Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Equalizer Sway Bar Sockets seem loose

Users with Equalizer Sway Control Hitches, I would appreciate your help. We bought our TT new in April and the dealer installed a Equalizer Sway Control Hitch. Wrong. A trip back to the dealer and it was still wrong. Took it to Pat Rogers Hitches here in Marietta and the corrected the installation. Now on the Cat scales the weight is distributed correctly and the trailer is no longer afraid of semi's.

At first the sockets that the sway control bars were very stiff to rotate even though they were lubricated with white lithium as per instructions. Now after only 910 miles they are easily moved by finger pressure alone. Is this a cause for concern. I have examined the area of the surrounding casting and see no obvious cracks or distortion.

What do you think?
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

They should have a light lube and torqued to 50-60 ft pounds. I check mine with a torque wrench before every use and tighten to 60 ft lbs.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
They should have a light lube and torqued to 50-60 ft pounds. I check mine with a torque wrench before every use and tighten to 60 ft lbs.
Same here, but 55 ft lbs.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Identify the specific model of hitch you have and download the manual to see what the torque setting should be. Mine called for a minimum of 65 foot pounds of torque.

Regardless it seems obvious that they are too loose.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
X2, “every trip” and check tire pressure before every tow!
mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #6

There should be a sticker on one of the sockets that specifies the torque. Mine (for 1200/12000 Equal-i-zer) says minimum 60 ft-lbs. I always check them before every trip.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Can you run 3800 fps?

Quote:
+2 and Ditto's!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
Users with Equalizer Sway Control Hitches, I would appreciate your help. We bought our TT new in April and the dealer installed a Equalizer Sway Control Hitch. Wrong. A trip back to the dealer and it was still wrong. Took it to Pat Rogers Hitches here in Marietta and the corrected the installation. Now on the Cat scales the weight is distributed correctly and the trailer is no longer afraid of semi's.

At first the sockets that the sway control bars were very stiff to rotate even though they were lubricated with white lithium as per instructions. Now after only 910 miles they are easily moved by finger pressure alone. Is this a cause for concern. I have examined the area of the surrounding casting and see no obvious cracks or distortion.

What do you think?
Yes, retorque as per the manual and keep checking it occasionally.
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #9

Just throwing this out there, but often times when a hitch is installed at the point of trailer sale, the install is fine and dandy on that day. But then, over time, the new trailer owners load up with real-world stuff: tools, a generator, hoses, food, bedding, dog stuff, kid stuff, bikes, water...and that's just new stuff thrown into the truck bed!...but regardless, the hitch settings are now way off. It's all good, everyone goes there, but a new inductee to trailers needs to be ready to tweak real-life stuff as real-life loads change.

Load-up your rig again as you have evolved to nowadays, re-read & re-establish your hitch's manufacturer's settings, and go forth my friend with personal confidence that all is well.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
Canadian Member

I re-torque mine regularly but definitely not every trip. Most campgrounds are 2 hours or less from our home. After applying a bit of Equal-i-zer’s own lube on all the friction surfaces of the hitch head I swing the bars back and forth to distribute the lube and I can tell if they are getting too loose and need to be re-torqued with the torque wrench. Mine have never gotten so loose that I can move them with a finger.

As for setup, the dealers are not great at setting them up properly but even if they do a good job you need to redo the setup once you’ve loaded all you stuff on board. Learning how to do it yourself will make you a lot more comfortable.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

As for setup, the dealers are not great at setting them up properly but even if they do a good job you need to redo the setup once you’ve loaded all you stuff on board. Learning how to do it yourself will make you a lot more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Can't stress this enough. Our dealer setup on our E2 hitch with new TT last fall was fine. After loading up our gear (and increasing tongue weight from 600# to about #850) the front end felt soft (floaty?). Anyway, bought a 250ft/lbs torque wrench and I've adjusted the hitch twice now. The difference is night and day when you get it dialed in.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, sway