Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #41

I have a 12 Ram 2500 and it threw 02 sensor codes and a few random codes. I would follow the instructions to test the sensors to see they were good, reset the light. Mine ended up needing a new battery and I was told the computer was very sensitive to voltage, it was 7 years old and that actually fixed a lot. After it only threw the o2 sensor code and after visiting the Ram forums I changed all 16 sparkplugs and replaced with oem. Get the short one piece sparkplug socket and extension built in, gap and dielectric grease on the top. My old plugs looked ok but changing them made a big difference.
2005 Subaru Outback

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #42

Get that tranny checked out!!

[QUOTE=Riverbc;2168212]I've been meaning to ask this question here for a while now. Not always, but quite often, when towing my Rpod 171 up a grade in tow mode, my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, goes clunk, the engine light comes on, I get kicked out of tow mode, and the truck becomes super sluggish. I have to pull over as soon as possible, turn my truck off, restart the truck, and go merrily on my way with no further issues other than the engine light is on. This only happens when I'm towing the trailer. I've had the truck into my repair shop a few times, and the mechanics say I'm getting various, engine codes, even for options that I don't have, like remote start. Mechanics say it's something in the trailer that is causing the error codes, triggering the engine light and knocking the truck out of tow mode. I have no idea how to begin to troubleshoot this. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?[/QUTE]
murrayman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #43

We have a dodge 1500 Ram and we started towing a rockwood roo 17 ft trailer with it. Had similar issues as your describing
And ended up with a dead tranny luckily we bought an extended warranty so it was covered
murrayman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #44

for my truck it happen not towing it would die and i would need to pull over and shut off for several minutes. But i was heading to Orono to bring my daughter back to college after christmas break. i just kept on. sometimes it would go for over an hour and be fine. long story short it was the throttle body. 2011 silverado 1500. under warranty
whj1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #45

Had same problem on a 2016 f250 diesel. Turned out when last serviced the mechanic when adding fuel additives the small white paper cap fell into the fuel tank and wasn’t caught. As fuel was used the cap would plug up the fuel filter in the tank. Causing it to go into limp mode and throw a code. Would stop wait few minutes and might go a few hours before it happen again. Ended up being towed to dealer. Service ended up removing tank found problem removed the cap no more issues.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #46

My 2004 Cummins with a manual did something similar occasionally. It would go into a mode where it only allowed idle or 15% throttle. Pull it over, turn it off and on, and it was fine again. It threw a code related to throttle position error (what they called APPS), a new sensor didn't fix the problem (which was stupid expensive on it's own). I never figured out exactly what it was, but I suspected old injectors were over fueling making the truck not understand why power wasn't matching throttle input. Other things like the super optimistic MPG reading also would be explained by injectors that were delivering considerably more fuel then the computer thought they were. I also had some black smoke, especially getting on it after just cruising for awhile. At $500 per injector for just parts, I could live with it.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, towing