Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Equalizer vs Andersen Hitch Which One ?

I have decided I am going to replace my old hitch setup that uses the friction sway control for either an Equalizer 1200 or Andersen setup. I have no issues with the old setup other than having to use a shank that is too long from a previous tow vehicle and having to remove the sway control when backing up so its time for a change.

My TV is a 2015 RAM 2500 Diesel and my TT is a Rockwood 2703 that loaded is around 7500lbs tongue weight is listed at 643 so I would guess at max loaded no more than 1000lbs or so which includes stuff I am carrying in the bed behind the rear axle. I am torn between which one to get I like the simplicity of the Andersen with 8 drop and its light weight and relative ease of setup. I like the Equalizer because I can get the 2.5 shank with the 6 drop down and tried and true design that gets good reviews I know its heavier and probably alittle tougher to get dialed in.

So I would appreciate any feedback both pros and cons of each setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shank.png
Views:	240
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	112674   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160318_153614.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	112675  

TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

You got two choices. One that is proven to work well even has 2.5 inch shank, or one proven to be hit or miss depending on rig. I don't think Andersen has the 2.5 shank. The slop you can have with receiver sleeve is enough that I would want it to be more solid

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

Cheapest is to cut the shank. We did that at the race shop. We needed a drop that was just a little more than the next size. We cut off the excess.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

I have yet to hear anyone say "the Equal-i-zer didn't work out for me." Ive heard quite a few people say the Anderson couldn't transfer enough weight to the front of their TV. So, while the lightweight of the Anderson is appealing, I'll stick with my Equal-i-zer. I've been using it for 4 years on two different campers and two different TV's. Zero complaints.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

I used an Equalizer for years and never a problem. Would still be using it if I did not have a 5er. I put a receiver lock through the hitch and never took it out. Easy to load/unload the tongue as long as it was high enough.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

equilizer

i have had the equalizer hitch for over 6 years and really like it. I don't get the sway I use to get with my other hitch. I have a Salem 831 SS and it pulls nicely with my Ford Expedition.
jpbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

I must agree Equalizer!
wzpsjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Im using an equalizer (1200) with a 2 1/2" shank - 8" Drop. Just set it up for the second time for the new truck and it really isnt difficult...just follow their directions, pretty strait forward!
Love the results on both trucks!
yes the hitch head/shank tis a tad heavy, but it is rock solid!!
I bought a Hitchgrip....the thing is well worth the money!!!!
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/item/hitchgrip.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #9

Andersen Experience

I've logged about 4300 miles towing a 2015 Wildwood 241QBXL (loaded wt about 5400lbs) with a 2012 F150, 5L, P275/65R18 GY Wrangler tires. I would say I'm near the practical max weight limit for the Andersen in terms of weight transfer. The trailer is fairly well behaved while towing, but well short of perfect. DW will not even try to tow it.

As you can read on this forum the problem of sway is a multi-faceted problem to solve. So without starting a new thread I'll close by saying I installed a Hensley Arrow and the towing experience is so unbelievably good, I would not have believed it without experiencing it myself.

Happy Camping,
Jamnut
Jamnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Towed 12000 miles with Andersen. Great experience and I would do it again. Now in a 5th wheel and went with Andersen again.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #11

The Andersen is the perfect set up, no need to go balls to the wall in overkill for your set up . no need for the equalizer, it's great for a f150 but with your set up and weights the Andersen will more then suit your needs and out perform the equalizer in handling and set up . I've towed well over 8000 miles with the andersen over the last yr . never any sway . none ever . makes towing a 35' TH a breeze , no bounce either .
I do agree if you have to light a TV and pushing the limits on your weights then i you meed the old fashion greasy heavy WDH hitch . but with your truck and what you're towing the Andersen was made for you .

I've got a 03 chevy 6.0 2500hd and the TH weights in loaded between 9000 and 9400

edited to add that the breaking material started to squeak when making slow turns , So Andersen came out with a new Breaking material to fix this issue seemed to happen after it got real wet . A lifetime warranty . i stopped by the factory in Idaho Falls and they put the new material in for me . all free of course and they sent others the up dated material also for free
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #12

We used an Equalizer hitch for 12 years with our 7500 pound Komfort travel trailer. We graduated from a 1993 Ford E-350 Club Wagon to a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, and still used the Equalizer we bought with our 2004 TT. The hitch system provides weight distribution and anti-sway features without the need for an auxiliary friction damper, as we had on a previous TT. When upgrading to the Silverado, we had to re-position the L-brackets on the trailer tongue to compensate for the different height of the tow vehicle hitch receiver. The Equalizer never failed to perform as advertised for the years we used it.

Only one caution, when trying to disconnect the Equalizer sway bars in situations where the tow vehicle and trailer are on uneven ground, with the trailer level and the tow vehicle tilting significantly to one side or the other, it can be a chore to release the sway bars from the L-brackets. Occasionally I had no choice but to unbolt the loaded L-bracket from the trailer frame, slowly and carefully, until the anti-sway pressure was relieved.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #13

Completely agree with everyone. Anderson has a lot of appeal. I wanted it after seeing it. However tv must be under limit of tt. Seams fair to say if tt is over 5000 lb and your tv is a 1/2 ton then go with old school type hitch. By the way just this year I was torn between these two choices also. Went with equalizer and I'm very happy. Let's hope that Anderson soon offers some retooling to there awesome design of a hitch. At that point people like us could consider the Anderson.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
We used an Equalizer hitch for 12 years with our 7500 pound Komfort travel trailer. We graduated from a 1993 Ford E-350 Club Wagon to a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, and still used the Equalizer we bought with our 2004 TT. The hitch system provides weight distribution and anti-sway features without the need for an auxiliary friction damper, as we had on a previous TT. When upgrading to the Silverado, we had to re-position the L-brackets on the trailer tongue to compensate for the different height of the tow vehicle hitch receiver. The Equalizer never failed to perform as advertised for the years we used it.

Only one caution, when trying to disconnect the Equalizer sway bars in situations where the tow vehicle and trailer are on uneven ground, with the trailer level and the tow vehicle tilting significantly to one side or the other, it can be a chore to release the sway bars from the L-brackets. Occasionally I had no choice but to unbolt the loaded L-bracket from the trailer frame, slowly and carefully, until the anti-sway pressure was relieved.
This sounds like a Very wrong way to Unhook! You don't have enough Jack to Unload the Pressure? Sounds like you need More Jack! Youroo!!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

In the OP's case the Anderson should work okay. But I have a tendency to prefer to stay with something I have used in the past that I know works. I have towed tens of thousands of miles with an Equalizer and it has always done the job. I have towed less than 2 thousand with an Anderson. On one rig it was not the right hitch for the job, on the other it was fine.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch