Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #21

The fact you said you're getting codes for options you don't have almost seems like a module is acting up. ECM, BCM or TCM for example.

It may seem strange, but one of the first things I would do is have the battery load tested and check all the connections. As others have mentioned, I would try driving with and without tow haul mode activated, with or without trailer behind the truck and with/without trailer pigtail connected to help confirm what scenario you're seeing this in.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #22

We will have to agree to disagree. Worked for GM automotive electronics in the past. Also have special manufacturer enabled modes for the Autoenginuity software that I personally own. I had to have the Toyota mode enabled to pull codes for a Lexus transmission I was working on a couple years ago..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Of course there are! And any generic code reader will show them to you, contrary to your previous statement.

What the generic code readers won't do is emit text telling you what they mean. That's what the internet is for.

Just for grins, I typed the following text into Google
OBDII P1010
and got
Codes for DTC Error Code P1010
MakeDTC Error Code Meaning
*MitsubishiV.V.T.OCV
*ToyotaOCV for VVTL Circuit (Bank 1)

OBDII P1111 gives a couple
For Jaguar
P1111 JAGUAR Tech Notes
Usually, the P1111 code means that all systems are OK and that the diagnostic cycle is complete. For some Jaguar models P1111 = OnBoard Systems Tests Completed.

For Nissan
Faulty Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve Bank 1 Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve Bank 1 harness is open or shorted Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p1111_nissan.html

For Chevy
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) applies a voltage (about 5.0 volts) on the signal circuit to the sensor. ... When the intake air is warm, the sensor resistance is low, and the signal voltage is pulled down a greater amount. This causes the PCM to sense a low signal voltage (high temperature).
P1111 CHEVROLET Possible Causes
Faulty Intake Air Temperature Sensor
Intake Air Temperature Sensor harness is open or shorted
Intake Air Temperature Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

One good source for translating all the proprietary codes is https://www.autocodes.com
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #23

thanks for all the replies.

2 of the 3 codes have been P2098 and P1915.

This only happens when towing my trailer, and once the engine comes on, it doesn't happen again, even after I've pulled over and restarted to get out of limp mode. The engine stays on and all is good.

The only mechanics that have looked at my truck are at the Chrysler dealership.

I am going to the Ram forum and posting the issue there as suggested.

I've got the truck scheduled to go in on Monday for scheduled maintenance. I've told them to also look for stored code and that truck was in limp mode. I've asked them to check for transmission issues as well. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #24

Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
thanks for all the replies.

2 of the 3 codes have been P2098 and P1915.

This only happens when towing my trailer, and once the engine comes on, it doesn't happen again, even after I've pulled over and restarted to get out of limp mode. The engine stays on and all is good.

The only mechanics that have looked at my truck are at the Chrysler dealership.

I am going to the Ram forum and posting the issue there as suggested.

I've got the truck scheduled to go in on Monday for scheduled maintenance. I've told them to also look for stored code and that truck was in limp mode. I've asked them to check for transmission issues as well. Fingers crossed.
What the P2098 code means?
P2098 is an OBD-II generic code for the engine control module (ECM) detecting the post catalyst O2 sensor fuel trim is testing too lean on a two trip minimum to set the code.

What causes the P2098 code?
The ECM is detecting the pre catalyst O2 sensor not working correctly and then monitors the post catalyst O2 sensor to see if the problem correlates to the pre catalyst O2 sensor on a two trip requirement.

--The exhaust may have a leak or engine problem before the pre catalyst sensor.

--The engine may have mechanical or fuel related issues causing the code.

--The O2 sensor wiring or sensor is the failure.

P1915 Reverse Switch Circuit Malfunction

RiverBC, perhaps you will be able to tell us what the service technician says these mean, to let us know how reliable the internet sources are.

Babcock, you wrote that you had to enable Toyota-mode while working on a Lexus. That makes sense to me, since Lexus is a division of Toyota. I would be surprised if you didn't have to enable it. They likely share powertrain components.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
What the P2098 code means?
P2098 is an OBD-II generic code for the engine control module (ECM) detecting the post catalyst O2 sensor fuel trim is testing too lean on a two trip minimum to set the code.

What causes the P2098 code?
The ECM is detecting the pre catalyst O2 sensor not working correctly and then monitors the post catalyst O2 sensor to see if the problem correlates to the pre catalyst O2 sensor on a two trip requirement.

--The exhaust may have a leak or engine problem before the pre catalyst sensor.

--The engine may have mechanical or fuel related issues causing the code.

--The O2 sensor wiring or sensor is the failure.

P1915 Reverse Switch Circuit Malfunction

RiverBC, perhaps you will be able to tell us what the service technician says these mean, to let us know how reliable the internet sources are.

Babcock, you wrote that you had to enable Toyota-mode while working on a Lexus. That makes sense to me, since Lexus is a division of Toyota. I would be surprised if you didn't have to enable it. They likely share powertrain components.
here is what the mechanic put on the service order.

scna for codes p1915 tcm remote start inhibited by tcm
stored. vehicle not equipped with remote start suspect
parking paul was not engaged when vehicle started
possible e-brake was engaged before put into park not
allowing park solenoid to fully release cleared code cust
to monitor

and

P2098 Downstream fuel trim system 2 lean

recommend replacement of O2 sensor to correct issue
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #26

In partial agreement

Quote:
here is what the mechanic put on the service order.

scna for codes p1915 tcm remote start inhibited by tcm
stored. vehicle not equipped with remote start suspect
parking paul was not engaged when vehicle started
possible e-brake was engaged before put into park not
allowing park solenoid to fully release cleared code cust
to monitor

and

P2098 Downstream fuel trim system 2 lean

recommend replacement of O2 sensor to correct issue
We're in agreement on the P2098.

I found a couple of different explanations for the P1915. I rejected one which was something like "Inconsistent signals from the transmission." That sort of relates to the mechanic's finding of inconsistent signals from the TCM which is the Transmission Control Module.

Let us know whether they replace the downstream O2 sensor and if it makes a difference.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #27

Quote:
We're in agreement on the P2098.

I found a couple of different explanations for the P1915. I rejected one which was something like "Inconsistent signals from the transmission." That sort of relates to the mechanic's finding of inconsistent signals from the TCM which is the Transmission Control Module.

Let us know whether they replace the downstream O2 sensor and if it makes a difference.

O2 sensor was replaced last year.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #28

How many of your 4 O2 sensors were replaced?
Quote:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Mind came on to going to Gettysburg and on the way back it went off hasn't came on since took two more trips.I was told towing the camper the Tran got over heated.I did pull a lot of long hills and it was hot..so until it comes back on can't have it check
A note on tranny overheating.

My current truck and previous tow vehicle both had a tendency for transmissions to overheat. Not excessively to the point the computer took action but definitely HOT.

I started paying close attention to when this occured and of course it was when going up hills or into heavy headwinds. When my speed low enough that my converter didn't lock up, tranny heated. If I went a few MPH faster and watched RPM drop about 500 RPM, tranny stayed in normal range.

If going up a hill or wind was too strong for me to get speed high enough to see torque converter lockup (all this while towing of course), I now just drop one gear and the temp gauge drops like a stone (in a relative sense).

Of course every truck will have it's own peculiarities but this is what I've discovered on two of mine. FWIW, I sure miss my old 4WD Dodge Power Wagon that allowed me to stir the gears manually. Never had any tranny overheat problems.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
How many of your 4 O2 sensors were replaced?
just one. Bank 2 Sensor 1.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #31

Downstream? Upstream?

Quote:
That's interesting. The description for this message is something like "This code is set when the downstream O2 sensor disagrees with the upstream O2 sensor." where upstream and downstream refer to position before and after the catalytic converter.

The way the message is formed would lead someone to replace the downstream O2 sensor, but the fault could really have been either the upstream or downstream sensor.

On many vehicles the O2 sensor messages tell you whether it's left or right cylinder bank. I don't believe this message does.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #32

This is what came up this time.

Scanned vehicle for codes and found P0369-camshaft position sensor intermittent-bank 1 sensor 2 code stored, followed diagnostic tree, will require camshaft (CMP) bank 1 sensor 2 replacement and re-check.

Replaced bank 1, cam sensor
Relearned cam crank, road tested ok
Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #33

Thanks

Quote:
This is what came up this time.

Scanned vehicle for codes and found P0369-camshaft position sensor intermittent-bank 1 sensor 2 code stored, followed diagnostic tree, will require camshaft (CMP) bank 1 sensor 2 replacement and re-check.

Replaced bank 1, cam sensor
Relearned cam crank, road tested ok
Thanks for letting us know.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #34

You bought a Dodge

The problem is that you bought a Dodge.
sv-294 camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #35

I have a 2011 1500 w/5.7 engine. It did pretty much the same thing last time I towed. 1st time it happened. Engine light came on, shift point was affected, and my remote start wasn't working. After a couple days in my pole barn I disconnected the battery terminals, touched the negative and positive ends together and after about 5 minutes hooked it back to the battery. I guess the computer needed a reboot because no more engine light and my remote start works fine. Just saying....
bgarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #36

Check your fuel tank. I remember an instance when I was talking with a mechanic that I know who works at Sumter Tire in Wildwood, Fl., and he was saying that he had a customer with a problem that sounds like yours. It turned out that someone had dropped a ball bearing into the fuel tank and it would roll into position to partially block the fuel line when the fellow was going uphill. He said it was the hardest thing that he ever had to diagnose and only solved the problem when he was told to check it by a much older mechanic.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #37

Experiment

There are many reasons what could trigger “limp home mode” if that is what is happening. Misfire, transmission shift errors, low voltage levels, etc.
Since it only does it with the trailer, if you can safely do so, disconnect the electrical connections to the trailer and see if the issue goes away. If it does, check your wiring circuits. It’s possible unintentional bleed of circuits could feed back into the TCM.
For instance. I worked on a vehicle that had a bad bulb filament in the trailer light. When the tail lights were on the brake light filament touched the tail light filament. The result was a TCM that thought the brake was being applied and the transmission failed to go into torque converter lock-up phase. It set a incorrect ratio code and brake switch on code.
The remote start thing is strange but I wouldn’t rule it out being triggered by something completely different, but still related, such as an anti theft module getting some sort of feedback, possibly due to trailer wiring issues. Just because your vehicle doesn’t have the option doesn’t mean the PCM doesn’t have the capability.
washboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #38

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask this question here for a while now. Not always, but quite often, when towing my Rpod 171 up a grade in tow mode, my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, goes clunk, the engine light comes on, I get kicked out of tow mode, and the truck becomes super sluggish. I have to pull over as soon as possible, turn my truck off, restart the truck, and go merrily on my way with no further issues other than the engine light is on. This only happens when I'm towing the trailer. I've had the truck into my repair shop a few times, and the mechanics say I'm getting various, engine codes, even for options that I don't have, like remote start. Mechanics say it's something in the trailer that is causing the error codes, triggering the engine light and knocking the truck out of tow mode. I have no idea how to begin to troubleshoot this. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?
I notice you say the mechanic says it’s something in the trl causing it. Maybe “not the safest thing to do “ but maybe try towing the trailer without your electric 7 blade plugged in to see if the same symptoms would return. You won’t have electric brakes or signals. Have someone follow as you safety vehicle. For signals and spacing. And since your pulling up hill braking could be monitored and reconnected for downhill runs. That might help you isolate electrical glitches!
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #39

Didn't he fix his problem in post #32?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Didn't he fix his problem in post #32?
It appears you are correct, I guess I should have read a bit further along.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, towing