Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #1

fine tuning new hitch

I recently got a new WDH. Went for an 8000 lb'er since I tow a 6800 lb 23ikss. The hitch feels great on the interstate but on the local roads (Hilly and a little twisty) is seems to porpoise (?) and generally feel slightly unstable. The front of the trailer is slightly lower that the rear. The TV front wheel clearance is about the same hitched or not, I only have one link hanging when I am hitched. Would tilting the head back a notch and slightly raising the front of the trailer and having 2 or 3 links of chain hanging make the ride more secure.
jrctoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:55 AM   #2
MarcKc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctoby View Post
I recently got a new WDH. Went for an 8000 lb'er since I tow a 6800 lb 23ikss. The hitch feels great on the interstate but on the local roads (Hilly and a little twisty) is seems to porpoise (?) and generally feel slightly unstable. The front of the trailer is slightly lower that the rear. The TV front wheel clearance is about the same hitched or not, I only have one link hanging when I am hitched. Would tilting the head back a notch and slightly raising the front of the trailer and having 2 or 3 links of chain hanging make the ride more secure.
Only way to know is to try it. Most people I know prefer to tow a bit nose down but height of your truck and hitch location could change that. I dont know what you are towing with but having only one link hanging on a trailer that heavy seems to me to be not enough. I have a Roo23bds that weighs about 6000 pounds fully loaded and I have 4 links in when towing it at that weight. Have you measured your front rise unhitched vs hitched?
Lyrd44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch