Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
That's a TINY 5ver. It'll be even tinier after you add those extra batteries suggested by the author to allow you to go farther.

And I have no clue where the bed is located.

The 5ver design is just as stupid as the truck design, IMHO.

I'm guessing the author of this article has never had a travel trailer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #102

People's heads are exploding with this prototype. Chances are, it will look nothing like this by the time it goes to production. Might just want to wait a couple years when it finally goes into production.

Elon Musk is a brilliant guy. My opinion is he did this on purpose to get everyone taking about him vs waiting like the Rivian people are doing. Excellent marketing strategy.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #103

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead driving that thing. It's just fugly! It's the new Pontiac Aztec.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #104

I think Elon watched to much star wars as a kid his ideas Suck I think he should launch this to the sun to get rid of it. I feel sorry for the kids of the future if this is what they want.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The reason we use petroleum is that it was/is cheap and plentiful. Bonus is that its convenient. It's easily made into liquid, which offers many benefits in storage, transportation and use. There is literally no other material that comes close.

As such, our entire motor fuel infrastructure is based on liquid fuels. To come off of that paradigm involves a commitment from both fuel distributors AND consumers. IE... nobody wants an electric car if you can't get a recharge (fuel) away from home. And nobody wants to invest in building recharging stations if there is nobody buying electric cars. I credit Elon Musk for the impetus that will break this circular stalemate, and change us to an electric infrastructure. The guy is bat-guano crazy, but sometimes, crazy changes the world.

People speak of "running out of oil" as a catastrophe. It won't be. It will be one of the greatest events in industrial human civilization. Right now, with us literally floating on an ocean of cheap oil, there is little economic benefit to develop alternatives. Remember when e85 and other biofuels were going to save us, and put us on the ethanol economy instead of a petroleum one. That was when oil was $140-ish a barrel. That whole industry went *poof* when oil prices slumped. When the last drop of oil is pumped out of the earth, we will finally turn away from such things and develop a way to easily store and use hydrogen without high pressures or super-low temperatures.

But it seems oil is here to stay, at least for at least as long as we are all alive.

Tim
What you have said makes sense and I like that it isn't hyperbole, exaggeration and other nonsense. Yes, we will use oil until it doesn't make economic sense. That includes the cost of extraction, refining, marketing and delivery to the end user--us.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #106

The Cybertruck will not be a 5th wheel tow rig. Between the unibody construction, the sliding ramp thing, and the high angled sidewalls, it's just going to be an operation in futility. Now there arealy exists the best camper design for the Tesla anyway, well actually 2 possibilities. One a popup. This is going to be the best choice as it will have the smallest impact on the already difficult problem of range. And 2nd an Airstream. More impact on range than a popup but at least a normal camper. Paying twice as much for something doesn't seem to be a stumbling block for most Tesla buyers so an Airstream fits pretty well.

I think the only real option will be the popup. Anything else turns a camping trip into a drive an hour, find a charger and charge an hour. In a 10 hour day you will barely cover 1/2 of any western state.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The Cybertruck will not be a 5th wheel tow rig. Between the unibody construction, the sliding ramp thing, and the high angled sidewalls, it's just going to be an operation in futility. Now there arealy exists the best camper design for the Tesla anyway, well actually 2 possibilities. One a popup. This is going to be the best choice as it will have the smallest impact on the already difficult problem of range. And 2nd an Airstream. More impact on range than a popup but at least a normal camper. Paying twice as much for something doesn't seem to be a stumbling block for most Tesla buyers so an Airstream fits pretty well.

I think the only real option will be the popup. Anything else turns a camping trip into a drive an hour, find a charger and charge an hour. In a 10 hour day you will barely cover 1/2 of any western state.
I think you'd be lucky to get across Ohio!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 AM   #108

Electrics are best considered local cars

I didn't read through the whole thread, but we live over in 4 buckistan, and the morons decided to tax the transportation fuel the most, so diesel isn't the answer for daily drivers either.
OK, rant off. For our daily drivers we have an electric and a hybrid.
The first electric was a 15 Volt that I leased, only because I knew it was an interim technology. The wife was able to do all of her daily errands on the 40 mile range without having to use gas. Although it could continue on gas, we rarely drove it anywhere past its electric range. I had a TDI passat for long distance. After VW bought it back, I bought a 17 Malibu hybrid that is now our distance car, and also what we tow behind the RV.
My wife had the choice of any car she wanted when the Volt lease was up, and she chose a Bolt. She got spoiled by never having to go to a gas station. She simply plugs the car in when she gets home. We use the Malibu for the distance car most of the time.
We have driven the Bolt to LA (180 miles) with plenty to spare, but it needs to be charged to go back.
Even with DC fastcharge, it probably takes 2 hrs to charge, and 240 7.5 KW takes 9 hrs from empty. Just like gas, it's not completely empty when we charge it.
DC fastcharge gives 90 miles in 1/2 hr, but batteries charge to about 2/3s quickly, and the rest trickles in comparatively.

So, in my opinion, as an electric owner, electric is great for a local car, but not for distance. I don't care how far a Tesla goes on a charge, with the current battery tech, it'll only charge to about 2/3s quickly, and the rest takes a while. Sure it can be done, but it's a lot easier to just stop for gas.
My prediction is that battery electrics will eventually be the automobile propulsion, and assuming that eventually we'll have the tech to obtain hydrogen without breaking down natural gas, hydrogen based electrics will power OTR trucks that will be able to refuel with hydrogen fairly quickly.
The tech isn't here yet to practically replace diesel for OTR trucks. Hydrogen powered cars aren't practical yet either.
Sorry so long, I just wanted to share my experience as an electric owner.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #109

It's official, Cybertruck has worst in class payload, towing, and range at the highest price. It's a 2500 or 3/4 ton.
https://insideevs.com/news/387790/te...comments-block
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It's official, Cybertruck has worst in class payload, towing, and range at the highest price. It's a 2500 or 3/4 ton.
https://insideevs.com/news/387790/te...comments-block
That's funny. I'd like to see a rematch between it and a '20 F250 6.7 Powerstroke 4WD.

I bet the Powerstroke drags it for miles.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric