Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Find the right truck

I know what I want , how do I find it .? I made a deal with local dealer for my new truck . He found it through dealer network, but other dealer doesn’t want to release it. If my dealer can get the truck I will honor my end. If he can’t does anyone know of a way to find a truck with a copy of the window sticker. I went to Fords web site and found every dealer in the state. Long list. Not counting the dealers in contiguous states.
Looking for Ford F-250 4dr 4wd gasser. Plain truck sub $45k , I know it’s out there. Any ideas .
Canoso1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Do a build your own on the Ford Vehicles website. When finished choose the option to search dealer inventory. Works really well and it is fun to build what you want. Additionally you can print your configuration and have your local dealer order it just how you want......if you don't find one in stock. Happy shopping!
Old 07-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

Tried that

Yep went to Ford.whatever and did a build. Got a ship ton of replies pushing $75 k trux they had on the lot. Waste of time. As far as ordering, I’m sort of up against it, time wise. But the main reason for me against ordering, is buying anything sight unseen. Especially when it cost more than my first house. On the whole the internet buying experience is less than satisfying. But thanx for replying.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Go to a nationwide delivery dealer like Vernon Auto Group. https://www.vernonautogroup.com/
We have had excellent luck buying from them in finding exactly what we want, from fancy personal trucks to plain jane farm trucks. And the price is the price, no haggling BS. We call them up and 15 minutes later a new truck is on its way to the farm, and they drive back the trade if there is one.
They definitely beat every dealer, as far as cost and ease of transaction, anywhere near us.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Only 4

Thanx for input , but they only had four F250 trux. All deisel , prices weren’t bad but not great. Buying a gasser this time, probably pass before I wear out another deisel . The new ford pushrod 7 liter, gas burner looks rad. Thanx for responding.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoso1751 View Post
Thanx for input , but they only had four F250 trux. All deisel , prices weren’t bad but not great. Buying a gasser this time, probably pass before I wear out another deisel . The new ford pushrod 7 liter, gas burner looks rad. Thanx for responding.
An actual phone call works wonders. We have bought several trucks from them that never made it to the web pages. Just tell them what you want and you might be surprised.
And there is the fact that most dealers are running very low on inventory right now. My wife bought a new GMC Terrain in Tucson a few months ago. Two weeks later her sister decided she wanted one. There was not one GMC anything left on their lot, and everything coming in was already sold. Amazing times we live in.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Go to the dealer holding your truck get from them, other than the inter web buying and searching don’t see a lot of other options
Old 07-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #8

When I bought my 2019 SD I looked everywhere local and used the ford site. Limitations of the ford inventory site were about 200mi I think.

I figured I was not going to get exactly what I wanted. When I went online to get trade-in offers several dealers called. I told them exactly what I wanted. 3 of them were useless and stopped calling. One guy called back an hour later with 3 that met my needs. None of them on his lot but he was able to trade for the first one.

The dealers will usually work with each other until inventory gets low and then you have to go find the dealer that has it. Sometimes the dealers have poor trade abilities for various reasons (inventory, poor history, or cannot get enough of a deal to make it worth their time).

Mine was 400mi away so worth my haggle time to let the dealer trade for it. If they could not get it I would have found it via cargurus or other sites but then you have to go get it...if you tell the salesperson that's your truck, they either need to trade for it or tell you where to go get it.

Best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #9

A dilemma

Would it be ethical to offer the salesman a finders fee for his work hunting it down. Getting the truck from the other dealer was my plan if they wouldn’t swap.
I know , if I need to ask it probably isn’t.
I have been to everyone of the car guru type sights, no joy. Starting now to check adjacent states. Chinese aids flu sure has sure screwed up the market.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #10

I would factory order exactly what you want. Take delivery 6 weeks later.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #11

Canoso,

If you can establish contact with a Ford Credit Rep in your area, they have a lot of access. My Dau-in-Law is a Ford Credit rep for all the dealers in MT-Spokane area and she could find whats available quick. Not sure of you had a trade-in but that would not work well though.
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoso1751 View Post
I know what I want , how do I find it .? I made a deal with local dealer for my new truck . He found it through dealer network, but other dealer doesn’t want to release it. If my dealer can get the truck I will honor my end. If he can’t does anyone know of a way to find a truck with a copy of the window sticker. I went to Fords web site and found every dealer in the state. Long list. Not counting the dealers in contiguous states.
Looking for Ford F-250 4dr 4wd gasser. Plain truck sub $45k , I know it’s out there. Any ideas .
Here's the best I could do. Diesel.

One thing -- If you do decide to fly there and drive back...... Call first.

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-36579666

Some States make it very nearly impossible to buy from them.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 PM   #13

If you are a Costco member. Tell the dealer you are and give them your Costco member number. They can set you up. Or you can go to Costco.com and set yourself up in their car buyer section. I was a Contractor and never got better than 500 over invoice. Costco has a pre-agreed price on every new and used vehicle on any Factory Dealer lot plus companies like Carmax. They saved me thousands and after purchasing I keep saving. I feel like it is a dream. The other dealer will probably beat your price through Costco. Go get your truck
PeteFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:36 PM   #14

Truck

I had a similar issue when looking for a new F-350 diesel. They found the truck I wanted at another dealer. Promised it at a price we agreed on. Keep giving me a run around. After finding a similar truck at another dealer, 6 months later, I asked what was the problem. Was told they can not easily move the diesel long wheelbase trucks on standard single car carrier. Not sure I buy explanation.
Problem I had was I wanted a Lariat F-350 w/ black interior and plain white exterior-No sunroof. I looked out to a 500 mile radius, either not available or they did not want to discount. What I found was dealer had 1-F-350 for every 10 F-250s. Many were not willing to discount or had them soo loaded they were close to 80K. MANY HAD FEATURES LIKE, snow plow ready, built-in safe, or rear seat heater. This was in North Texas, frustrating. I tracked it for 6 months and finally settled for dark grey at great price.
Yep, w/ sunroof.
Good luck finding what you want, many good suggestions.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:32 AM   #15
Mopar Guy

if you want to know where that exact truck is (based on your question)

If you have the VIN, google it, or enter it in cargurus.
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #16

I agree that most MFG searches are not great. They let you set criteria you want but they do not let you set criteria you DON'T want. In general you can go and build your vehicile to your exact spec in the build your own tool but most of that is ignored when you go to search that. In addition you can sometimes see cars that are not available or not actually on the lot yet. When we were buying our last subaru I kept finding cars and I'd call about them and find out they were actually cars that were ordered for someone, so they were not available, or they were on order with no arrival date established yet. One thing can help is knowing the model code for the specific base package you are looking for. Or there may be a particular VIN digit that is important to the package you are looking for, takes some digging but can quickly rule out vehicles you're not interesting.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck