Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #1

Equalizer Hitch Owners - Angle Set Bolt, Part II

I can't reply to the too-old original thread "Equalizer Hitch Owners " so this thread is a continuation - after reading the original, the E2 manual, and doing a few searches.

I have noticed my angle set bolt loosens after each tow, so re-tightened it per spec but added some blue loctite to see if that prevents it from backing out. My opinion is that the angle set bolt represents a design compromise, it works OK but needs constant attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
70 ft/lbs torque seems high? I was under the impression that the set bolt just keeps the washers tight till you torque down the two 5/8'bolts.
Actually, no. The hitch is designed so that at proper torque the two shank bolts tighten but do not lock the shank and hitch head in a fixed position but rather allow limited motion. the angle set bolt takes up the slack and 'fixes' the two pieces together. And, according to the spec, 1/4 to 1/2 turn past contact on that angle set bolt, not 70 ft/lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
If you tightened that set bolt before engaging the WD bars, that's the problem. Engaging the system will pulls up on the head with tremendous force.

When making adjustments, tighten that bolt to contact, just do it doesn't move while you work. Then after engaging the bars, tighten to contact, plus the 1/4-turn.
The manual states the bolt is tightened, at least initially, before the WD bars come into play. But you might be right on the pre-tow inspection and adjustment after hookup - the manual says to do adjustment "before each tow" but doesn't say after the bars. But, I'm going to follow your advice if I get further loosening. I'm hoping the loctite keeps the bolt in position with that 1/2 turn.
2019 Ford Expedition Max, payload ~ 1700

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
DES-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 PM   #2

In four years with the same Equal-i-zer hitch used on two different trucks and two different trailers. It was loose only once.

Just saying.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
In four years with the same Equal-i-zer hitch used on two different trucks and two different trailers. It was loose only once.

Just saying.
So, never needed adjustment per the manual?

Ours are opposite cases I guess. All I can think of is there is enough variance in a proper install to allow for this.

If any guru of E2 knows better, I'd like to know the cause, why some loosen and why others stay tight. Maybe it is minor adjustments with the tension bar mounts or...?

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
Old 08-14-2022, 08:15 AM   #4

WDH Adjustment

Our WDH uses shims to keep the head tilted down to the correct angle. The bolts to the receiver drop only serve as a pivot and as s tilt locking bolt to provide the correct height to keep the trailer level. Once adjusted to the correct height and with the correct shims for the required torque bar angel, nothing moves. Everything is torqued to recommended specs.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

I'll admit it's been years since I read the instructions! but as I recall:

No bolt has nothing to do with the hitch angle. Certainly nothing to set before every use.

As noted the Equalizer(tm) hitch uses washers to set the head angle. Ford receivers are loose tolerance so my hitch needs the maximum number of washers I can cram in there.

-- Chuck
Old 08-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #6

WDH Setup

According to the instructions on my WDH, there is a bolt labeled "Angle Set Bolt". This along with the spacing washers determine the angle of the Weight Distribution Head. There are two bolts that attach the Weight Distribution Head to the Square Shank. These two bolts are used to set the height of the head based on the height of the trailer hitch when level and the tow vehicle when level.

Once the WDH is set and adjusted for the tow vehicle and the trailer, no further adjustment is needed.

As to bolts getting loose, if torqued to the specifications, using the hardware correctly as supplied, such as the toothed washers and shims, nothing moves.

There is one especially good video by Reese that shows proper setup and adjustments.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
So, never needed adjustment per the manual?

Ours are opposite cases I guess. All I can think of is there is enough variance in a proper install to allow for this.

If any guru of E2 knows better, I'd like to know the cause, why some loosen and why others stay tight. Maybe it is minor adjustments with the tension bar mounts or...?
I do a visual inspection of course before and after hitching up. I look down at the angle set bolt before hitching and yank the entire hitch and look for play. I torque the bolts on the bars. They get loose. And as I mentioned the angle set bolt was loose only one time.

I am sure I am missing something. So far so good.

YMMV
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post

There is one especially good video by Reese that shows proper setup and adjustments.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I watched it and that's how I installed. My trailer is level and my loaded TV height is within an inch of the unloaded height. I think I'll confirm all the install measurements again and re-torque everything. I expect it's all spot-on but repeating is only way to track this down. If it looks OK and issue repeats maybe I'll replace the bolt under the assumption that it won't hold the torque.

FYI, that video:

https://youtu.be/Kgi2IOxtb4w

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7
Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES-1 View Post
I'm not sure I know exactly what is being discussed. With my E2 600/6000 WDH, I've changed the trailer once and the tow vehicle twice, necessitating changing the number of washers (and hitch height) to get the weight distribution I wanted.

But before I ever got to that point, the bolt on which the washers mount loosened 2 trips in a row, causing the weight distribution to change while towing - from some to none. The 1st time, I tightened the bolt. But that didn't hold through the 2nd trip. So I used Blue Loctite, and have not had any problems since.

Blue Loctite allowed me to undue the bolt and add/subtract washers as required with changing tow vehicles and trailer. I did not add fresh Loctite when retightening, the residue has been sufficient to keep the bolt from backing out.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame with E2 600/6000 WDH
2022 Hyundai Palisade
last trip: Charleston, SC
next trip: Charlotte, NC
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Blue Loctite allowed me to undue the bolt and add/subtract washers as required with changing tow vehicles and trailer. I did not add fresh Loctite when retightening, the residue has been sufficient to keep the bolt from backing out.
That's great feedback. My next step was exactly that, blue loctite. I have another 1,100 mile tow coming up in first part of September so we'll see how it fares.

Former - 2019 NOBO 19.7

Tags
equalizer, hitch