I called flex-a-lite but they didn't want to sell one to me when they found out I was towing heavy. Said something about an aluminum radiator and towing doesn't mix. Most of the improved cooling capacity ones I found were aluminum so I kind of have up the search after that.
I was thinking just a new replacement, usually getting hot on hills is a sign it's clogged internally

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
From you figures, you seem to be within the envelope for towing capacity. The overheating condition could be solved with a GM radiator/fan upgrade. What I would be concerned with is current tongue weight. Do you have a figure for that at your loaded weight?
It's around 750 probably closer to 800. I've got a 1000lb max with WD ( which I have).

I might do the radiator upgrade. Still thinking about that.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I just looked and the Suburban with the 8.1 is gone...
:-(

I might have to do some more looking then.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Does your Escalade have an oil cooler? That can make a difference with a transmission cooler also.

Do you downshift one gear? Shouldn't drive in overdrive.
No, I don't drive in OD and I use the tow/haul mode. There is an oil cooler as well as an upgraded tranny cooler. The tranny doesn't get hot at all any more. I'd get it up over 220 previously. Now when towing than max I've seen is about 160 and most of the time it's in the 140 range.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
In 2013, w/family of 5, TT weighing 7,500+ loaded, & budget of $15K, we could choose:
  • MUCH Older, capable 3/4 ton Excursions or Suburbans. Older engine/tranny tech=poor commuting MPG, rust & ongoing repairs more likely...
  • Older, 1/2 ton Nissan Armadas w/payload of 1,800, tow rating of 9,100 & GCVW of 15,000. Comfy 3 row seating but we'd have to pack light to stay within payload & GCVW & still need airbags/tranny cooler upgrades...
  • Newer rust-free 3/4 ton pickup w/less trim upgrades but newer engine/tranny tech, no rust, (stock) seating for 6, and possible warranty...

We chose #3, and found a 2 year-old Ram 2500 CC 2WD w/5.7 Hemi, 3,000 payload, seating for 6 & balance of Ram's 100K powertrain warranty for $14,000. I added a like-new fiberglass cap found on CL for $500 & we bring what we want camping, including 5 bikes, 3 scooters, 3 inflatable kayaks, 2 generators, etc. We can camp in more affordable places, like state parks, beaches, etc. because we bring-along all we need for fun, including enough firewood & generator gas for the week...

We've brought kids' friend along, seating 6, and it's not ideal... BUT, our parents/grandparents' generations packed the kids into station wagons & headed to Yellowstone. DW & I are both educators, so our kids DON'T argue in the TV. We can't live like that. Since they were toddlers we could take them anywhere & they behaved...

That said, a year later in 2014, my Hemi blew at 96,000 miles but Ram replaced it under their 100K powertrain warranty... 2015-2017 were trouble-free until this week when my rear differential stripped, so I'll be out about $1,500... This is a 3/4 ton HD truck & towing still wears stuff out faster than running-around unloaded all of the time... Imagine the repairs on an overloaded SUV...
I'm unable to find anything a couple of years old for that much. I wish I could.

Rust isn't a problem down here in Georgia as long as you buy one from down here so I may go that route I don't know.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #30

I tow about the same weight with my 2006 Expedition, just at 100k miles. Tow rating is above 9,000lbs. I've been very happy with it. HAVE been slowed to low 40mph on a few western mountain roads, but no overheating problem. Most people want to tell me I need a truck, but I really like the comfort of the SUV. Maybe some of the good advice posted here about solving the overheating problem will save you a lot of money. Good luck!
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
I was thinking just a new replacement, usually getting hot on hills is a sign it's clogged internally
Ok. Wouldn't the flush have improved it some? They said they had a machine that totally cleaned it out.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #32
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Ok. Wouldn't the flush have improved it some? They said they had a machine that totally cleaned it out.
Oh, didn't realize you'd had it flushed.
That should do it.

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuscg View Post
I tow about the same weight with my 2006 Expedition, just at 100k miles. Tow rating is above 9,000lbs. I've been very happy with it. HAVE been slowed to low 40mph on a few western mountain roads, but no overheating problem. Most people want to tell me I need a truck, but I really like the comfort of the SUV. Maybe some of the good advice posted here about solving the overheating problem will save you a lot of money. Good luck!
I think I'll look at it some more. You guys have convinced me that I may have an opportunity there.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #34

You can probably find a 3/4 ton F250 or 1 ton F350 diesel crew cab, 96 or 97 for that money. They are nearly indestructible, seat 6, your overheating days will be over. Try for mileage under 150k, but they usually will go 500k without engine problems.
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
You can probably find a 3/4 ton F250 or 1 ton F350 diesel crew cab, 96 or 97 for that money. They are nearly indestructible, seat 6, your overheating days will be over. Try for mileage under 150k, but they usually will go 500k without engine problems.
Have any insight on the 7.3 vs the 6.0 debate? I hear they're both good but the 6.0 need bullet-proofed. Not sure about the 7.3..
Old 11-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #36

With three leggy girls and a father with knee issues, even a big grew cab wouldn't work for us.

Click here for my thread: Big family, small budget...

We've only made one trip with our Armada so far, but we're very happy. Plenty of room, good power, specs in my sig. line. Limited payload. Haven't been able to get it to the scales yet.

Maybe look at the Nissan NV3500. Seats 12, google tells me 8690# towing, Payload 3,925#, but ugly. And big. We wouldn't have anywhere to park it.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOfTwo View Post
With three leggy girls and a father with knee issues, even a big grew cab wouldn't work for us.

Click here for my thread: Big family, small budget...

We've only made one trip with our Armada so far, but we're very happy. Plenty of room, good power, specs in my sig. line. Limited payload. Haven't been able to get it to the scales yet.

Maybe look at the Nissan NV3500. Seats 12, google tells me 8690# towing, Payload 3,925#, but ugly. And big. We wouldn't have anywhere to park it.
Interesting.. I've never looked at the Armada (or any Nissan for that matter). Looks like it has three rows.. could be a contender. I'll have to look at one maybe. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Well let's see you allready have an aluminum radiator with plastic caps so what sense does what they say makesense what would big rigs run al rads. You just have to make sure they have welded tanks or soldered tanks not the ones attached with epoxy
Flex-a-lite 57291: Direct Fit Aluminum Radiator & Electric Fan 1999-2012 GM Truck/SUV | JEGS
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Interesting.. I've never looked at the Armada (or any Nissan for that matter). Looks like it has three rows.. could be a contender. I'll have to look at one maybe. Thanks.
Then I'll add that it has three very comfortable rows. But not much cargo room, or, like I said, payload.

You have to get either the SL (Titanium in 2010) or Platinum, with Tow Package, to get the 9100# tow rating. Not the SV trim. And a lot of the ones we found online were mis-listed. Cloth seats is a sure give-away that it's an SV.

Also I've found that setting up the WDH on an Armada with it's auto-leveling airbags isn't straightforward.

The tow mirrors off the Titan truck bolt right up. Did another thread on that...

Just to give you a price point, I paid $15k for our 2010 with 92k on the clock, at a dealership here in Austin, TX. But I'm sure there are better deals out there. We liked the color...

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #40
2014 SunSeeker 2300

Quote:
Have any insight on the 7.3 vs the 6.0 debate? I hear they're both good but the 6.0 need bullet-proofed. Not sure about the 7.3..
When I started my company I tried the big three because it was a construction company and our trucks took a lot of abuse. Unless you plan on forking out an additional $7500 to make it bullit proof avoid the 6.0 like the plague. 7.3 is a good engine but our experience was injectors. Constantly having to put in injectors. GM seemed to just nickel and dime us with things that were never major but annoying due to down time. The Dodge diesels with the Cummins engine seemed to be bullit proof. All vehicles need maintenance and repairs so that imho is an equalizer on all of them. We never found the end of life on any of the Cummins. Friend of mine had 4 of them all with more the 750k miles on them. Had to replace seats and steering wheels on them because of wear and tear. If you look at 2001 to 2003 dodge pickups avoid those years. They tried to copy Jeep front ends and that wasn’t a good deal on heavy duty trucks. Our company’s experience was the Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks came back with the least cost to operate but that was in our company. We had repairs like a differential and transmission because of employee abuse. On the 5.9 and pulling heavy loads we overhauled most of the transmissions as they were the weak link in the truck. They were all rebuilt for around $3500 and the ones we did were built to stand up to the Cummins torque. We ended up with 26 Dodge trucks. The oldest was a 2003 and the newest was a 2009. 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins. No heavy duty truck will give you the ride of your Escalade but you won’t have to worry about overloading or overworking any of them, any of the big three.

Tags
trailer