Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Ever had a FW hitch hurt by rough roads?

This past week I was on some pretty rough stretches of highway(thank you Oklahoma). Since doing this, my chucking has gone from minimal to quite a lot. Also, I get lots a noise now as well. Banging, squeaking etc. Have any of ever experienced this after some bad roads. I feel like the roads loosened up the hitch somehow.

Hitch is a fairly new Curt A16, and FW is sub 10K lbs loaded.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

I check all bolts on hitch and kingpin side at least twice a year, especially if they are fairly new. Some noise is inevitable. A change in chucking can be caused by slight changes in loading, usually more weight in back, less in front.

As far as rough roads hurting anything, I suppose anything is possible, but I have never experienced hitch damage from them.

You said that hitch is fairly new, perhaps this trip was enough to really break it in and loosen it up a bit? Again, check all the bolts/nuts having anything to do with either side of the hitch. If that doesn't satisfy your concern, take it to a professional.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I'll mess with it some and see what I can come up with.

On the note of load, I do usually travel with the water tank full or nearly full as I thought maybe the ballast was good since its forward of the axles, and most of the trailer's weight is mid to rear. On the way home, I emptied it. Maybe it really does make a big difference.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Old 08-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Maybe it really does make a big difference.
DING DING DING think we have a winner
It does make a big difference.Ours is much better with water in the tank.It'll settle the springs down in the over loads just right.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #5

So, I looked over the hitch a little closer and discovered a few things. One, it wasn't closing as tight, there was a fair amount of play in the jaws, and the rear jaw somehow got tweaked upwards. Took a quick drive to the installer's and they agreed, it wasn't right. Gave me a replacement head. We'll see how it works. Here's a photo of the old and new. You can see the difference.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax

Tags
hitch