Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #21

Chocks

With our dual axle trailer, I use 8 rubber chocks from Harbor Freight.

I get our TT in place, then level left to right, then tightly chock the wheels, then unhitch and level front to rear. Safety chains are removed AFTER the hitch clears the ball and the trailer is level.

I've seen more than one run through the woods by itself. Not a calming sight.
Bob K4TAX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #22

I use and recommend Fastway One-Step Chocks on both sides of a dual-axle TT or 5vr. A one-time setup for proper length, and after that a few seconds to install, and a few more to remove. I do side-to-side leveling with boards long enough for both tires to sit on, and the One-Step chocks then fit right into place on top of the leveling boards. EZPZ
A couple of times I neglected to remove one chock before attempting to move our TT and it wasn't about to go anywhere.
$45 each on Amazon.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relder View Post
Proud owner of a 2022 2883ws, I have an issue with trailer slipping back sometimes when unhitching. I use the yellow stand blocks, chock the rear wheels but it seems like most of the times the trailer will slide back as I pull truck forward. Mostly a slight amount but other times an inch or so. If I have to level my rig it makes for a tricky unhitch. Suggestions appreciated.
What are you using to level your rig side to side? If using leveling blocks and tires are in the middle of blocks, and you have each tire chocked front and rear, 1” is not bad.

If really concerned, chock each tire front and back, and use an “X” chock between tires.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:28 PM   #24

Leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn721 View Post
What are you using to level your rig side to side? If using leveling blocks and tires are in the middle of blocks, and you have each tire chocked front and rear, 1” is not bad.

If really concerned, chock each tire front and back, and use an “X” chock between tires.
I use Hyper curve leveling blocks with wheel chocks with rubber pad.
Relder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #25

I use the fast way one step chock as well, I believe I wasn't setting it up correctly to really lock in place. It does now!!
Relder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #26

X-chocks are no substitute for ground to tire chocks. G2T chocks prevent the tire from moving when properly applied. X-chocks can allow the tires to move, regardless of how tight they are applied.

I use them on my 5th with the auto leveling, but they are the last thing to go on, first thing to come off. Also never put them on freshly traveled tires, when the tires cool they can almost fall off. They do exactly what they are designed to do, take the wiggle out, but not a substitute for the real ones. They work in pairs to get the wiggle out, but don't work at all to prevent both axles from moving at the same time like chocks do. .
Old 06-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Mine's a bumper pull, so maybe not apples-to-apples, but the premise should be similar.

When I park my trailer, I get it lined up and leveled, and then I put chocks behind the rear trailer axle - the big black Harbor Freight ones that NMWildcat mentions. Then I get in the truck, put it in reverse, and back up enough so that the chocks are preventing me from rolling back any further.

Then I put it in park and go put another set of chocks in front of the front axle. I put the truck in neutral to let the trailer even out the pressure between the two sets of chocks, so now it is lightly wedged between them. Back into Park for the truck.

Then I set my X-Chocks (because belt *and* suspenders, right?), and jump back in the truck. put it in neutral, foot off of the brake. If nothing moves, I'm happy - and I will go ahead and unhook. If I feel anything pushing or pulling, I start over and fix it.

If you have a 5th wheel and auto levelers and such, you probably don't need all of those steps. But if nothing moves when the truck is in neutral, then nothing should move (much) when you unhitch.

He’s right you know. If you follow this parking technique you will have zero issues. It’s what I have been doing for years…..
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relder View Post
Proud owner of a 2022 2883ws, I have an issue with trailer slipping back sometimes when unhitching. Suggestions appreciated.
Easy, effective, and cheap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98D0F255-3DB7-4938-A4A7-90C5D2F6D826.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	274890  
Klumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:05 AM   #29
Yukon_Bill

I put the truck in reverse and forward to move ever so slightly, to ensure no pressure on pentel, with wheels chocked good in both directions. I never have issues. Good luck and happy RVing
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #30

Yes, chocks kicked in place are the solution. But on one particularly unlevel site, I also pulled the pin for the trailer brakes until the truck was clear and the trailer was leveled. Curious on your thoughts on this, as it was a seat of the pants idea.
SkiBikePaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBikePaddle View Post
Yes, chocks kicked in place are the solution. But on one particularly unlevel site, I also pulled the pin for the trailer brakes until the truck was clear and the trailer was leveled. Curious on your thoughts on this, as it was a seat of the pants idea.

Cant hurt. I dont do it because the pin can be a PITA to get back in at times!
Old 06-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #32
Yukon_Bill

Trailer pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBikePaddle View Post
I’m not sure it’s a viable solution, as the trailer will still move with it pulled. Granted slight movement but caught cause shifting. I just switched over to a 5th wheel gooseneck Ball system. However, both systems need pressure off the pintal in order to release from trailer. To do so requires lifting trailer slightly. If legs are down and secure with weight settled I wouldn’t expect movements when release handle is pulled disengaging hitch. I use wheel chocks designed for 18-wheel rigs which works far better then plastic chocks. They have the scissors types that fit between the wheels, but my wheels are too close together to use. Best of luck
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, slide, slides, wheel