Old 01-15-2020, 10:54 PM   #61
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Got the Andersen installed last night with the new bed shaft that Andersen made for this setup. Seriously a 5 minute install in the truck, very pleased with that aspect. Pick up the fiver on Monday, I'll come back and give thoughts on the hour and a half tow back home and hopefully do some tests with turning.

ksh2 and ClaeTA, I notice that you guys have the funnel turned backwards, what was your limiting factor on that? Side rail clearance with the pinbox? I anticipate needing to do the same, just curious on how you came to that decision. ClaeTA, is your toy hauler 100" wide or the standard 96"? We're going to be 100", so, that was another concern. You guys look like you both have great clearance. Hope mine is the same.
I put it that way since I have the ramboxes I wanted to pull it in closer. The nose on the trailer has a sharp angle. I didn't try it the other way around.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm at the Thousand Trails in Clermont for a while if you find you need anything while getting your new rig.
Thanks, I appreciate it. My in-laws stay there when they come visit.

How do you like your new rig? We're going with open range, hoping it treats us well.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #63

Every fiver situation is a little different. The Anderson system is flexible.

Here the Rambox requires reversing the adapter. Fortunately his nose is very seriously shaped to accommodate the short tv bed. Mine is not.

I would have had to use the ball extender to mount my hitch like that.

Had to use the other Anderson shaft with the extender.

I had considered buying the open range light fifth wheel. However, it really could not be towed with a 3/4 or one ton truck(pin was too low). Other models had really heavy tongue weights. Two years ago. Stuff changes. Ended up with the CC Hathaway.

Shopping for a fifth wheel is difficult! There are a ton of gotcha’s.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #64
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate it. My in-laws stay there when they come visit.

How do you like your new rig? We're going with open range, hoping it treats us well.
It's not bad all things considered. We've been in it for 2 years now. I'm afraid that I might be looking at replacing a bunch of floor due to an unknown water leak (behind a false wall). But that's to be seen.

Friends have loved their Open Range rigs. What model did you get?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #65

Quote:
It's not bad all things considered. We've been in it for 2 years now. I'm afraid that I might be looking at replacing a bunch of floor due to an unknown water leak (behind a false wall). But that's to be seen.

Friends have loved their Open Range rigs. What model did you get?
Ugh, that stinks. One reason I want to get rid of our current rig is that the pipes under the sink leak with anything over like 30 psi. It will definitely be something to keep an eye on with the new one.

We're getting the 371MBH. Mid bunk/play room for the girls and still good living space. With the TT, we were always dodging a dog or some toy and could barely move around, so, the extra space will be awesome.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #66
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Ugh, that stinks. One reason I want to get rid of our current rig is that the pipes under the sink leak with anything over like 30 psi. It will definitely be something to keep an eye on with the new one.

We're getting the 371MBH. Mid bunk/play room for the girls and still good living space. With the TT, we were always dodging a dog or some toy and could barely move around, so, the extra space will be awesome.
When/where is the first trip?

I'm trying to decide between Moss Park in Orlando vs. Kelly Springs park at the end of the month for a short 4-night stay (Tues-Sat).
Old 01-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #67

Quote:
When/where is the first trip?

I'm trying to decide between Moss Park in Orlando vs. Kelly Springs park at the end of the month for a short 4-night stay (Tues-Sat).
Not sure yet. Wife just got back to work from maternity leave and has a couple trials coming up, so, probably nothing until the end of February or early March. Hard to find anything in season, I was looking at going north to ichetuckney springs or something like that.

We're scheduled for Destin at the end of April, excited about that one.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #68

#4 answer- just before trailer hits the window/cab.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #69

Picked up the new rig today. I was really impressed with the tow. We were just over an hour from home, got to tow old one down and new one back. Even double the weight, the fiver felt great on the Andersen. No issues at all hitching.

I turned the funnel in the reverse position, but, will experiment with that when I have some time. It was a long day, but, we love this unit. Can't wait to get it out for a trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200120_122057.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	222118
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #70
Head Rambler

Good looking rig. I know y'all will enjoy it.
Think of all of us when you're camping and having a good time.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #71
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Picked up the new rig today. I was really impressed with the tow. We were just over an hour from home, got to tow old one down and new one back. Even double the weight, the fiver felt great on the Andersen. No issues at all hitching.

I turned the funnel in the reverse position, but, will experiment with that when I have some time. It was a long day, but, we love this unit. Can't wait to get it out for a trip.

Attachment 222118
Congrats! Looks like LazyDays?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Congrats! Looks like LazyDays?

Yes, overall, a pretty good experience. We probably had an hour or 2 longer in our day due to them getting back to normal after the show. It was a long day. Got there around 9:45 and didn't leave until 4ish. Good PDI though and they actually fixed the small issues we found while we were doing paperwork, so, that was good.

We have one outstanding item they are supposed to follow up with me on, so, I'll be interested to see how that goes, and, how service is after a shakedown trip or 2.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #73

Ran an experiment yesterday. When I towed home from the dealer, I had the funnel in the reverse position (funnel toward tailgate). Everything towed fine, but, I know I won't get as much turn in that position.

Yesterday, I flipped it around and ran some tests. I'm a couple inches over my bed rails on tight turns with the pin box, that is the concern this way. I was able to get about 80* though which is pretty solid for a wide body fiver and short bed.

I'm a bit undecided right now, going to turn it back around and see how much turn I can get with the funnel in the reverse position. I can handle everything backing up I think, my concern is in a tight turn going forward, I don't want to have any issues in "normal" driving.

Either way, the Andersen is going to work well for me. I just have to decide if I want to risk bed rails in the event of an off camber situation (only a sidewinder helps here), or, sacrifice a little turn angle a little for that piece of mind.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #74

The dealer installed mine with the funnel in the forward position but then reversed it after taking some measurements. Apparently in the reversed position I still have plenty of turning radius but the reversal put the weight a bit more forward over the truck bed. This is all new to me.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch