RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
On interstates 35 and some 40 are a crime unless in a truck lane....
Not if you are going up a hill. Of course this is in California...our hills are like most people's mountains. Trucks are doing the same speeds and there aren't always truck lanes.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Does anyone know how much heat the GM 6.2 Aluminum block can take? There is no numbers on the gauge at all.. All I know is that it normally sits straight up after it’s at operating temp. WHen I say it’s getting hot on the hills it moves to the right. There are two large hash marks to the right and two to the left. It’s never gotten past the first large hash mark on the right. It has never gone past that. Would you think that is still as “Safe” zone?
Mine used to get to that same hash mark.....the truck will let you know if it gets too hot with a message on the DIC. When we broke the radiator hose, we had several lights flash and a message pop up that the rig was too hot.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #83

Expedition gets 9000 lbs max tow rating with the HD towing package. 7300 lbs puts you overloaded with Escalade at only 7800 lbs rating. Get the standard length (not the EL) and you save the weight difference for cargo capacity. Yep, they all get the same 9000 lbs rating, regardless of length, and regardless of axle ratio. But running near the limit, I would look for the 3.73 axle ratio.

Newer models will have the 3.5L V6-Ecoboost. But the older models with the 5.4L Triton V8 are proven workhorses. My dad has an '07 EL with 3.73 axles, and tows a trailer about that size. He hasn't traveled that far, but he says it's a great rig. Make sure you get '07 or newer, to get the 6-speed auto.

PS - I think the Navigator version gets 4.10 gearing, but all the bling might hurt you in cargo capacity. But it still gets 9000 rating. You'll have to decide if switching from a Caddy to a Lincoln is acceptable. :-)
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #84

Quote:
Wow. That makes me feel a little better. I was looking for something like this that actually said what the acceptable ranges are.

I do know that the closer you are to normal the better but this tells me short periods where it's out of normal is ok and hopefully I'm not doing any huge damage there. I think I may pick up an OBD scanner just to make sure I know what the numbers are. I'm probably not getting anywhere near 260.
I agree that you may not really have a heating problem. I'd expect the needle to register more heat when towing and even more on long hills.
A cheaper alternative to a Scangauge would be an OBDII scanner ($20 ish) that you use in conjunction with the free Torque app on your smartphone. That little scanner will give you a digital readout of your temp. Google up how to use these scanners; super easy.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #85

Thanks guys. I ordered a bluetooth OBD scanner and going to download the Torque app as soon as I get it.

Hauling the camper down to Florida next week and we'll let you know what happens :-)
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #86

Quote:
Thanks guys. I ordered a bluetooth OBD scanner and going to download the Torque app as soon as I get it.

Hauling the camper down to Florida next week and we'll let you know what happens :-)
Awesome; looking forward to hearing about your findings.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #87

Quote:
I'm definitely not flooring it.

Most of the time I tow in the 60's and drop quickly to the 50's and even 40's. But it seems to be a real problem keeping the engine temps down.

Sometimes I think the RPM'S help cool it down the next time it seems that it just contributes to the problem. I basically drive with the temp guage in mind and will watch it like a hawk. If it starts climbing I start to slow down.

The long gradual hills seem to be worse than the short steep ones. It always recovers quickly going down the backside.
What about changing the axle ratio?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
What about changing the axle ratio?
I thought about that.. I would think that would be really expensive though. It's an AWD Escalade so I'd be looking at both front and rear.

I didn't think that was something a shade tree mechanic like myself could do.. don't you need large presses and specialized equipment to do that?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #89

Ok folks.. here's the update I promised on our trip.

Day 1 from Georgia to Florida it went great. Temps outside were in the 60's and dropped to the low 50's by the time we got to our destination just south of Gainesville. I was using the torque app and the OBDLink MX I purchased from Amazon. I noticed the temps climbing a bit but still under 210 which I would think was fine. Fuel economy was decent and I think I just went through 2 tanks (6-hour drive) so probably around 10 MPG.

It's on the second day that things went goofy. Temps outside were in the low 60's climbing into the mid to upper 70's later in the afternoon. That morning I noticed with the first 20 miles the engine already heating up. The needle on the dash also started to climb (the day previous it was standing at normal position the whole day (even when Torque said it was 210). When I noticed this, I opened the app and it wouldn't connect to the OBDLink MX. So, I opened the OBDLINK app instead of Torque. It did connect after a couple of attempts. However, what I immediately noticed was that the temps were in the 230 range approaching 240 at times. I restarted my phone and pulled out the OBDLINK MX adapter for a few minutes then plugged it back in and reconnected using torque again. This time the temps were reading in the 210 range even though the dash was still saying that I was slightly over normal (the day before it had said it was normal at that temp). However, I was shocked to see that the OBDLINK software still said I was in the upper 230's. So, there was at least a 20-25 degree difference between the two.

What would cause that? Is it possible there are two engine temp sensors and they read from different ones?

Also, the second day fuel economy went to crap and the software was telling me I was in the 4-6 MPG range the entire day (3.5 hour drive) and I went through 2 tanks of gas.

On the way home it was the reverse experience with engine temps. I really had to watch things and at times had to drop to the low 50's to keep the temps down. When I got to Georgia it was cooler after that and engine temps were no longer an issue. However, fuel mileage is still crap I was probably around 5MPG for most of the trip. I didn't notice any improvement with that in the cooler weather either.

Also, yesterday it popped up a trouble code for something with the engine. It was really vague and said something about a power train communication failure. I reset it and it hasn't come back yet.

Thoughts on this? Thank you fir your assistance here.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #90

driving into the wind makes a big difference... makes the TV work much harder

driving with a little tail wind will make your MPG much better...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #91

Quote:
I thought about that.. I would think that would be really expensive though. It's an AWD Escalade so I'd be looking at both front and rear.

I didn't think that was something a shade tree mechanic like myself could do.. don't you need large presses and specialized equipment to do that?
What's your current axle ratio?

Also, our neighbor just bought a Ford Expedition EL with 3.73, it's rated to tow way more than my suburban that I had and is just as roomy. I went to a 2500 diesel and will never look back, but I also hate it once a month at payment time.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #92

Wind would make that much of a difference?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #93

Quote:
When I towed my trailer with my Suburban, a head wind would drop me to 3-5 mpg. I could literally see the gas gauge moving. With the 2500 Diesel, I don't notice it nearly as much and is one of the major reasons I went diesel. We travel alot of open, windy roads in the west and the Suburban just couldn't handle the trailer in wind.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #94

Quote:
What's your current axle ratio?

Also, our neighbor just bought a Ford Expedition EL with 3.73, it's rated to tow way more than my suburban that I had and is just as roomy. I went to a 2500 diesel and will never look back, but I also hate it once a month at payment time.
Looks like it should have the 3.42 at least thats what I was able to find online.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #95

Quote:
Looks like it should have the 3.42 at least thats what I was able to find online.
With the bigger engine and 3.42 I wouldn't think you should be experiencing the issues you are. There is a thread on towing with a suburban that you should look at.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...an-130382.html
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #96

Quote:
When I towed my trailer with my Suburban, a head wind would drop me to 3-5 mpg. I could literally see the gas gauge moving. With the 2500 Diesel, I don't notice it nearly as much and is one of the major reasons I went diesel. We travel alot of open, windy roads in the west and the Suburban just couldn't handle the trailer in wind.
I will admit that I probably had some wind in Florida but I don't think it was anything that I'd consider as high winds.. maybe 20mph or something. The first day the winds were calm so maybe that accounts for the difference there.

Back up north (where I'm from) 20mph is considered "a nice day" :-) warnings don't even go out till about 45mph. However, here in Georgia if the wind goes above 20 folks are freaking out about it.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #97

[QUOTE=dmdomokos;1679337]
Quote:
Here's the deal.

Here's what I have:
2008 Rockwood 8318SS 6700lbs dry, 7300 lbs w/gear
Current tow vehicle 2010 Escalade ESV, max tow cap 7800

Are you sure about the weight of your trailer? The new ones are 8348lbs dry.
Yes. I had it weighed. Empty it's at 6700lbs. Put the propane tanks, hitch, WD (w/sway), and some misc stuff and I'm just over 7300 on the scales.

I'm not sure why the new ones weigh so much more.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #98

[QUOTE=007matman;1679342]
Quote:
Yes. I had it weighed. Empty it's at 6700lbs. Put the propane tanks, hitch, WD (w/sway), and some misc stuff and I'm just over 7300 on the scales.

I'm not sure why the new ones weigh so much more.
I think there is something up with your Escalade. Seems odd based other peoples experience with your exact setup.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:
Hell Yea!
Frontal air resistance is the biggest factor on fuel mileage and towing temps, than weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #100

Start wsit a new rafiator anf clutch fan if it has one. That may have solved you problem without all the electronics.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer