Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I will not ever get the money I paid for the tank back unless I sold the tank. It’s just convenience for me, when hooked up to the fifth wheel I don’t have to pull in fuel stations. Plus it helps me drive a lot of miles in a day.
Persackly.

I will not ever get the money back I paid for the TRUCK, either!!!

All these things are tools. The goal is FUN and TIME. The tools help get there.

Lots of people buy quarter inch drills. NOT ONE of them actually wants a quarter inch drill. What they really want, is quarter inch HOLES.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
This is true. You get what you need, or want, to make it easier or more enjoyable. It doesn’t have to pay for itself to be money well spent.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Persackly.

I will not ever get the money back I paid for the TRUCK, either!!!

Lots of people buy quarter inch drills. NOT ONE of them actually wants a quarter inch drill. What they really want, is quarter inch HOLES.

Yea that’s true, it’s all fun. I don’t like truckstops and I can easily drive five hundred miles a day. Let’s see I have had the tank for ten years, I may have paid it off. It’s just a convenience for me. I just have a expensive hobby, Diesel engine in truck $8,000 bucks won’t get that back. It’s all fun and you can’t take any money with you when you leave this earth. I have fun with what I have
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

I agree its all about the fun.

Personally I enjoy hunting for lower gas prices along the route. Being able to save 40 or 50 cents per gallon makes me happy. I say thrifty, you say cheap.

Our next trip this month is to Michigan, with a pitstop in Missouri for fuel. So when we fill up at home for $2.09 and smile as we drive by the stations selling diesel over $3 I get a rush, then have the ability to justify spending the money on something else.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
You think you’re going to save $200 per fill up?
Ok...maybe 15 fill ups, but it's fun to spend $2.30-$2.50 a gallon instead of $2.95-$3.25...which is what it is here!
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #26

I know what you’re saying. Like HR said above, it makes you happy.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Remodeler View Post
I agree its all about the fun.

Personally I enjoy hunting for lower gas prices along the route. Being able to save 40 or 50 cents per gallon makes me happy. I say thrifty, you say cheap.

Our next trip this month is to Michigan, with a pitstop in Missouri for fuel. So when we fill up at home for $2.09 and smile as we drive by the stations selling diesel over $3 I get a rush, then have the ability to justify spending the money on something else.
Exactly, i pay 1.55 for e85 and can never find it when i travel. So i would much rather carry enough gas to get me back home and not have to fill up while out camping
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #28
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I have mine for the piece of mind, as there are a lot of remote places here in the desert Southwest and inter mountain areas. Like I posted earlier, may -or not be on this thread.....I like to fuel up when it's convenient, not because I have to.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #29

I'm still fitting out my '05 Isuzu NPR as a tow rig. It's 14,500 lbs rated so I found an 88 gal "L" shaped tank to mount forward on the flatbed, drivers side, counter balanced, sort of, by a 6.5 KW(32 watt) generator, 80 Lb. air compressor and a full tool box. The factory tank is 35 gal, so, worst case, I can run ~ 1400 miles between fuel stops. That's easily 3 or 4 days of moving at the pace me and DW can keep... And, as has been said here before, fuel when it's cheap, not when I have to.

The job at hand is to plumb a remote X-fer pump, 20 foot delivery hose and an auto stop nozzle with a flow meter. This will allow me to pull over, stuff the nozzle into the in frame tank fill, go about my business. 3 min or so later, the truck tank is full. Turn everything off, log the gallons used, wrap up the hose in the storage box with the pump, lock the box and continue turning dollars into smoke, noise and distance. (It'll be nice to be able to help out the more mileage challenged among us, as well)

The tank is off and cleaned, ready to paint, so I'm considering drilling and welding in a bung into the low front corner of the tank, to save the pump from pulling the fuel up and out the 2 inch bung at the top of the tank. With the pump mounted at deck level, it will almost certainly gravity prime. Also considering adding a 2" X 2" stripping sump to help out the separators.

What say the smart pigs?

Paul in Floriduh
shooter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #30

Aux Fuel Tanks

I installed a 50 gallon fuel tank/toolbox ($750) in the bed of my 2500HD 5 years ago. First tried gravity transfer, but the truck was using fuel at about the same rate as the flow. I installed a 12v pump ($50), solenoid shutoff valve ($30), dash on/off switch ($15) and a filter system ($65). Now I can get about 1,500 miles towing and 1,800 miles lose and don't worry about having to navigate fuel stations with 36' strapped to my bumper.
Being able to get to AND BACK from most anywhere we go camping, is a huge deal to me with fuel stations being shut down from loss of elec due to storms (just went through this scenario). People were showing up at gas stations only to find out they couldn't get fuel.
I still have plenty of bed space even with a bed crane and second spare tire. The truck has an ARE (brand name) cap on the bed, so everything is secured.
If you install a tank in your bed, make sure it has a bung in the bottom of the tank as many don't.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter51 View Post
I'm still fitting out my '05 Isuzu NPR as a tow rig. It's 14,500 lbs rated so I found an 88 gal "L" shaped tank to mount forward on the flatbed, drivers side, counter balanced, sort of, by a 6.5 KW(32 watt) generator, 80 Lb. air compressor and a full tool box. The factory tank is 35 gal, so, worst case, I can run ~ 1400 miles between fuel stops. That's easily 3 or 4 days of moving at the pace me and DW can keep... And, as has been said here before, fuel when it's cheap, not when I have to.

The job at hand is to plumb a remote X-fer pump, 20 foot delivery hose and an auto stop nozzle with a flow meter. This will allow me to pull over, stuff the nozzle into the in frame tank fill, go about my business. 3 min or so later, the truck tank is full. Turn everything off, log the gallons used, wrap up the hose in the storage box with the pump, lock the box and continue turning dollars into smoke, noise and distance. (It'll be nice to be able to help out the more mileage challenged among us, as well)

The tank is off and cleaned, ready to paint, so I'm considering drilling and welding in a bung into the low front corner of the tank, to save the pump from pulling the fuel up and out the 2 inch bung at the top of the tank. With the pump mounted at deck level, it will almost certainly gravity prime. Also considering adding a 2" X 2" stripping sump to help out the separators.

What say the smart pigs?

Paul in Floriduh
I would seriously consider installing a bung in the bottom of the tank NOW whether or not you plan to use it as you won't be able to add it later after fuel is once loaded. No fabricater I know will touch a fuel tank once fuel has been in it.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #32

I installed a Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank which replaced the stock 26 gallon unit. That give me enough range to cover the typical campground to campground distance that I plan. Since installed I have only stopped for fuel once pulling the trailer. It cost about $1,500 installed but has been one of the best purchases I have made since I retired!
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #33
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

Having read extensively on aux tanks, many folks are happy with a gravity system.

ATTA tanks come with pump and in-cab switch, so we can re-fill as we ride along. The pump is mounted under the truck bed, with a fill hose running to the factory tank overflow / vent line. I start refilling at 1/4 tank on the TV, then turn off the pump when it reaches 3/4 on the TV as the gauges aren't 100% responsive and they creep up after a spell. To keep myself from forgetting the pump is on, I hold something in my hand. Refilling takes about 20 minutes. They make an automatic computer driven system, but it was too pricey for me.

It all comes down to how you prefer to travel. We take months long road trips. A number of times we've been 50 or 100 miles from fuel. We like driving off the main highways. We've been to Muddy Flats WY where diesel was $4/gal at the only station (and probably the only building) for 60 miles. When we were racing to stay ahead of torrential rain and flooding the added tank was a Godsend.

Or just have one because it's a guy thing.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #34

Gravity flow may work well for gasoline or diesel IN SUMMER when it warm, but cold diesel has trouble moving even when it is pumped. I filled up my tank last week when it was 27 degrees and it pumped at the rate of one gallon a minute and this was at the gas station. Gravity feed will be super slow, if at all, from an aux tank especially if it goes through a filter system which I highly recommend. It's like moving cold syrup!
JMHO and experience which is what this forum is all about. Newbies need to know.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I would seriously consider installing a bung in the bottom of the tank NOW whether or not you plan to use it as you won't be able to add it later after fuel is once loaded. No fabricater I know will touch a fuel tank once fuel has been in it.

I have got my extra fuel tank welded again twice after fuel leaks. If you are worried just fill the tank up with water before you start welding. Diesel fuel is hard to light, it’s not explosive like gas is. On the trip I took to Alaska my tank was not bolted down and the tank sprung a leak, needless to say it’s bolted down good with a rubber stall mat under the tank
Old 01-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have got my extra fuel tank welded again twice after fuel leaks. If you are worried just fill the tank up with water before you start welding. Diesel fuel is hard to light, it’s not explosive like gas is. On the trip I took to Alaska my tank was not bolted down and the tank sprung a leak, needless to say it’s bolted down good with a rubber stall mat under the tank

And how do you get all the water back out of the tank before adding diesel again? I really don’t want to go to the trouble of removing/replacing the tank/tool box from my capped bed.
I’ve been welding for almost 50 years and I will not touch a tank that has had any kind of fuel. Diesel does have a much higher flash point than gasoline, but when you Mig, Tig or stick weld, that easily exceeds those flash points. JMHO
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #37

Well my tank has not exploded yet and the place that built the tank welded the tank after a leak was found the first time I filled the tank up with diesel. I have a bung hole at the bottom of tank to let the water out or I can use my 12 volt pump to pump the water out. After I got what thought was all the water out I pumped about five gallons of diesel back in tank and after a few trips I pumped that out and used that diesel to burn a stump. The tank has been fixed three times but I think the leaks came about because the tank wasn’t bolted to the bottom of truck. It’s bolted now at all four corners, that tank will not move again. If tank leaks again the I will buy the Transfer Flow tank, it holds 109 gallons. It comes with a 12 volt pump, all you have to do is bolt the tank to the truck. It’s expensive , $1415 plus shipping and tax, not cheap but with the 12 volt pump about three hundred bucks if you had to install the pump on a tank like mine. Plus you can put the tank under a cover on your truck
Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #38
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
And how do you get all the water back out of the tank before adding diesel again? I really don’t want to go to the trouble of removing/replacing the tank/tool box from my capped bed.
I’ve been welding for almost 50 years and I will not touch a tank that has had any kind of fuel. Diesel does have a much higher flash point than gasoline, but when you Mig, Tig or stick weld, that easily exceeds those flash points. JMHO

Anytime I weld on any tank or vessel I purge the interior with an inert gas to push out any fumes. (Argon, CO2, or a mix)
With that said I still wouldn't weld it with it in your truck. I'd pull the tank, empty and leave it open to vent. Following day purge the fumes out and weld it up.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #39

Transfer Flow tanks are expensive, but you get what you pay for and you don’t have to collect components and install everything. I guess you could call it more “turn key installation” if you can afford it, that is certainly the easiest approach.
Does the TF system come with a filter/water separate as part of the package? Very important as water is the biggest concern and trouble maker to Diesel engines. My sailboat engine (Yanmar) goes through water filters like candy.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #40

Filters are easy to add

Tags
fuel, tank