Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #21

To stop the brackets from moving on the Anderson I just drilled a small amount into the frame so the set screws had a pocket for the point. Put some silicone in there to prevent rust. So far no issues.

I like the option to adjust the hitch on the fly. If we are running lighter than normal I can back off the weight distribution. I have had times where I loose traction on gravel if it is moving too much weight forward.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #22

Been using the Andersen since I first got my trailer and truck back in 2014. It's the only wdh I'm familiar with since I've only been towing since 2014 but it's light, easy to hook up and disconnect and quiet. In my experience, they have excellent customer service too. My friends who use the bars don't like it, after all these years of watching me connect and disconnect, they're not convinced, but I haven't had any issues with it.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:10 PM   #23

I used the EQ4 with a 28ft. 700lb. Coachmen and my 2016 Ford F150 and had no problems with any sway or push from tractor trailers. I now have a Chevy 2500 with a 34 ft. trailer. I'm using a Reese Hitch and no problems with it. I wish I had my EQ4 back though for some reason.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #24

I'm in similar position as the OP with a Mini Lite 2513s on order. I have a Reese WDH that was given to me, but wondering if the Andersen or the EQ4 would be a better fit. In the short-term the Reese will be fine, but i like the apparent simplicity of setting up the other two. This is our first TT and we will be towing with a RAM 1500.No plans on upsizing the trailer w/o an upsize in the TV.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #25

I've had both and as for how they work, I couldn't tell the difference. I had the Anderson first so I thought the E2 would be harder to hook up but it isn't. Once the trailer in on the ball, I use the electric tongue jack to lift them both up to set the arms. Do the same when removing them.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #26

I tow TTs commercially for years so a crazy amount of miles 12 months a years 47 states. Own an Andersen but have used an E4 as well as other WDHs. The thing is especially if you are towing a larger TT with a softer 1/2 ton truck is to get the hitch adjusted to get the results you need for the safest most stable setup. Too often people get too little weight distribution out of their WDH.

If you just one time take your wet say 6k plus TT & truck to a CAT scale. Adjust it by results then sort of stick to that same setting you will unless you dramatically change the way you load your truck or trailer always get a safe stable tow. Pretty much no matter which WDH you are using. Are their differences, are some better than others, or have more appropriately sized bars.. yes. That said its more about the setup. If you adjust your WDH & loading so that you replace your unloaded steer weight and work towards say 12% tongue weight it will be safe & stable as it can be and assuming you are not over Mfgr specs will normally be two fingers driveable.

People talk about stuff like stacking up weigh guesstimates towards a payload sticker number. Not to say watching your GVWR gross vehicle weight rating, CVWR combined vehicle weight rating, max axle, max receiver etc isn't of value it it. But if you keep your eye on the ball and keep the main thing the main thing so to speak the other numbers have generally fallen in line and you will be pleased with your results.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDan View Post
Have a 2021 MicroLite 25BRDS coming in next week and am trying to choose the right hitch for it. TV is a 2014 F150 King Ranch SuperCrew 5.0L short bed.

The dealer installs Equalizer E2, but I was reading good things about the Anderson. I like the idea of not having to grease it and they say the bushing thing helps take out a little bounce as well.

I just want a hitch that will make towing it as stress free as possible. I don't want to clinch every time an 18-wheeler goes by, or hill, bump, cross-wind, etc...

Also, does anyone know the specs I need if I do go with Anderson (or even better, the right model number)? I don't know the trailer frame dimensions, or even ball size.

I've towed boats, trailers, pop-ups, etc for years but this is my first full bodied tow behind so I want to make sure I set it up well the first time. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
D

DO NOT GET ANERSEN. We tow trailers for a living and have our own scales. The Andersen does not transfer much weight off the rear axle. As such you can overload the rear axle as weight is transferred from the steer axle to the drive axle. Equalizer is good, but we use Blue Ox.
Rick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #28

Just my opinion (and everyone's is different when it comes to hitches), but years ago I ran a hitch (don't remember the brand) with equalizer bars and it did ok. But I got tired of the bars and in my opinion, it was a PIA to hitch and unhitch. I now run an Anderson and I love it. The biggest difference for me is if the rig doesn't feel right when I'm going down the road, I pull into a rest area, pull out the wrench, and make an adjustment and I'm bank on the road in 5 minutes.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #29

Anderson is the best

Late to the game, but as an actual user of the Anderson WDH I highly recommend it. For the past 5 years, I have been towing my 32 foot TT with an Excursion. Living in West Texas, winds and high winds are the norm and there has been no issue with the Anderson. It is so much easier to hook up then the older systems and light weight enough that my 60 year old wife can handle the job.
wylie31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #30

I have anderson hitch.love it easy hookup ,lightweight. No sway when in wind or passed by 18 wheeler. Pull 35 ft lacrosse with 2007 2500hd Chevrolet.
savoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
D

DO NOT GET ANERSEN. We tow trailers for a living and have our own scales. The Andersen does not transfer much weight off the rear axle. As such you can overload the rear axle as weight is transferred from the steer axle to the drive axle. Equalizer is good, but we use Blue Ox.
@RickJ, I am going to ask you again about your Andersen statement. How come my Andersen does transfer weight off the rear axle. While I do not have my own scales, I can measure the height of my hitch with and without the Andersen chains hooked up. When hooked up my Andersen raises my hitch. If weight is not being transferred off the rear axle to the front axle and the trailer axle then where is it going?

Can you please explain the results I, and others, are seeing? What are we missing?

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
@RickJ, I am going to ask you again about your Andersen statement. How come my Andersen does transfer weight off the rear axle. While I do not have my own scales, I can measure the height of my hitch with and without the Andersen chains hooked up. When hooked up my Andersen raises my hitch. If weight is not being transferred off the rear axle to the front axle and the trailer axle then where is it going?

Can you please explain the results I, and others, are seeing? What are we missing?
I woulds like to hear an answer also . weight does not get transferred from the steer axle to the drive axle as he states . The Andersen is a great alternative and mine has been great for 6yrs going on 7 and 30,000 miles or more
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #33

TLDR; Hitch appears satisfactory. The Andersen rep (Archie in Montana) was not very satisfactory.

After many, many calls, finally received the hitch and brought it up to the dealership in Dallas to pickup my new trailer. They clearly had never installed one and didn't have any idea what to do other than follow the directions. Upon leaving there was a lot of sway/push/etc so I stopped 4 parking lots down and adjusted it myself. I had bought a BetterWeigh and used that to help adjust the balance. It may not be as good as scales, but I could use it on the side of the road and it worked great for me. The trailer performed great after that on our short trip to the first night of camping.

The dealership had sent us with basically all tanks full, so we dumped everything and I tried to re-adjust the Andersen. I probably should have just left it. I ended up trying to adjust it several more times on the way home (2-3 hours). I think I ended up with it ok and the perceived problems were due more to some bumpy back roads and a windy day. Probably just need to spend more time and get used to the trailer. Towed well on the highway. More push when trucks/vehicles passing me than when me passing them.

Overall, with no basis for comparison, I have to recommend the Andersen and the BetterWeigh together. As a previous poster commented, it was extremely comforting to be able to pull over somewhere and make adjustments basically on the fly.

Complaining about customer service:
I don't know for sure who to blame, but I feel that all parties could have done better. I placed the order on Tweetys immediately after the poster here said they had it in stock (1/11/21). In spite of it saying it was in-stock when I ordered it, I didn't get shipping notice, but I wasn't too worried because I hadn't heard on the trailer delivery date yet. After almost 2 weeks I called to check and they told me it had shipped direct from Andersen but that their rep was on the road and they'd send me tracking number in an hour or so. Called back the next afternoon to follow-up: Rep was sending tracking in next 15min. Called back next day: "It had for sure shipped, rep is on the road and would send tracking". Next day, same. Finally called Andersen direct. Their guy Archie in Montana was on the road, but it had certainly shipped and would get me tracking that day. Same next day.
Finally, I believe Andersen just shipped it from their other facility, after at least a week of trying to get tracking.

I'm ok with there being a lead time. I'm not so ok with being told it had shipped when it hadn't. Or that you would get me information and then don't and don't follow-up. Repeatedly. Manage customer expectations so that you can exceed them. If they had said it would be a 2-3 week lead time and then it shipped in 1.5 weeks, that's a win for the customer. If you say it's in stock and was shipped and then find out 2 weeks later that it was never shipped, that's a loss for all.
Ok, enough complaining for now!

We're anxious for this weather to go away so we can get on the road! 9 degrees in Texas just isn't right!
TXDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, equalizer, f150