Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #21

My 1 7/8 socket is just a standard 1/2 in drive 6 point Craftsman and it worked. Maybe you are looking at big 1" drive thick walled sockets. I have a 20", 1/2" drive, breaker bar and I just put all my weight on it with it being held 90 degrees off in the receiver if that makes sense. Basically turn the head on it's side and let the truck hold it while you apply downward pressure on the wrench. If that socket would have cracked with that much torque oh well, Craftsman will give me another for free.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
A lot of the people who responded here don’t realize that access to the nut is restricted because of the design. A normal socket, ratchet or wrench won’t fit. You’ll probably have to take it to a RV dealer who sells them.

I hate the way to the e2 handled, it was the worst sway control system I’ve ever owned. I set it up perfectly, adjusted every which way and it just didn’t have the sway control I needed. Maybe if I had a giant truck it would have been better. It’s a system that performs better with leaf springs, not rear coils. I sold mine for $150 and was relieved to see it go.
deepseadan- out of curiosity, what were you towing with? I have an E2 hitch, am towing with a Durango, and love the hitch. Longest tow so far was about 3 weeks ago, 1-1/2 hours on combination of 4 lane expressway and 2 lane highway - trailer didn't budge. My main issue towing with the Durango is the porpoising, big dips in the road takes a bounce or two before the back end settles down.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
deepseadan- out of curiosity, what were you towing with? I have an E2 hitch, am towing with a Durango, and love the hitch. Longest tow so far was about 3 weeks ago, 1-1/2 hours on combination of 4 lane expressway and 2 lane highway - trailer didn't budge. My main issue towing with the Durango is the porpoising, big dips in the road takes a bounce or two before the back end settles down.

I’m towing with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. I had the same issue with porpoising, but the bigger problem for me was sway. I believe my problem was because I’m towing a small toy hauler. When the toy hauler is was ok, but when I added 1000 lbs of dirt bikes behind the rear axle it wasn’t happy. Even if I adjusted the height to add more friction it was still pretty sketchy. I ended up getting a Hensley arrow and if completely fixed my sway and helped a tiny bit with the porpoising. Then I added “in coil” air bags and run them with just a tiny bit of air (10 lbs) which helps the bouncing. You just have to be careful with the air bags cause they’ll take a load off your hitch which will lesson the friction and in turn lesson the sway control. I just kicked out the money and got a Hensley so I don’t have to stress about sway, adjustments and loading ever again.

One other issue I had was it seemed like weight distribution affected my fj more because of its smaller wheelbase. I really had to put some weight on those friction bars to fight the sway and it seemed to lighten up my rear end to much. I noticed it when braking on steep hills when going really slowly and trying to go up dirt roads. Now with the Hensley I only do enough wd to make a smooth ride and push the front down a little.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #24

Thanks for the response, that's good to know. I almost have the opposite problem, the TT has front end storage and my tongue is at 15% of the TT weight, and over my max tongue for the Durango.
The Hensley should definitely take care of the sway.
Safe travels.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
According to the instructions it requires a 1-7/8 socket and a torque wrench.

I've installed one myself.. I don't know why it is so difficult for you. Sorry.. maybe you've got the wrong socket.. they make deepwell, thin wall and several other types. Maybe I just had the perfect one. I'm positive it would have came from O'Reilly's. I'm not home right now to look at the socket.

Did you try looking on Amazon and reading reviews? The Q&A section is really helpful too.
I ended up getting my socket from Tractor Supply, too big. I read several Amazon reviews and didn't see any mention of the socket issue. A more thorough look at the reviews and I found it mentioned.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #26

Sounds great. Hopefully, that one works for you.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #27

deepseadan, the E2 has no Sway control. You must have the E4 if you want sway control, lots of folks don't understand the difference in the tow hitches.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
deepseadan, the E2 has no Sway control. You must have the E4 if you want sway control, lots of folks don't understand the difference in the tow hitches.
Including the manufacturer?

https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

The E2 absolutely has sway control.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #29

Go to the E2 web site they sell the special socket you need and have videos of the install process.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
You are incorrect.
It has 2 points of sway control.
But I prefer the 4pt Equal-i-zer because it has double the sway control and it's made in the US.
The E2 is made overseas and only has the 2 points of sway control. IMHO, it's fine for smaller trailers under 27' but the 4pt Equal-i-zer is best for larger trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You are incorrect.
It has 2 points of sway control.
But I prefer the 4pt Equal-i-zer because it has double the sway control and it's made in the US.
The E2 is made overseas and only has the 2 points of sway control. IMHO, it's fine for smaller trailers under 27' but the 4pt Equal-i-zer is best for larger trailers.

The e2 was horrible for my 17 ft toy hauler. In my opinion the e2 pairs better with bigger heavier duty tow vehicles where sway isn’t an issue to start with.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Apparently you fall into that group too. Lol
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote