Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 12:50 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS View Post
I have Reese Sidewider and Reese wedge that is supposed to be for the Reese hitch plate, I have found the Sidewinder kingpin with the Reese wedge allows the kingpin to move on the hitch plate. Is there a better wedge?
You need to order the wedge made for your hitch. I have Reese edge for mine.

FTR I can move my sidewinder by hand, Need to grease it with white lithium. I was also able to move my Revolution by hand. If you don't grease the plate and centre bearing it won't move and possible damage the wedge.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:15 AM   #42

I'm a rookie … no, make that ROOKIE. Until about a month ago I had never towed - or backed up - anything longer than a 10' utility trailer.

We had a C-class and sold it a while ago but DW missed camping so I bought a 2012 Ram 2500 4x4 CC SB and she bought a 31' Flagstaff.

I heard horror stories of people crushing or at least crunching their TT and short bed TV making too sharp of a turn, so I was going to buy a sliding receiver (PullRite SuperGlide). The cost was $1,897 installed $(including rails, in-box 7-way connector, etc. since my bed was bare.

I called the RV dealer to see which capture plate I needed and he told me I couldn't use one with this particular trailer because it had a "Reese Revolution" pin box (aka SideWinder).

The Superglide receiver itself was $1,089 - but since it wouldn't work with the Revolution pin box I ended up going with a Curt E 16 for $1,198 installed (including rails, brackets, 7-way, etc.) The receiver only price was $581.

I can't compare the Revolution to anything else because I've never used anything else, but I can comment on a couple of things.

1) I have had absolutely no problems at all hooking up - and as someone else said, as long at the pin is aligned with the receiver you can approach from any angle.

2) I can't imagine any possible way of the trailer contacting the cab corner of my truck unless I was being really, really stupid and/or not paying attention.

3) You would lose a LOT of bed space with a slider (I wouldn't even consider a manual slider - I'm far too lazy) - using a standard type receiver only takes up a small footprint in your bed, so you can still carry other items (coolers, generator, etc.)

4) We have a fairly tight parking spot for the trailer, and our house is on a residential street - narrow street and 90 degree narrow parking spot, but I haven't had any problem getting the TT parked.

I've heard some claims that the aluminum Anderson has an 8" (or whatever) offset that allows for tighter turning, but (at least in my mind), moving the contact point 8" rearward shifts the weight distribution rearward as well, which would light the load on the front tires. Supposedly this isn't the case - somehow the geometry of the Anderson allegedly keeps the weight over the axle where it belongs … this simply doesn't pass the sniff test in my brain, but like I said, I'm a rookie.

I think, just my opinion, that the biggest advantage of the Anderson is the weight.

My other thought is that I would rather have the 22" afforded by the Revolution/sidewinder over the 8" from the Anderson.

I have no idea on the cost of anything other than the PullRite SuperGlide and the Curt E 16, so that would probably be another consideration.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #43
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just to set the record straight...
A Revolution or Sidewinder functions just like any other pin box with the lock out bolts installed.

With the bolts in, you can use ANY hitch you want.

It's only when you remove the lock out bolts and use it with its pivot point 22" back that you must use the wedge. You have to use the wedge so you don't have two pivot points.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Just to set the record straight...
A Revolution or Sidewinder functions just like any other pin box with the lock out bolts installed.

With the bolts in, you can use ANY hitch you want.

It's only when you remove the lock out bolts and use it with its pivot point 22" back that you must use the wedge. You have to use the wedge so you don't have two pivot points.
That is Precisely Correct.

BUT, it is with that wedge in the front (the correct wedge for your particular Fifth Wheel Hitch) that the magic happens, center of rotation 22" aft, easier backing, no worries regarding hitting cab of truck, etc. etc.)

I am sure I will get dome who disagree but after having a slider and a Sidewinder, I would Never choose any pin box but a sidewinder, even if I had an 8' bed.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
That is Precisely Correct.

BUT, it is with that wedge in the front (the correct wedge for your particular Fifth Wheel Hitch) that the magic happens, center of rotation 22" aft, easier backing, no worries regarding hitting cab of truck, etc. etc.)

I am sure I will get dome who disagree but after having a slider and a Sidewinder, I would Never choose any pin box but a sidewinder, even if I had an 8' bed.
I agree .... I just got new Ram and I made sure to get 8' bed even though I have a Turning Point on my Rockwood .... the ease of hook up and no worry towing/turning/tracking and backing up is great .... if we ever upgrade our Rockwood the truck and 8' bed will handle any 5ver we would buy ... I ordered the B&W wedge for my Patriot hitch
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #46

hitch height

Just watch the hitch height and the trailer height. The 3500 rides high and we had a slope of about 9 inches on the 5th wheel trailer front to back with a slider hitch.

We got a shorter hitch that turns (so it doesn't crunch the cab) and I put on bigger (taller) tires and wheels when we had a blowout in Texas. So now we are maybe 2-3 inches out of level. Ok by me.

Friends have had their trailer raised by welding on 6" tall I-beams to the trailer bottom. We could not do that since the FR Arctic Wolf has insulation sprayed on the frame.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #47

5th wheel hitch

Not to change the subject, but do 5th wheel hitches need to be checked after a number of years? We have the sliding one and have had it since 2003. Do they wear out?
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #48

We have 3 trailers, all goose necks, so when we got our fifth wheel camper, we contacted Lippert, who advice us to get the Reese conversion to a gooseneck and if we used that conversion it would not void the warranty. The Reese conversion is pricey, but well worth the money. Our trailer doesn't weave about. So, if you want my suggestion, go with a goose neck.
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Wife and I may be upgrading to a (SOB) fiver and I am looking at hitches. Quick background... we live in FL, not much uneven terrain, maybe pull 2,000-3,000 miles per year

I have a 1-ton ram with 6'4" box. My options are;

1. Andersen - +/- 9" offset full time, may or may not be enough for tight turns.

2. Sidewinder setup - should work with very few issues if any, other than reported pita while hitching

3. Auto slider - should work fine, but, heavy and requires capture plate which could cause the same concerns as sidewinder with needing a straight line to hitch

4. Manual slider - this is where my questions start... at what point does just a sharp turn/u-turn situation require sliding? I understand that a manual slider can be good for maneuvering into a camp site, but, does this really work on the road?

5. Goosebox - I presume this will not work, though it would be my preferred setup if it did.

As of now, I am leaning toward trying the Andersen first since it's the cheapest option. If I find it doesn't work (hopefully through testing and not the hard way on the way home from dealership), I would probably move to a sidewinder setup. Thoughts from others towing with a shortbed?
When I had a short bed truck I used a Demco Hijacker. It doesn’t require a capture plate and worked well for years.
EarlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #50

The Goose box is the way to go!
DAHVGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #51

Yes, your hitch is mechanical, so it needs to be maintained. You need to retorque all mounting bolts at least yearly. Oil any moving parts and ensure everything works smoothly.
Do they wear out? I'm sure that given enough use they could, but for normal use I can't see them wearing out. I have a standard fifth wheel hitch that is 25 years old, and it still works perfectly with yearly maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
Not to change the subject, but do 5th wheel hitches need to be checked after a number of years? We have the sliding one and have had it since 2003. Do they wear out?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #52

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 box , originally had a Curt slider but it was heavy and clunky. Too much play between the moving parts led for a rough tow and we never used the slider.
We bought a new FR Sandstorm 5ver toy hauler and I decided to go with the Anderson hitch due to the fact is was no moving parts, lite weight,, rated beyond the weight of my trailer and very affordable.
I’m very happy with it and it has served us well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41B233F3-2B00-4CCA-B60F-25564914E1E1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	221654  
ClaeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Wife and I may be upgrading to a (SOB) fiver and I am looking at hitches. Quick background... we live in FL, not much uneven terrain, maybe pull 2,000-3,000 miles per year

I have a 1-ton ram with 6'4" box. My options are;

1. Andersen - +/- 9" offset full time, may or may not be enough for tight turns.

2. Sidewinder setup - should work with very few issues if any, other than reported pita while hitching

3. Auto slider - should work fine, but, heavy and requires capture plate which could cause the same concerns as sidewinder with needing a straight line to hitch

4. Manual slider - this is where my questions start... at what point does just a sharp turn/u-turn situation require sliding? I understand that a manual slider can be good for maneuvering into a camp site, but, does this really work on the road?

5. Goosebox - I presume this will not work, though it would be my preferred setup if it did.

As of now, I am leaning toward trying the Andersen first since it's the cheapest option. If I find it doesn't work (hopefully through testing and not the hard way on the way home from dealership), I would probably move to a sidewinder setup. Thoughts from others towing with a shortbed?
We are on our second HiJacker Autoslide by Demco. Love the hitch, we have been across Canada and back, Yukon and Alaska, and all the way down to the tip of Baja Mexico, never a problem. We have been in and out of some really tight spots.

Drawbacks: The hitch is heavy and you can only be off 15 degrees for hooking and unhooking.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
We are on our second HiJacker Autoslide by Demco. Love the hitch, we have been across Canada and back, Yukon and Alaska, and all the way down to the tip of Baja Mexico, never a problem. We have been in and out of some really tight spots.

Drawbacks: The hitch is heavy and you can only be off 15 degrees for hooking and unhooking.
Demco was great to us. When we were staying in West Omaha, NE, I realized late on a Friday evening, where one of the two screws holding the neoprene top plate had back out and gouged the steel tube it slides on. Tried a couple of RV dealers on Saturday but they weren't able to do anything for us. The RV dealer in Council Bluffs, IA put us onto Council Hitch who wouldn't be open till 8am Monday morning. Showed up at their doorstep as they opened and CH took us in even though they had never really worked on a Demco before. The Demco warranty individual was very helpful in talking with the tech from CH. Demco overnighted the parts to CH and even reimbursed us for the labor being it was still under warranty. Would recommend both the Demco AutoSlide and Council Hitch in Council Bluffs, IA.

Advantages:
- No adapter plate needed.
- Don't have to remove a plate to have someone else (like RV dealer) to move your unit.
- Can hook up to any 5th wheel with only the possibility of having to adjust a guide (with two adjusting bolts) on each side of the hitch.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:02 AM   #55
KSH

I have a ram 2500 with Rambox. Was very concerned about turning radius.
Got the anderson, no problems.
Lippert 1621 pin Box, and the trailer nose is raked/angled.
You can see in the second picture I could keep turning beyond 90, clearly no reason to do so, but plenty of room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191215_151712.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	221717Click image for larger version

Name:	20191215_145527.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	221718
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #56

Got the Andersen installed last night with the new bed shaft that Andersen made for this setup. Seriously a 5 minute install in the truck, very pleased with that aspect. Pick up the fiver on Monday, I'll come back and give thoughts on the hour and a half tow back home and hopefully do some tests with turning.

ksh2 and ClaeTA, I notice that you guys have the funnel turned backwards, what was your limiting factor on that? Side rail clearance with the pinbox? I anticipate needing to do the same, just curious on how you came to that decision. ClaeTA, is your toy hauler 100" wide or the standard 96"? We're going to be 100", so, that was another concern. You guys look like you both have great clearance. Hope mine is the same.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
We have 3 trailers, all goose necks, so when we got our fifth wheel camper, we contacted Lippert, who advice us to get the Reese conversion to a gooseneck and if we used that conversion it would not void the warranty. The Reese conversion is pricey, but well worth the money. Our trailer doesn't weave about. So, if you want my suggestion, go with a goose neck.
Lippert will always tell you to get a goosebox. Lippert is the exclusive distributer of goosebox hitches. So they make money on every sale of one. It's also the reason they "void" the warranty for using any of the competitions hitches. Its not that the competitions hitches are bad, its just they dont make a profit on them. It also gives them any easy out when they dont want to warranty a frame repair.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #58

I picked up my camper two days ago. I also have the Andersen hitch. Pulled great.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #59
Always Learning

Quote:
Got the Andersen installed last night with the new bed shaft that Andersen made for this setup. Seriously a 5 minute install in the truck, very pleased with that aspect. Pick up the fiver on Monday, I'll come back and give thoughts on the hour and a half tow back home and hopefully do some tests with turning.
I'm at the Thousand Trails in Clermont for a while if you find you need anything while getting your new rig.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
When we bought our 5er I fully expected to have a Pullrite which required a capture plate. Luckily the dealer had just found out about the Demco AutoSlider. It works great with no need for a capture plate, though it is heavy. Had to make a U-turn last year, no worries about making it with the Demco.
X2 I love my DEMCO Aotoslider
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch