RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #41

2018 Tradesman (base model) 2500 gas. Pleasantly surprised at the unloaded ride. Pulls our 2020 Wildwood (9k loaded) very easily.
2018 Ram 6.4 Hemi & 2020 Forest River Wildwood 27RE
JRCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #42
RAR

Don’t forget on some of the Ram’s you can get the air suspension on the rear and the goose neck setup factory installed for the 5th wheel, not sure if Ford offers either. We bought a 2018 2500 with the Cummins and love it. We got the Laramie interior and my wife who has a couple of bad disc in her back has no problem riding in it. Biggest thing for us with the options the Ford was about $12,000 more.
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #43

Recent Ram 2500 Purchase

I recently bought a 19 Ram 2500. I debated between that and the F250. I came extremely close to buying the 250. Both very good trucks imo. Fairly comparable price points too. I don't think you can make a bad decision between them.

I did find the Ram rode nicer, thanks to the coil springs. With the 8 speed transmission and 4 cylinder operation I believe the Ram capable of better mileage while not towing. I can easily get 15 around town. I also thought the Ram had superior refinements and technology (12" screen gets comments from Ford, Chevy, and GMC guys). I have it in Delmonico Red with the Night package. I get more compliments than I would have ever expected.

Good luck with your purchase!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200430_184105.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	236827  
Jeff Tucc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAR View Post
Don’t forget on some of the Ram’s you can get the air suspension on the rear and the goose neck setup factory installed for the 5th wheel, not sure if Ford offers either. We bought a 2018 2500 with the Cummins and love it. We got the Laramie interior and my wife who has a couple of bad disc in her back has no problem riding in it. Biggest thing for us with the options the Ford was about $12,000 more.
They do, they have the puck system with goosneck and tie downs as well as a 5th wheel too. You could order one completely set up and you could hook up upon delivery.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:45 PM   #45

I am a Ford guy. I’m 46 and have always said, “Better no car than a MOPAR!” I’m in the same boat. Had a 2014 F150 Max Tow Ecoboost. Loved that truck, but needed a 3/4 ton to tow the new Jayco 267BHSW. I bought a 2018 2500 Tradesman gasser for almost 10 grand less than I could get a comparable F250. I hate the look of the truck, but it does everything I need it to do especially since the only time I use it like a truck is when I tow the TT. This coil over RAM has a better ride than my Max Tow F150, no joke. I love Ford, but this truck rides better no doubt.
TonyCOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #46

Gave up a F350 powerstroke for a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with the Bighorn trim. Very pleased with the performance while towing with the 2500. My wife keeps very good notes on our way to and from Iowa down to Key West Florida as to where our fuel and over night camping spots are. Our fuel stops this last winter in the 2500 gasser ended up being very close if not the same places as the previous two years in the diesel.
I have read about the large gap on the low side in the 6 speed Rams but we have not noticed it at all pulling our almost 10,000 pound fifth wheel. Plus we have just under 3100 pounds of payload.
We both feel we made a very good choice.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #47

I have owned Chrysler/dodge vehicles in the past and they all were pos vehicles and so I went with ford and have never regretted it. Drive /pull with a F450. Rough ride when not pulling but it will get me home every time. Don't know about the Fiat Dodge . My friends have one and it has cost them thousands in repairs.
DAHVGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #48
Long time camper.

2017 F250 SD 6.7 diesel

Wow, what a truck. 36,000 tow cap, 2700 lb cargo cap. Trailer sway control, traction control, jake brake, tow mode, cruse control. Pulled a 24’ 10,000 5er to Alaska, traded that for a 33’ 9000 lb TT. I wouldn’t trade it for anything! Pulls up mountains like a beast. 80 mph highway 22 mpg. Only “issue” 25 gallon fuel capacity. Looking for a slip tank that will fit below the hard bed cover. Rides like a dream with the trailer, a little rougher empty. It helps a lot to adjust to the 10 ply 80 psi tires to the door tag. I think it states 50 front and 65 rear without a load. Always tow with 80 psi. TPMS reads by the pound, so it shows what is in the tire, never had a warning. 98,000 miles never a mechanical issue.

SamTummo
Be Safe!
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #49

chevy

get the chevy....rams have problems with their trans...they are great not towing but the 68rfe is garbage i went thru 3..n then i bought a chevy which is my BEST truck yet,fords are overrated if you ask me...
Old 08-18-2020, 03:31 AM   #50

Bykerbob, what is the weight of your travel trailer? Are you sure you need a 3/4 ton?
I towed a 7200 pound conventional trailer with my 2015 Ram 5.7 hemi and it pulled it super easily. As well as sounding wonderfully... The 1500 can have the air bag suspension, which is marvelous for both ride and leveling the truck in operation. If you want the very best ride, get a Ram with air bags. But if over 7500 pounds loaded, yes I'd go a step up. All the car magazines say these trucks are close, but always give the ride nod to the Ram

btw, I had reliability issues with my 5.7, the very common "hemi tick" and under warranty Ram replaced two roller tappets. Hopefully the 6.4 will not have those problems Before I got my 1500 I had a 3500 Ram with the Cummins, oh my what a truck, and what a bad ride unloaded. Plus the truck with duallies was simply enormous and I drove over my share of corner curbs to my embarrassment..
daugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:37 AM   #51

Rent the Trucks

Hello,

Because of the cost of each truck, I would rent them and drive it around for a day. I have a F250 now, picking up a F350 tomorrow both are setup for a 5th wheel towing and they both ride ruff when not towing or the auxiliary tank is empty.

Good luck.
gmmarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #52

Ford vs RAM

I have owned both over the years, and currently have a 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins diesel. This one is the Laramie, which has all of the creature comforts, but does sacrifice some carry weight.
I have owned both Ford and Dodge 1/2 ton trucks which were gas engines, but my F250 Ford, and 2500 RAMs were diesel. I found that the gas engines when towing got horrid mileage, but maybe that has changed.
I am curious though why you do not want a diesel. Towing our 32ft 5th wheel, I get between 11 and 12 MPG, as opposed to 6-7 MPG that I got towing a lighter camper with an F150.
I agree that the ride of the RAM is much better than the Ford or Chevy, and since I am now older, I put a high value on comfort.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #53

Wife loves HER Ram 2500 diesel! Not negotiable.

A hd truck unloaded does not ride well. Let the DW pick the truck if she is the driver. There are no bad choices. Her truck rides best with six buckets of sand near the cab #300. The winter mode. All trucks are awful in the winter on slippery surfaces without the sand.

DW loves the sound of the traditional diesel.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #54

Ford or dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykerbob View Post
I have owned numerous Ford F 150, trading travel trailers and will need a 3/4 T. Pickup to pull new trailer. My last 3/4 ton was a 1988 7.3. So I have no experience with newer models. Which one of these two will offer a better ride when not pulling anything. Either one will be a gas, no diesel. All opinions welcome and appreciated.

Do not suggest a GMC product, local dealer is bad.
that 7.3 was a hell of a good motor i would of kept that truck..
i have a 2000 dodge ram 3500 dully 4x4 it's older and my first dodge.
i like the way it rides ...
never had a ford but ford has all ways been the KING of rides ..
i would not buy a chevy an iv been a chevy owner all my life till i bought my first 99 2500 chevy,,,,
i think dodge is a nice truck and ford makes a nice truck tuff dishion
Old 08-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #55

We loved our 2001 RAM 2500 CTD for 19 years. We are loving our 2018 RAM 3500 Dually CTD we bought a year ago. The '01 did ride better empty but then, they are two different trucks. Nothing pulls like a Cummins or goes the distance IMHO.

Jim & Brenda
USMC Vet.
Asst. Fire Chief - Ret.
2018 RAM 3500 CC DRW
2017 Flagstaff Super Lite 29RKBS
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #56

The one thing about Ram, where I live, is longevity. They last 4 maybe 5 years before they become rust buckets. Too soon yet to tell of they solved the rotting bed sides and tailgates on the new body styles, but the older one, 2-3 YO are showing rust already. At least the F250 will last a very long time body wise. Easier to replace the motor and trans than the body. Anywhere salt and/or brine is used, its pretty much a guarantee they will rust.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #57

If your hell bent on finding the best ride then be scientific about it and make sure your really comparing the same thing.

When your comparing check the tire pressure. YES pull out a decent gauge and check all 4, and or TPM if it has it.

I know it may sound strange but If you drive truck X and it has pressure at 80+ PSI all around you might say it rides horrific but if you aired down to 45 rear and 65 front "depending on motor" you would say it's a rides great. Don't' believe me try it.

3/4 and 1 ton should have load range E but even a highway tread will feel different to a Mud tire.

Keep in mind you don't need max air until your loaded up... to Max weight Yet I suspect a lot of manufacturers and or dealers set tires to max.

Roads - if one dealer is on a crap road VS another on new pavement again you really need to take that into consideration.

I feel a bigger thing is to be honest in your planned loads. If your going to be light almost all the time then unloaded weight is important but if your going to load up to max then your test drive is somewhat meaningless. As all trucks when loaded act - ride differently.

All 3 manufacturers try to make their trucks drive plush, simple fact, just look at the changes over the past 30+ years. Coils, progressive Coils, epic long leafs, factory air suspension helpers, ETC.
Ford is notorious in having soft spring in the rear, so when loaded up then squat a lot, to the point where a lot of owners end up with air bags. Nice ride unloaded but bad loaded.
Dodge with the coils I have heard has - had this issue as well. This is where 1 ton shine in having the helper springs engage only with loads.
Chevy has independent front suspension.

If you really want a nice ride then look at kelderman.com It's hard to beat air ride suspension as its always based on the load of the day. If When I get another truck it will have full air ride.

imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
I'm not wild about GM in any case.

I've driven and owned both the Ram and the Ford 3/4 ton.

The Ford is an excellent truck. Excellent. Downside is; it's big. It's wide, it's tall and it's long. And it's pricey. They are seriously proud of the Super Duty to the point that it's almost ridiculous.

I currently own a Ram 2500 CTD. Love it. If you don't want a diesel, I absolutely, positively understand that. The 6.4 Hemi is an excellent engine. It was designed from the grounf up to be a truck engine for the 2500.

Also, the Ram 2500 uses coil springs, which gives you a better ride.

If you want a diesel, the Cummins wins hands down. Nothing is as good as a Cummins in a P/U. Nothing.

Gasser? The 6.4 Hemi is a little dated technology-wise but it is a very, very good, rock solid engine. The 6.2 Ford is also an excellent engine. The 7.3L Gasser isn't worth what they're asking right now. Over-priced. Bigly.

Keep in mind, the automobile business, including trucks, is a Market-Based industry, not a cost-based industry, therefore they're gonna ask, and get, whatever they can. As is their right.

And it is your right to shop the competition.

The Ford is absolutely a good truck. No doubt about it. But, for the money, the Ram is a runaway winner, IMHO.

Shop hard. Shop.Really.Hard. And don't be afraid to drive some distance to get what you want for the money. Half the vehicles sold anymore are sold before the buyer sets foot on the Dealer Lot.
I bought a Ram 1500 in April. Upgraded. My wife says better than her caddy. If they put half as much effort in the 2500 that they did on the 1500, you are going to love
alanhoffmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by samTummo View Post
Wow, what a truck. 36,000 tow cap, 2700 lb cargo cap. Trailer sway control, traction control, jake brake, tow mode, cruse control. Pulled a 24’ 10,000 5er to Alaska, traded that for a 33’ 9000 lb TT. I wouldn’t trade it for anything! Pulls up mountains like a beast. 80 mph highway 22 mpg. Only “issue” 25 gallon fuel capacity. Looking for a slip tank that will fit below the hard bed cover. Rides like a dream with the trailer, a little rougher empty. It helps a lot to adjust to the 10 ply 80 psi tires to the door tag. I think it states 50 front and 65 rear without a load. Always tow with 80 psi. TPMS reads by the pound, so it shows what is in the tire, never had a warning. 98,000 miles never a mechanical issue.

SamTummo
Be Safe!
Upgrade to a 60 gal tank:
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/10...ment-tank.html
Old 08-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #60

imjustdave comment

I really don't want to get in a pissing match about which truck is better. The experience I found when driving Rams is this, the first one owned was a 3/4 ton diesel 6 speed manual, I had a camper in the back, no fancy tires but the E rating MS tires all season, did not have an issue weight seemed to have helped, when the camper was not on the ride was different, but still comfy this was a 2002 Ram. Then I went to a 2008 ram 1 ton Mega cab, put air bags in the back because the 5th wheel i had put the truck lights up to the sky. I left 5lbs of air in the bags after the weighed was taken out the ride was good, even before i put air bags in I enjoyed the ride and handling. Making sure the tires where properly filled when loaded as per the recommendation of the manufacturer. Went to another 1 ton ram, put air bags in again as again the 5th wheel made the lights go to the sky. When not loaded always left 5 lbs of air in the bags. It seemed when adding weight the back end sagged and the ride was choppy. I carried 4 50lb. propane tanks in these two trucks as I worked in the patch in my fifth wheel. I am not disputing the fact that airbags help, with the ride, the tires you use and the air pressure in your tire will make a difference plus the shocks you have in your ride also helps with the ride. The vehicles I owned all had leaf springs in them since I have a 3/4 ton ram with rear coil springs there is a difference I noticed, handling,ride and the weight when added. the ride is really great even when I am towing my TT and weight in the box with extra stuff. Yes tires make a difference to which I am not disputing, it is up to the individual in what they want and how they feel in handling,comfort and ride. I drove for a auto hauler part time by moving vehicles from customer homes or to businesses or to be transported by truck to where ever needed so this gave me a chance to decide which vehicle to choose in buying for my personnel use in towing, hauling stuff when loaded. I think the best bet is for a person to rent a truck for a week do what they would do with it, towing, hauling crap in the box to the dump with the weight in it, this way they can make a decent choice as to what they want for ride, towing capabilities and how it handles and the comfort when doing all this. I have seen to many idiots loaded to the hilt, towing a trailer with no air bags or junk to the garbage, sand, gravel, dirt you name it, with the back wheels almost hitting the wheel well and complaining about the ride, handling of the vehicle. so it is best to say do your homework in what you want, rent the vehicle to do the things you would normally do to which would be the defining answer for all your needs and wants. Like I mentioned previously no pissing match as this is what I found for myself as each individual has their own ideas. If you want mudders, or other tires on its their choice but don't belly ache about the ride, or anything else that comes with the problem you created.
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ram