Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #1

equalizer vs andersen hitch

Ok so starting a new thread so as to not overtake another one. So my original question was.. So I have a question for those that own the equalizer hitch. While the tension bars arr in place are you able to fully release the latch for the hitch ball? I'm not saying to disconnect the hitch but simply pull the this ball release from underneath the hitch ball as if you were going to lift the trailer off the hitch ball and then re engage the hitch ball latch.

Which was answered by pgnadw I'm not sure I understand the question....

Why would you want to release the latch with the bars loaded? The bars are the last thing to install, and the first to remove. When the bars are loaded, the ball and latch are also under some load. You want the ball and tongue to stay attached while you raise the tongue and hitch (normally with the tongue jack) to install/remove the bars with no load on them.

The first try after arriving home from the dealer, I had to watch a couple of utube videos before I fully understood the bar installation/removal process, as I was new to WDH hitches.

just my experiences, yours may differ
Fred W"

So my theory is that both the andersen and equalizer hitch apply the same load to the release latch since neither one can be released when the wdh hitch "either one" is engaged. The reason I asked this question is that when adjusting the chains on the andersen hitch the tongue moved in the same direction any other wdh hitch would move. So based on that I think that disproves that the andersen hitch applies undue pressure on the release latch since any other wdh hitch , outside of a propride or hensley, would also produce the same type of force. Since the andersen is adjustable then the amount of pressure would differ just as different size wdh bars would on other wdh hitches. Agree or disagree? thoughts? Not here to debate how much weight it moves since there is no a clear answer on this yet.
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

I'll be hooking up on 10/6 for our last trip of the season so I'll try to unlatch the coupler after the bars are loaded and will post the results. I'll be surprised if the Equil-i-zer puts any rearward pressure on the coupler/ball since they apply all their force on the frame of the trailer and the attachment point on the hitch. If anything, lifting on the hitch would seem to pull the ball forward away from the latch. My mental picture is of a wheel barrow with the bars as the handles.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd advise against trying to release the latch with any WDH hooked up. I'm not an engineer, but I would think the WDH is placing upward force at the coupling. This upward force is what compensates the downward force of gravity on the coupling, and that allows the weights to transfer more fore/aft, depending on the amount of upward force generated.

Given enough tension, releasing the coupler could cause the coupling to jump upwards, provided it doesn't get stuck, and then who knows what kind of mess you might have as everything lands.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

good point, i would imagine it has to put some pressure on the latch since the latch goes partially under the ball, DON'T want anyone to get hurt, just a thought. my latch was tight and did not try and force it open on mine
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #5

I only own an Equalizer hitch so I cannot speak to the Anderson.

My understanding of the load forces is that the Equalizer hitch has a downward pressure onto the top of the ball. It does not assert pressure onto the latch which resides below the ball.

When you look at the design of the Equalizer. the tension bars slide into a square steel slot that holds the bars to the Hitch. The other end rests on the thick "L" brackets. As the trailer is lowered, the bars begin to assert pressure onto the L brackets pushing them down to the ground as the weight is being loaded onto the ball. As the "L" bracket is attached the A frame, the A frame is also going towards the ground which puts pressure on the top of the ball. This force is alleviated a bit as the Hitch side of the bars will begin to assert an upward force into the hitch as it binds opposite the "L" brackets and creates a firm plane. This plane is what accomplishes the goal of the WDH.

Remember. One has to match the WDH to the load and properly install the hitch so that everything is level and the forces are equalized. (no pun intended).

I am not an engineer, but this is my understanding.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

I'm not an engineer, but here's how I see it:

The Equalizer hitch uses an upward force on the bars to place forward force on the HITCH HEAD directly. There is still weight on the ball, meaning there is no upward force- at least not enough to overcome the full tongue weight- pulling against the latch, in other words attempting to pull the ball out of the coupler. Also, on the Equalizer, there is nothing allowing any rearward force to be applied- the bars move front to rear. With the Anderson, the load leveling force is applied THROUGH the trailer ball. You are applying tension basically pulling the trailer into the ball and the ball is the point where the forward force is being applied. This means whatever force is applied is directly seen by the coupler as well. The rotation when using the Anderson now takes place in the hitch head as opposed to the ball, meaning at least you aren't continually wearing down the coupler by rotating under all of that force.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch