Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel Hitch-slider or fixed?

Just purchased a Cardinal 3250RL fifth wheel. I have a 2015 F250 4x4 SuperCrew, diesel, with a 6 1/2 box with the factory installed fifth wheel hitch prep (puchs system). I am considering the Demco 18k auto slider (only one I could find that fits the puchs) or the B&W Companion 20k fixed for the puchs system. My main question is "do I need a slider hitch "? Would appreciate comments from F250 owners with the puch system pulling a fifth wheel and what type of hitch they recommend? Thanks!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Some will say yes. Some say no.

In my 350 w 6 3/4 bed.. I had a slider. Only used it once, but the fifth is brand new.

But, you are right. There's very few options for slider and factory fifth prep.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

I have a slider hitch in my 61/2 foot bed, never used it in four years. I pull a 37 ft. Silverback with a 2500 hd diesel Chevy.
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Just purchased a Cardinal 3250RL fifth wheel. I have a 2015 F250 4x4 SuperCrew, diesel, with a 6 1/2 box with the factory installed fifth wheel hitch prep (puchs system). I am considering the Demco 18k auto slider (only one I could find that fits the puchs) or the B&W Companion 20k fixed for the puchs system. My main question is "do I need a slider hitch "? Would appreciate comments from F250 owners with the puch system pulling a fifth wheel and what type of hitch they recommend? Thanks!
+1 on what Kenny said. I bought a slider for my application, because I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around. I have a similar 6.5' Ford box, and my friend does as well. He has dents pulling same brand FW. So not even a question for me. Also it increases height of the hitch, which I need. There are many adapters for what you have, don't feel like your stuck! Ford Underbed Adapter - Trailer Saver
https://www.google.com/#q=ford+under-bed+adapter Of course YMMV, good luck!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Check out the Andersen Ultimate. They have a rails version also. If you give them a call they can discuss suitability for your particular setup. I have found them to be very straight forward. If it's not right for your setup, they will tell you.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

I have a 2013 Ram with a short bed, I have yet to use my B&W slider, but I would hate the consequences of not having it.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Much appreciated!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterThePlumber View Post
+1 on what Kenny said. I bought a slider for my application, because I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around. I have a similar 6.5' Ford box, and my friend does as well. He has dents pulling same brand FW. So not even a question for me. Also it increases height of the hitch, which I need. There are many adapters for what you have, don't feel like your stuck! Ford Underbed Adapter - Trailer Saver

https://www.google.com/#q=ford+under-bed+adapter Of course YMMV, good luck!

That underbed adapter will not work with a slider.
I tried. I have the trailer saver air ride hitch, with their slider.
I called Hensley, they told me it will not work with a slider.

That's the kicker. It's the slider that throws the wrench in.
There's very few, slider plus underbed.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

Reese also makes a manual slider for the Ford Factory Puck system. That said, I don't use a slider and have never missed it on my 6'9" Ford bed. Can you have contact between the truck and RV if your not watching carefully? Sure. You can also have truck to tree contact if you're not watching carefully.

Another option if your not comfortable going without, is to install a Reese Sidewinder pinbox. It is much cheaper than a auto slider hitch and you can never forget to engage it like with a manual slider.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

I think you need more truck before the hitch!
That trailer will definitely overload your 250 once you add a couple of bodies in the seats and fill the trailer for camping. Please remember, NO ONE ever tows a dry trailer.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

Actually, they won't overload the truck. The 250 with the camper package is 100% identical to the SRW 350 but de-rated by Ford to fill a different market segment. The camper package on the 250 adds the single rear upper overload spring that the SRW 350 comes with standard. So, if you don't have the camper package, just add the spring if you find the truck sags under the pin weight. Bottom line is a 250 with the camper package is a SRW 350 with different door jamb stickers and emblems.

The only other thing I would recommend is upping the air pressure on your rear tires to 80 PSI during the towing season. While the 250 and SRW 350 share tires and wheels, the factory recommended air pressure is 65/65 on a 250 and 65/80 on a SRW 350.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Actually, they won't overload the truck. The 250 with the camper package is 100% identical to the SRW 350 but de-rated by Ford to fill a different market segment. The camper package on the 250 adds the single rear upper overload spring that the SRW 350 comes with standard. So, if you don't have the camper package, just add the spring if you find the truck sags under the pin weight. Bottom line is a 250 with the camper package is a SRW 350 with different door jamb stickers and emblems.
thanks, you just made my point. It is still labled as a 250 and has a 250s GVWR sticker on the door. Exceeding that door sticker allows several things to happen. Voiding mfg warrenty is the first. Liabability in case of accident is another. Were still a relatively free country, so the OP can do as he pleases. Just dont get in accident with me, because guaranteed I will own everything he has at the end of the day
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #13

You didn't mention liability in an accident. You said they would overload the truck which they won't and which was all I was responding to. No need to play arm chair attny. That just creates huge debates stronger than religion or politics on forums that does nothing but bring the mods in for some clean up and reprimanding! LOL.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

Have F250 Diesel 4x4 with Demco 18K auto slider under bed mounts. Pulling 16K added trail air king pin will never pull without auto slider in a short bed. Demco have model specific to Ford fit don't go for less
Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #15

I have an F350 Turbo diesel and pulled a Cardinal 29TS (33') with a Hijacker slider. I never used the slider due to the 8' bed.
What engine do you have in your truck?
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #16

Fred, the OP mentioned they had the 6.7 diesel in their initial post.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #17

I also have the Demco 18k autoslide in my Chevy. I have lots of clearance between cab and trailer, but it is worth every penny to be able to drive around and not even worry about whether I can clear a corner or not. I know lots of people who bought manual slides to save some $, then "Thought" they could clear a corner and tore up their truck. I love not having to worry about it, just make the corner and the slider handles the clearance issues.

Only drawback to the slider is because it is not the normal pyramid shape of a fixed FW hitch, you do get a little bit of chucking when on rough roads. Just the nature of the design. Not real bad, but you can definitely feel it compared to the fixed hitches. Easy trade for not tearing up my truck making a tight corner.
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #18

I love my Hensley air hitch.
Zero chucking and love watching the pin box just " float " on the bags.

It has a manual slide. Works just fine. I was steered away from auto sliders, as I'm told, they have the tendency to move the back of the truck under some circumstances.

Really, less to fail with manual sliders.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #19

I have a Super Glide automatic slider in my 2007 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab. During 8 years of pulling, I'd guess about 120k miles with a 5th wheel, only HAD to HAVE it 3 times. Those 3 times it was essential. You don't need a slider til you need it, then you can't do without it without damage. An auto slider is not essential, but would vote for that over a manual. Usually the situation when needed is very stressful, and engaging the slider might not be your first thought.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Short Beds without sliders don't dent cabs....DRIVERS of Short Beds without sliders dent cabs.

In my opinion, the drivers abilities are far more relevant to whether or not you should have a slider than what truck/trailer you have.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, slide, wheel