RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Start wsit a new rafiator anf clutch fan if it has one. That may have solved you problem without all the electronics.
The radiator likely uses electric fans. Make sure they are both on when you engine is over 210.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The radiator likely uses electric fans. Make sure they are both on when you engine is over 210.
It is and they are. You can hear them kick on and run.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Portage wi
Posts: 668
Also if the shroud around the fan and radiator are damaged or not installed properly it will cause issues
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #104
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
Sounds like you may have something wrong with the ECM. It is having trouble, gave you a code even, gauge readings are off. I wouldn't trust whatever is giving you the 5mpg number, unless it is verfied at the pump, but that also may be showing it's not getting all the info it wants. When these things happen it may be going into a pre-programmed mode for engine management rather than adjusting to optimum based on sensor readings. So sometimes it runs right, and sometimes it gets wonky. The outside temp can play a part with expansion and contraction of things as well. I would google that code number along with your year and model and see if anyone else is having issues like that.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #105
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Sounds like you may have something wrong with the ECM. It is having trouble, gave you a code even, gauge readings are off. I wouldn't trust whatever is giving you the 5mpg number, unless it is verfied at the pump, but that also may be showing it's not getting all the info it wants. When these things happen it may be going into a pre-programmed mode for engine management rather than adjusting to optimum based on sensor readings. So sometimes it runs right, and sometimes it gets wonky. The outside temp can play a part with expansion and contraction of things as well. I would google that code number along with your year and model and see if anyone else is having issues like that.
I'll do that. Thank you. :-)
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
Here is something I found on the codes you are saying and applies to the 2010 Escalade
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...43829-6448.pdf
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #107
Senior Member
 
Mainframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 563
Go on cars.com, you can search for specific autos,
Just broaden your search and find what you want, i buy all my cars that way.
__________________
2016 Shamrock 23WS
2018 F150 Ecoboost
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #108
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Thanks guys. It's in the shop today. Hopefully they find something. The Esky also has a lifter tap of some kind at cold start so they're looking at that as well.

Thinking maybe I should just get it fixed and go for a F-250/350 w/the 7.3 eventually. Hopefully, I can find one in decent condition on the cheap.

Never bought a vehicle with 200k already on it before. Growing up you'd sell before they hit 75k! Now it seems like folks are saying 200k is just broken in for a Diesel.

I'd like a Cummins but they're too expensive.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #109
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Thanks guys. It's in the shop today. Hopefully they find something. The Esky also has a lifter tap of some kind at cold start so they're looking at that as well.

Thinking maybe I should just get it fixed and go for a F-250/350 w/the 7.3 eventually. Hopefully, I can find one in decent condition on the cheap.

Never bought a vehicle with 200k already on it before. Growing up you'd sell before they hit 75k! Now it seems like folks are saying 200k is just broken in for a Diesel.

I'd like a Cummins but they're too expensive.
You're gonna pay a hefty premium for a 7.3L in good shape(of course, this depends on your definition of "good"). You'll see 100 ragged out and/or heavily modded and abused ones for every 1 in good condition. And those people tend to know what they've got and price it accordingly.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #110
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Yeah.. I know. I do have plenty of time though so hopefully something pops up.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
I paid $13,000 for my 2004 Cummins with 275k on it. That was sight unseen with a 5 day warranty from an auction 3 hours away. That's for a 4 door, 4wd, 6 speed manual. It isn't perfect, but it's done a couple hard trips without a problem. I think it may be needing injectors soon which are stupid expensive ($4000+), it may be something less expensive and right now it still works fine so I'm letting that go for now. I did see a 7.3 Ford Excursion with a little over 200K for $9000 before I bought the Cummins. It was all stock and original and in good condition. I kind of wish I would have bought that just for the increased passenger room. A 4 door dodge my years has a back seat not ideal for adults and 6 people in it makes it impossible to shift unless you have a skinny butt kid out of carseats to sit middle front. Too bad GM doesn't do Duramax Suburbans. The 2018 Expedition looks pretty good but will be pricy until they come down in the used market. If anything like the last ones, they get lose the value pretty fast.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #112
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I paid $13,000 for my 2004 Cummins with 275k on it. That was sight unseen with a 5 day warranty from an auction 3 hours away. That's for a 4 door, 4wd, 6 speed manual. It isn't perfect, but it's done a couple hard trips without a problem. I think it may be needing injectors soon which are stupid expensive ($4000+), it may be something less expensive and right now it still works fine so I'm letting that go for now. I did see a 7.3 Ford Excursion with a little over 200K for $9000 before I bought the Cummins. It was all stock and original and in good condition. I kind of wish I would have bought that just for the increased passenger room. A 4 door dodge my years has a back seat not ideal for adults and 6 people in it makes it impossible to shift unless you have a skinny butt kid out of carseats to sit middle front. Too bad GM doesn't do Duramax Suburbans. The 2018 Expedition looks pretty good but will be pricy until they come down in the used market. If anything like the last ones, they get lose the value pretty fast.
Your Dodge.. is that the crew cab or the extended cab? I've never sat in one of those before.

We have an 7.3 Excursion here for sale locally w/200k @ just under 10k. The only thing I'd worry about with that is bikes.. I have an Ultra-Lite trailer and they say not to put them on the back. The bed would be prefect for that purpose. The truck looks really clean and the paint is great. I may have to look into that one a little more.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:05 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Thanks guys. It's in the shop today. Hopefully they find something. The Esky also has a lifter tap of some kind at cold start so they're looking at that as well.

Thinking maybe I should just get it fixed and go for a F-250/350 w/the 7.3 eventually. Hopefully, I can find one in decent condition on the cheap.

Never bought a vehicle with 200k already on it before. Growing up you'd sell before they hit 75k! Now it seems like folks are saying 200k is just broken in for a Diesel.

I'd like a Cummins but they're too expensive.
That sucks you're not able to make do with what you have. The GM's are notorious for ticking/knocking at startup so hopefully it's nothing serious.

I see you were looking at Fords, the 7.3 is pretty robust. The 6.0s we had in company trucks had no issues that I'm aware of, I really liked them actually, but they are known have head gasket and injector issues like you've researched it seems. The injector issue is usually caused by not changing oil often enough or not using correct oil. Stiction is the term they use for the injector issues. There is a band-aid product to help with it after it arises, but should help prevent it as well. Any diesel you get, I recommend staying away from DPF-only emissions. Once they added DEF and figured out their programming they became much more reliable and convenient for the average person. Don't let anyone convince you that you MUST drive a diesel for a minimum of 'X' amount of miles. That goes for any engine, but it's not always practical, and the diesels do just fine.

I love my Cummins, but kudos for sticking to your budget.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Your Dodge.. is that the crew cab or the extended cab? I've never sat in one of those before.

We have an 7.3 Excursion here for sale locally w/200k @ just under 10k. The only thing I'd worry about with that is bikes.. I have an Ultra-Lite trailer and they say not to put them on the back. The bed would be prefect for that purpose. The truck looks really clean and the paint is great. I may have to look into that one a little more.
A 2004 would only have a quad cab, a smaller crew cab, but still 4 forward opening doors.
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #115
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
A 2004 would only have a quad cab, a smaller crew cab, but still 4 forward opening doors.
I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out. I should probably go.and sit in a few of them to see which one would work for my crew.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #116
Senior Member
 
Lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I didn't realize there was a difference. Thanks for pointing that out. I should probably go.and sit in a few of them to see which one would work for my crew.
They got the full crew cab in the 2009/2010 redesign. You could get a mega cab from 2006 and on I think?
__________________
2007 Rockwood 2701SS
2017 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal SAP Laramie 6.7L
2014 Triumph Bonneville. NH Togas, tuned
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
The mega cab came out in 2005 (as a 2006). Mine is a quad cab, which is basically the same size as a Chevy extended cab but with 4 regular doors. In 2004 there were just regular cabs and quad cabs. As pointed out in 2009 they had the regular cab, the quad cab (like mine but a redesign) the crew cab (a real crew cab now) and still the huge mega cab. The Mega cabs from 2006-2007 before they added the emissions, especially with the 6 speed manual and Cummins are considered the holy grail of Dodge trucks, They will all be over $20,000 if not still $30,000. Personally if you could find a deal on a 2009 redesign I wouldn't drop it just because of the emissions. The 6.7 is an improvement otherwise (especially in the injector area), and with the 6.7 you also can get a good as the manual, 6 speed auto. I wish I had just waited a while longer for an under $20,000 6.7 2010 real crew cab to show up. Luckily my truck will still sell for $13,000 all day, in a day, with just a simple craigslist ad. It's pretty desirable around here. I may also keep it and put an emission removed 6.7 in place of the 5.9 but I still have to live with the small cab then. My dream is a 3.0 ecodiesel crew cab because it will tow my camper fine, and be much better day to day. They are all well into the $25,000 or more range. I will probably just keep my truck for 1-2 more years then should be good to go to find a under $20,000 ecodiesel crew.

PS the mega cab has 4 inches more rear legroom than a Maybach 62 limo!

Also the years on the Rams are kind of weird, Cummins put out their changes mid year and they went directly into the trucks. So you see a lot of things coming out in say 2005 but labeled a 2006. My truck is called a 2004.5 by the Cummins fans because it was a mid year change in some of the motor design and power ratings. In 2007 you could get a 5.9 early but the 6.7 and 6 speed auto showed up later in that same year, still a 2007, no other major differences except in the powertrain which were huge changes.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #118
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 265
I had a quad cab dodge I traded in on the Armada. We couldn't use it for long trips with the family of 5 (me, my wife, two pre-teen girls, and my elderly father,).


We've got a 14 y.o. exchange student living with us for the school year, and there's no way adding a 6th passenger in the front center would ever be a consideration.


YMMV
__________________
Family of six, camping in a Grey Wolf 26DBH LTD pushing a 2010 Armada via 10k/1k HaulMaster WDH stopped by a Prodigy P2 brake controller

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #119
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 22
I actually had to switch from my 2500 ram mega cab with the 5.9 Cummins to a van now that number 5 little one is on the way. I will attest to the Nissan NV3500 as that's what we got and thus far I'm very happy with it. Going to pick up our new TT this next week as we had to go away from a 5er with the van but having people comfy for the drive is going to make a big difference.
MadScientist_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #120
Senior Member
 
007matman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2,157
How does this sound?

2004 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke w/ EGR delete done (no studs) w/108k on the clock. Clean truck 2-tone white/gold paint that's in good condition. No turnover ball in the bed or rails either. Small amount of wander and the PS Box has some type of leak.. not sure if it's the box or not but would probably replace it due to the wandering issue.

I've looked at a lot of them. Most of which were really beat up. This one is in pretty good shape for being 14 yrs old. Some fading on the interior plastics and door trim but looks pretty normal.

$17.5k. would you buy it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180226_113931.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	163506Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180226_113734.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	163507Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180226_113856.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	163508Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180226_113558.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	163509
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.