Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Engineer of Crazy Train

EZ Connector or Other Options

Well, things haven't changed since my dually days. Every spring, especially after a bad winter, gotta change my rear plug out due to corrosion...even though I used dielectric grease.

So, I see Mark Polk, from RV Education 101 using EZ Connector on his YouTube Series Video. (Yes, I love links). I said, this looks interesting. But, I have reservations to go to a "Non-standard" plug. Some now, featherlite trailers have this plug as an option, now.

Does anyone have any experience with this plug? Or does anyone else have an idea that works good.

Here is my blog from yesterday...
http://campinglifewithmatt.blogspot....e-trailer.html
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

No idea, but I don't have the same issues where I am. That picture was painful to look at.

My kneejerk reaction is that I really dislike the non-standard plug.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

New style or old if water gets in and stays it will corrode the connections. My first thought on the new style is that those little brass tabs could corrode just as fast and break off. The seal is only as good as those o-rings and still does not stop water coming in from the other end.

I put a small amount of sealant on the back end or where the wires enter, then i covered it in black electrical tape, then one of those plastic wire covers. I have had no problems and live close to salt water and those notorious cities that loves salt.

If i had to do again I might consider a large piece of shrink wrap on the wires. Hope that helps..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

I believe the ez connector is sealed with a wire lead where you make your connections.

It is a lot of money and was hoping someone would have tried it. But with featherlite, a major manufacturer offering it as an option, I may be a guinea pig for FRF.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

how much? Looks like a good idea...but, I wonder if you could not achieve 90% of the results by just trying to weatherproof a regular 7 pin connector? If you work to seal the back end of the vehicle side plug, and then cut some rubber gasket for the flap cover and use petroleum jelly on the sides of the plug, would you not have it pretty well sealed?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
B47

I probably will never need to replace my connectors, but if the need ever arose, I would look into this.

One feature that I would look closely at is the 90 degree breakaway function. The video just went too fast when that was shown.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote