Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
chicagoslick

Extension Mirrors

After looking at how wide the trailers are in comparison to the tow vehicle, I was just curious what everyone is using for extension mirrors...

I noticed these and they look decent and appear to not disturb your factory mirrors.

CIPA Chevrolet/GMC Custom Pair Towing Mirrors - $63.99

I would like all suggestions...

thanks,
Gary
chicagoslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Professional Curmudgeon

I have a set of those for my Ford. I used them a couple times and was very impressed with the product for the price. I think they are about the best designed extensions on the market.
However, I never did get used to them because the actual mirror area is rather small. Your regular mirrors are pretty much useless, but, being the largest area, draw your eyes first, then you have to shift to the smaller outside mirror to actually see if there is anything "back there".
I ended up buying factory tow mirrors and installing those. But, if you don't want to spend for factory tow mirrors, the CIPA's are about the best alternative out there.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dont waste your time on clip ons.

Buy these install and enjoy.

I did an install thread on here for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-07-SILVER...44c718&vxp=mtr

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-22683.html

TURBS

golf cart safety instructor
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I used these before I bought a new truck that has factory installed extension mirrors.

Eagle Vision Portable Rear-View Mirror - Wheel Masters 6600 - Mirrors - Camping World

These have much larger mirrors than noted by wrvond. They do not vibrate and adjust very easily. They really become part of the truck and they're on sale at Camping World right now. I highly recommend them.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

I agree , although they look fine,they don't compare to the factory mirrors. I put a pair on my f250, they fit fine and looked great, but they are a tad difficult to get used to. Mine did have some vibration at highway speeds. I opted for a set of after market ford mirrors that I purchased through amazon for just a few more dollars. Only took a few hours to install , the headest part was removing the door panel , which was not bad after I looked it up on youtube (its still amazes me what you can find on computers nowadays ) Mine are like the factory ones that extend out while towing. I really think you would be more pleased with the factory clones. Just my $0.02 worth..Chuck in Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Site Team

I had the "strap ons" until I ordered the aftermarket extendables. Strap ons worked fine but were a nuisance to mount and store.
The extendable mirror wasn't available on 2008 tundra limited so I had to hunt to find them and paid a premium but never regretted it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

I have those, they work ok and don't rattle. I bought them as a "quick fix" until I could afford OEM extended mirrors but they work well enough that I plan to use them until its time for a new truck. My trailer is only 26ft tho.

Check Amazon for prices. $63 is a ripoff.

Amazon.com: CIPA 10800 Chevrolet/GMC Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
After looking at how wide the trailers are in comparison to the tow vehicle, I was just curious what everyone is using for extension mirrors...

I noticed these and they look decent and appear to not disturb your factory mirrors.

thanks,
Gary
I don't have the CIPA slide on mirrors, but have the K-Source Custom Towing Mirrors - Snap On for our Ram.

They have worked great for me with little or no vibration. Our truck came with regular power/heated mirrors. I looked into swapping out to factory towing mirrors, but the cost $600+, so went with the K-Source mirrors. I purchased them from etrailer.com.

I hadn't really noticed before, but other folks in our neighborhood that are towing 5ers or TT have been using the snap on mirror extensions as well.

If we ever buy another truck I would definitely like to get the retractable factory towing mirrors though.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #9

I use the CIPA's on my F150 to tow my 26' TT. I think they work fine for the occasional local weekend trips that I take. Would the factory extension mirrors be better? Probably, but how often are you going to use them? I got mine from Amazon for a lot less than $64.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My CIPAs work great !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
RKR

I use the same clip on mirrors on my '11 2500 HD.They work fine. I was about to pull the trigger on a new mirror package but I'm trading her in on a '15 3500 when they become available so I went the clip on route. They work really well for the money. No regrets.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #12

(imo) If you are planning on keeping the same truck for a few years and putting a lot miles on it, I would advise getting the factory or after market tow mirrors that go with your truck installed. They are easier to install than you think and over the long haul you will be glad you did. No more storing the extra mirrors. No more coming out of a rest area and finding one or both gone. No more 'asking' your better half to adjust the passenger side (and never getting it right). There is enough 'stress' when out on the road and having 'the right' mirrors on your vehicle will remove one of those stress factors.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #13

No doubt, factory or aftermarket tow mirrors are the best, but for towing a few times a year, the clip-on tow mirrors will do the job. i was planning on getting the CIPA's but the people at the dealer were big on the Aero mirrors, so thats what we went with. They are a little more $, but they are big, they are stable, easy to mount and adjust, and they are universal, so you can always move them to a new TV if needed. We took a 2,800 mile trip tis summer, and these worked really well.

Amazon.com: JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirror - Pair: Automotive

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #14

I had towing mirrors put on my Silverado - expensive. Before that I used the McKesh mirrors for a couple of years.

( http://www.safetowingstore.com/McKesh-Mirrors-p/70007.htm )

My experience:

1. Every outing requires mounting and adjustment. Mounting is really no big deal, but adjusting the mirrors will make you crazy.

2. I found that the mirrors didn't vibrate much and provided good visibility. You'll also really need a set of convex mirrors which adds to the expense.

3. The straps that hold the mirrors would sometimes buzz from wind passing over & under them. I Think that long term use would cause some paint problems on the door. I expect the problem would be worse for trucks with body side moulding or contoured doors.

My 2 Cents:

The Mckesh mirrors would probably be OK for periodic short hauls, but beyond that I would recommend permanent towing mirrors.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

thanks,
Gary
I have a set that are like new. Sending PM
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #16

I bought clip-ons for my F-150 for $50- online, and I'm perfectly happy with them. To each his own... When I upgrade trucks, I'll know more about tow packages and mirrors... I'll worry about this, then.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:

thanks,
Gary
Gary: That set of mirrors is $44.88 on Amazon.com. I bought a set and they work great on my Chevrolet. Here is the website: Amazon.com
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
NELA

If anyone is interested, DH has a set of CIPA snap on towing mirrors for a Ford F150 super cab, 2011. We used them about six times, then traded up to a 2013 F250 with electric extending tow mirrors.

They were $70.00/set brand new

Make offer and you pay shipping.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Dont waste your time on clip ons.
Buy these install and enjoy.
I did an install thread on here for these.
03 07 Silverado Sierra Extandable Power Adjust w Heat Towing Mirror Left Right | eBay
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...all-22683.html
TURBS
Agree, don't waste your money on the slide on mirrors, I had a set and they help, but a major drawback is the small mirror is NOT what you see first. I ended up buying factory power extend mirrors on eBay. By far the best choice.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
Resident Masshole

I ran w/ the slide-on ones for years pulling a clam shell snowmobile trailer w/ my F150, and was totally happy with them. That trailer is easily as wide as my Roo.

My GMC has the OEM pull out ones, and I think they are a lot better. More surface area plus the convex mirror, and they pull out a bit farther than the slide on ones get you.

Just 2 more cents for your pile
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote